Introducing a new rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs641

Reaction score
I’ve had my rabbit Penny since Nov, and just today brought home my new bunny named Benjamin. I waited a while to put them together, everything was going good until he started to mount her. He was neutered 5 weeks ago (Penny has also been spayed), could this still be hormonal, or is this a dominance thing? Wondering if I need to wait longer for the male hormones to dissipate before trying another introduction? They seem to get along well sniffing and rubbing noses through the gate, which I think is a good sign?

Hi. It could be a dominance thing but also it is advised that you wait 6-8 weeks after neutering. I personally have one neutered male rabbit I've tried bonding him to a female 8 weeks after neutering and he still was too sexy so it caused a tornado fight. I waited one more month after that and they bonded quickly and beautifully no humping and they are happy together since then. So in fact I waited 3 months after neutering. They were both about 6 months old when was first attempt so maybe it was because they were still very young, couldn't tell for sure.

Hi. It could be a dominance thing but also it is advised that you wait 6-8 weeks after neutering. I personally have one neutered male rabbit I've tried bonding him to a female 8 weeks after neutering and he still was too sexy so it caused a tornado fight. I waited one more month after that and they bonded quickly and beautifully no humping and they are happy together since then. So in fact I waited 3 months after neutering. They were both about 6 months old when was first attempt so maybe it was because they were still very young, couldn't tell for sure.
Well gosh! I hope I didn’t get him too soon, no going back now! I’ll keep them separated for a long time obviously, give it a couple more weeks for hormones to die down. Penny seems very interested in her new friend, but he just wants to hump her, poor thing. Thank you for responding, who knew it took so long for the hormones to disappear!

We had 2 females that were more than 5 years past neutur that would hump--dominance, just like "pecking order.

Did this behavior ever stop? It really annoys the female and then they end up getting into a fight and I have to separate them. I’ve only done a few interactions, but he seems to just go straight for the humping, I’m wondering if it’s too soon after his neuter.

Latest posts

Back