Introducing...my new ride! :P

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueCamasRabbitry

Reaction score
I thought I would introduce you guys all to my new mount, Sonny. He is my boss's horse, and part of my job is to ride & groom him. He's approx 17 yrs. old, and is a Chestnut QH/Appy cross. About 15.2 hands.

I went out to see him today, and gave him a quick ride. He hasn't been ridden in over a year, so we're just going slow with him and getting him used to being ridden again. I let him lope today at the end of the ride, and I was VERY surprised at how smooth it was; especially since he has a slight swayback. He's definitely a very comfortable bareback mount. :) I've ridden horses before at a lope & gallop in saddle and almostlost my seat, but with him I only started slipping when he started slowing as his strides became choppier. He'llbe a nice mount with a saddle for loping & galloping. My plan is to turn him into a barrel horse, which is going to be a feat because he's an English horse...so we might end up just sticking with English instead. All depends. I am riding Western/Bareback for now as his owners don't have any English tack...yet. :D

He has a lot of things that need to be worked on - like listening to his rider 100% of the time, turning right, stopping on command, and just getting used to being undersaddle again.

Here are some pictures of him today; I will have riding pictures hopefully the next time I go out...either tomorrow, or Sunday.

RidingSonnyNov002.jpg

RidingSonnyNov004.jpg

RidingSonnyNov006.jpg

RidingSonnyNov007.jpg

RidingSonnyNov003.jpg
I like this pic of him, even though his head is cut off, and he's shakin'. lol.

Emily

just love the expression on his face in that first pic - "me? listen to my rider?? dont make me laugh"

good luck with him. i rode for years in my younger days - english and bareback - and still miss it:)

Donna, haha that's probably exactly what he's thinking. I tried riding him in the roundpen, but he wasn't having any of it, so I ended up taking him out into the pasture. He still gave me a hard time, but we were actually moving forward, instead of spinning & sidestepping. :rollseyes

Thanks. :) I'm hoping he improves enough that I might be able to take him to a couple 4-H shows, or playdays. :)

Emily

BlueCamasRabbitry wrote:
. He still gave me a hard time, but we were actually moving forward, instead of spinning & sidestepping. :rollseyes

Emily

tell him if he continues you will plait his mane, varnish his hooves and enter him in dressage:biggrin:

sounds like he's had things his own way for a while! tho nimbleness would be useful if he's to be a barrel horse (that is riding around barrels in events isnt it? or am i that out of touch!):)

Congrats on your "new ride"! Totally awesome! I got my 2nd this October 2nd. Now I have two "rides".

And boy, he is a beautiful boy! And love his name!

He is gorgeous. my mom is a barrel trainer so If you need help at anytime just let me know you can call or text 208-249-1752 at anytime, my mom gotto compete against and learn fom martha josey and charmaynejames. what kind of barrel bit do you use?

Hartleybun barrels are a rodeo event. It is also called a cloveleaf patter (so if you've seen a clover leaf you can imagine the pattern). It is a timed event. So the person with the lowest time and no faults wins (a fault for barrels is knocking over a barrel adding 5 seconds to the time for each barrel knocked over)

this vid has some great training tips, click on her channel for great training vids

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25yLgL168CA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25yLgL168CA[/ame]

Charmayne James and Scamper= 11 time world champions

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqdU-8f5Uco&feature=related]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqdU-8f5Uco&feature=related[/ame]

Oh My Darlin Rabbitry wrote:
Hartleybun barrels are a rodeo event. It is also called a cloveleaf patter (so if you've seen a clover leaf you can imagine the pattern). It is a timed event. So the person with the lowest time and no faults wins (a fault for barrels is knocking over a barrel adding 5 seconds to the time for each barrel knocked over)
:thanks::biggrin2:

Now that's my kind of ride!!

