Introducing a older rabbit to hay.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kate7654

Reaction score
I just got a new rabbit from a breeder and she doesn’t feed hay to her rabbits. I’m wondering how would I start to introduce hay to her?

What does she feed, pellets I suppose, or forage? Keep that diet up for now.

Anyway, hay is rather unproblematic, just offer a handful for a start. The rabbit most likely will turn it's nose, that's normal with new stuff, just keep offering and replacing it. Making munching motions with your hand in the hay for a minute can help making her to try it.

After a few days, or when she started to nibble it I would give fresh hay at feeding time with the usual routine and refill the pellets (or whatever) an hour later.

It could also be helpful to leverage a rabbit's natural inclination to forage, so not only offering hay in general, but offer a lot across several spaces-- this can trigger curiosity, making a rabbit travel from one spot to another, and then decide to nibble on the best pieces in each spot.

Ok thanks surprisingly they are both eating hay just fine. Now I’m wondering if I should cut back on the pellets they are fed a third of a cup now.

We feed our 4.5 pd Holland lop 1/4 pellets in the morning. We use Sherwood professional as he is a good hay eater and treat him with veggies in the evening. He is a perfect weight at 1yr.

Latest posts

Back