Introducing baby bunny to the family bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seini Takitaki

Reaction score
I have had my current bunny (mini lop) for around 5-6 months now, and she(Daisy) is two years old. She has been desexed and we thought it would be a good idea to get her a friend as I am going to start university next year and may not be able to spend as much with her as I have in the past. We got her a 9 week old female mini lop(Willow) and I am not 100% sure on how to get them comfortable with each other. So far, I have put their two hutches side-by-side and allow them 10-15 minutes of supervised 'together' time, before putting them back into their separate hutches. I don't feel comfortable leaving Willow alone with Daisy full time until she gets a bit bigger because the size difference is crazy. When they are together, Daisy tries to lay on top of Willow, but I can see she is being gentile, is this a concern?? Also, is what I'm doing okay?? Should I be doing something different?? Also should I get Willow desexed if Daisy is?? If so, when??

I have had my current bunny (mini lop) for around 5-6 months now, and she(Daisy) is two years old. She has been desexed and we thought it would be a good idea to get her a friend as I am going to start university next year and may not be able to spend as much with her as I have in the past. We got her a 9 week old female mini lop(Willow) and I am not 100% sure on how to get them comfortable with each other. So far, I have put their two hutches side-by-side and allow them 10-15 minutes of supervised 'together' time, before putting them back into their separate hutches. I don't feel comfortable leaving Willow alone with Daisy full time until she gets a bit bigger because the size difference is crazy. When they are together, Daisy tries to lay on top of Willow, but I can see she is being gentile, is this a concern?? Also, is what I'm doing okay?? Should I be doing something different?? Also should I get Willow desexed if Daisy is?? If so, when??

Yeah. I keep reading that spaying females reduces their chances of getting ovarian cancer by a lot. Bonding is a complicated process that can take difficult turns. I have a page for you that has info:
https://therabbithaven.org/bonding-finding-a-friend-for-your-rabbit

As you may have noticed on the link provided by Sharon, both rabbits should be fixed before beginning any bonding attempt. That means that it's premature to be trying to put the baby with your girl. I'd actually strongly suggest returning her if possible and starting with an already fixed rabbit.

Beginning with a baby can cause all manner of difficulties, including lulling you until a false sense of a bond that can turn on a dime when baby's hormones kick in. There is also the risk that they will refuse to bond, even after you've spent hundreds on a spay.

Take a read here for more:
Https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bonding-bunnies.html

Latest posts

Back