I used to ride alot but now I barely get the chance. My best friend owns a horse and she boards it at her cousins who has 3 horses so we get out sometimes....it's nice cause I just get to enjoy them, I don' have to clean up, feed or do barn chores, LOL

hartleybun wrote:
Oh My Darlin Rabbitry wrote:
:thanks::biggrin2:

your welcome.

Crystal

Haha isn't he the perfect type of transportation? :)

I went riding on Sunday and actually got him to work in the roundpen. He was doing very well. Still hopping & bucking a bit, but I was able to get him going in a circle and he responded to my leg cues nicely when asking for a trot & a lope. :D He responds easy to clicking of the tongue as well. Just two clicks and he automatically goes into the next gait. :D

His trot is insanely choppy though. :/ I kept asking him to go straight to the lope because his lope is much smoother.
No pics from riding. Will be going back out this weekend though. :)

ETA: Crystal that's really cool! Right now we're just doing refresher work, so no barrel training just yet. I'm not exactly sure what bit he has, but it looks like some type of snaffle bit to me? Lol. Once we start, I might try him in a hackamore, as that seems very popular on the barrel circuit right now, but it all depends on how he responds in one. ;) He needs a new western saddle first, but since I'm not his owner, I can't really decide that, hah.

Emily

Try dif. barrel bits on him an see what he responds to. for the crow cropping and bucking you could try a buck stop, it was made by monty roberts and works really well. you could always try posting while he trots lots of reigner and barrel racers ect use it, it saves on their back and legs wich is essential tobarrel horses, martha josey uses this technique.

could you send me pics of the bit? my phone is a pic phone if you want todo itway.

Crystal

Yup, I'll get pictures of the bit next time I'm out. ;)

I can only post to his trot, but for the most part I find myself trying to stay in the saddle! lol. When I do finally get a secure seat, I post. I'm used to posting while riding English, so haven't yet learned how to sit to the trot. It's painful to try to do so right now. Hah.

Emily

I ride for PE credit at school. Cornell has about 25 different PE horses and I've ridden maybe 10 of them over the last 5 semesters (I definitely have my favorites). Some of them have really comfortable trots to sit and others are just impossible; even if I can get them pretty collected it's still super bouncy.

missyscove wrote:
I ride for PE credit at school. Cornell has about 25 different PE horses and I've ridden maybe 10 of them over the last 5 semesters (I definitely have my favorites). Some of them have really comfortable trots to sit and others are just impossible; even if I can get them pretty collected it's still super bouncy.

That must be a dream to ride for PE credit! I would definitely do that! I'm guessing Cornell is a vet school?

Emily

I'm an undergraduate Animal Science student. Cornell also has a vet school (arguably the best in the country) but I'm not in it (at least not yet).

We have to do two semesters of PE to graduate. I'm well over that requirement now but I love it so I've been keeping it up. We also have varsity equestrian and polo teams.

He's a nice looking guy and I love horses.Thanks for bringing back memories as a 10 year old kid riding my neighbors pacers bareback,such a smooth ride.I cant believe that was 74 years ago.

Bill

^^Thank you Bill!:) And your welcome, too!

I made another post on my local CL for horse work in exchange for pay & one or two lessons a month, but someone offered stall cleaning/turnout/feeding in exchange for riding & drill team, and they're right down the road, so I jumped at the offer. :) I'll still be able to get a part-time job, too, which must be done soon if I plan on doing drill team.

Anyway, I got to go out on Sunday, cleaned stalls, etc. and then the lady put me on her QH stallion. He was extremely well behaved, as he's been trained to respect his handlers/riders. Very nice horse. Then I went out yesterday, and rode the horse I'll be using for drill team. He's a Chestnut Pinto Arab/Paint cross, or so we think. Haha. He's very gorgeous. His name is Jake. I'll have to get some pictures of him soon. He has one blue eye, which is just the neatest thing. :)

More pics coming soon! I might be going out to the barn tomorrow to work with Jake, so I'll take some pics of him. :)

Emily

Latest posts

Back