Introducing 8wk old male to 1yr old female

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taylor Kimball

Reaction score
Hello all,

I wanted to find a male companion for my female lionlop as I feared she was lonely. I looked for months and talked to multiple breeders and ended up adopting an 8week old holland lop male. Winslow (female) is spayed and very sweet. I read that I should wait until he is neutered to start introducing. Any tips?

Where they are right now is fine, as long as they can't get to each other's cages. Her getting to smell him on your clothes and vise versa is great! It will help them get used to having another rabbit around.

In my opinion, make it so they can see each other to get used to new smells! This has worked great in the past for my bonding experiences, but definitely make sure he is nuetered before putting them together. Of course, seeing as she is spayed, it is *technically* all right to put them together before he is nuetered as well, but if possible please avoid until they are both fixed. This will save unnecessary fighting, stress, and other issues that may arise. Very soon before you put them together to live, try switching the litter pans if litter box trained and see how they react to another bunnies smell. This is one of the last steps to complete before letting them live together! Another thing to keep in mind is that some bunnies simply will never fully bond and become best friends. It's like humans -there's risks and consequences to both. But that sounds like you've done your research! Good luck, I wish you the best.

In my opinion, make it so they can see each other to get used to new smells! This has worked great in the past for my bonding experiences, but definitely make sure he is nuetered before putting them together. Of course, seeing as she is spayed, it is *technically* all right to put them together before he is nuetered as well, but if possible please avoid until they are both fixed. This will save unnecessary fighting, stress, and other issues that may arise. Very soon before you put them together to live, try switching the litter pans if litter box trained and see how they react to another bunnies smell. This is one of the last steps to complete before letting them live together! Another thing to keep in mind is that some bunnies simply will never fully bond and become best friends. It's like humans -there's risks and consequences to both. But that sounds like you've done your research! Good luck, I wish you the best.

I tried putting his cage in my room so she could see him and she was all over it (didn’t seem aggressive and the baby didnt seem scared) but then he jumped into his litter box and it startled her. She ran under the bed and was doing the thumping thing. I moved him to the hall outside my room! I think she is getting used to his smell now, maybe soon I could try to move him back in? I wish I could introduce them sooner, I have friends that it has worked for but I know it is not advised.

I tried putting his cage in my room so she could see him and she was all over it (didn’t seem aggressive and the baby didnt seem scared) but then he jumped into his litter box and it startled her. She ran under the bed and was doing the thumping thing. I moved him to the hall outside my room! I think she is getting used to his smell now, maybe soon I could try to move him back in? I wish I could introduce them sooner, I have friends that it has worked for but I know it is not advised.
I don't think you should put him in her room until he has been neutered and after giving him 4 weeks for his hormones to settle. If they get into a huge fight right now it will be very hard for them to bond later on. Once you start the bonding process read this link and check out this video: Bonding Bunnies.

I don't think you should put him in her room until he has been neutered and after giving him 4 weeks for his hormones to settle. If they get into a huge fight right now it will be very hard for them to bond later on. Once you start the bonding process read this link and check out this video: Bonding Bunnies.

thank you!! I just feel so bad dividing my time between them, I dont want her to be jealous!

She will have to get used to not being #1 anymore. Giving both of them time out of the cage will help her realize that.

Yes what I've done in the past is put their cages (exercise pens) in a distance where they cannot touch but can see and smell each other. I left it that way for 2 weeks, and seeing as they were already spayed, I put them together after that with no trouble.

Please keep in mind, every bunny is different!! She probably got scared of the noise and new things such as another cage :) Don't jump to conclusions thinking it's the new bunny!

Like we've been saying, these things take time so rushing it won't help in the long run. That is really good what you say that she did not seem aggressive in the baby did not seem scared. I'm predicting their relationship will work out ;)

thank you!! I just feel so bad dividing my time between them, I dont want her to be jealous!
Believe me, she'll get used to it. It's like kids, with new baby siblings. When I went from one bunny to three, it took some getting used to for the only rabbit and especially me. It also is an increased workload, so I had less play time with them :( But hey, it all worked out in the end!

Yes what I've done in the past is put their cages (exercise pens) in a distance where they cannot touch but can see and smell each other. I left it that way for 2 weeks, and seeing as they were already spayed, I put them together after that with no trouble.

Please keep in mind, every bunny is different!! She probably got scared of the noise and new things such as another cage :) Don't jump to conclusions thinking it's the new bunny!

Like we've been saying, these things take time so rushing it won't help in the long run. That is really good what you say that she did not seem aggressive in the baby did not seem scared. I'm predicting their relationship will work out ;)

thank you!! Yeah I think it was just the noise of him jumping into the litter box, not actually him that scared her! I just don’t like seeing my baby scared 😊

I just talked to my vet and they said they won’t neuter him until he’s around 5 months. Having them separated for 3 months seems like a long time, do you still think they should stay apart?

Male rabbits can be neutered as soon as their testicles drop. That can be as early as 12 weeks. I would check and see if his have dropped and if they have, ask your vet to get him in. They only reason they would say no is if he had an underlining condition that could cause issues with the anesthesia.

thank you!! Yeah I think it was just the noise of him jumping into the litter box, not actually him that scared her! I just don’t like seeing my baby scared 😊

I just talked to my vet and they said they won’t neuter him until he’s around 5 months. Having them separated for 3 months seems like a long time, do you still think they should stay apart?
Wow that is late! I agree with @Mariam+Theo that you should check yourself and get an appointment with a vet asap. It's pretty common to get fixed at around 3 to 4 months depending on the rabbit. But 5 months? That's real late. sure, I understand if the vet is inexperienced, but in that case, go to another vet. Seriously though, in my experience it's all right to switch between vets depending on their skill level. For example, I take my rabbits to one place for general checkups and another for emergencies due to convenience / price / experience level. I hope this helps!

The reason the vet would have said 5 months is because that is how old females have to be. I agree with @Happy Hollands that you should switch vets if your vet seems inexperienced.

My vet has been amazing with Winslow and I am very picky, especially with my smaller animals (I had a bad vet experience with my hamster)!!! They seem really knowledgeable there. He was so great with her and even shaved off a little mat she had on her butt and she didn’t even seem to care, she liked him! Maybe it was just the person that i talked to that didn’t know, I think it was just the girl at the desk. I’ll try asking them again now that I know more info! Thanks guys 😊

I have found out the hard way that the people at the front desk don't know anything about animals besides how to feed them. It would make sense if she had no idea what she was saying.

Latest posts

Back