Interview time!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4kr

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I've come up with a few 'interview' questions to get to know you guys better, it's just for fun really. I'mcurious to know the answers!

Here we go....

1. How long have you owned rabbits?

2. What's the story behind the name of your rabbitry?

3. Youth or Open?

4. What's the biggest win you've had so far (not that winning is everything!)?

5. What has been the most embarassing or 'Ah Ha' moment with raising rabbits?

6. What breed(s) do you have and what made you decide to raise that breed?

7. What is your current set-up and how many holes or cages do you have?

8. What is your short-term goal with your rabbitry (now until October)?

9. Long term goal?

10. Anything else you'd like to share?

:grouphug

:bunnybutt:

4kr wrote:
I showed heavily as a youth in 1998 to 2001. My rabbitry was 'Lil Angel Hotots' and I was dedicated to raising Dwarf Hotots. College came after graduation, then marriage and kidsand now the interest in having my Hotots again has sparked!
Well, honestly I'm not that creative when it comes to thinking of names off the top of my head. I think the first one I thought of was Silver Starr Rabbitry but quickly learned that another person had the name. So since thereare 4 of us in our family(last name King), and it's likely that our kids will show one day- it was only logical to go with 4 Kings Rabbitry.

3. Youth or Open?
Open right now, my kids are7 and5 so we may start 4-H this fall for my daughter. They both are interested so we'll see! It's exciting!

Well, I haven't shown since 2001 as a youth, but during those 3 years we won BOB at Houston/Ft Worth stock shows and one of my 'home grown' jr bucks took 1st in a large class at the DH Nationals! I was beaming from ear to ear. I hope to have stock up to that quality again in a few years.
Oh goodness. I would have to say it was at the Houston Livestock show back in 2001...a nice couple were asking about the Dwarf Hotot breed and I was more than happy to take a few minutes to talk to them about my bunnies and show them how they should be posed for show, ect. Well I deceided to take out a little Jr buck that was sooo sweet and put him on my grooming table. This was a coop show and mind you this little guy had never been away from home before. Well, I told them with a smile how wonderfully tempered this breed was and I had never had a mean Hotot(you see where this is leading!). As soon as I finished my sentence that buck latched onto my forearm and would NOT let go!! I *still* have a pretty bad scar today from that incident. What was this little 'sweet' buck's name you ask? It was Rambo, little did I know, he would live up to his name! LOL

We breed and raise Dwarf Hotots. I have always loved the hotots. I don't know what draws my interest to them...maybe those big bold eyes with the rings around them.;-) We have limited space so I always knew that the smaller breeds would be our only option.

Right now we have4 holes. We'll get getting our climate controlled barn at the end of the month and will be able to hold 18 holes. I am SO excited and will definitely post pictures of the progress. :)

My short-term goal is to find quality foundation stock. Have a litter or two, and give a class demo on rabbits and how to properly care for them at my daughter's school. We've already been invited back to do so and I can't wait!
9. Long term goal?
To use my hobby of rabbit raising to minister to others about Jesus Christ. I feel so blessed that God has given me the opportunity to care for these wonderful creatures and the shows are a perfect place to meet new people. I hope to bless others as I have been blessed.

I'm going to the DH Nationals in 2 days and cannot wait!! I'm so excited!! My sister is going with me so we'll have an awesome time. Road Trip!

4kr wrote:
4 Years
2. What's the story behind the name of your rabbitry
style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #daece5"SNM Rabbitry... SNM are my initias
3. Youth or Open?
I'm technically youth since I'm not 19 yet, but I show in Open. My little sister are youth
BOV with my reds
Haven't had one
Dutch & Mini Rex

My first rabbit was a chocolate dutch, and I fell in love with the breed.

I got my sister a red mini rex for christmas... and it went from there
We have 3 tier cages and 14 holes. Currently half full
Get some good quality REDs that can compete for BOB and BIS..etc
9. Long term goal?
Have some of the best chocolate dutch in the nation
I was a Girl Scout for 14 years :D

Neat! I wondered what SNM stood for. You go girl for the big dreams with your long and short term goals...you can do it!

5years

Natty is a word I really like and it means elegant, and I raise dwarfs so I put it together to make Natty Dwarfs Rabbitry. The reason I wanted to find a synonym for elegant was because the Silver Marten color looks like a tuxedo, so they're "Bunnies in Tuxedos" :)

3. Youth or Open?

In-Between. I am only 17 but have been showing open for almost a year now. My very last youth show will be this year's TRBA State Show and then I will show open only after that, especially since I won't be in highschool any more after this year.

BOG in Youth at last year's TRBA State Show with a Blue Jr. Buck

There have been so many of those moments over the years it would be hard to say. One that has made me be much more careful now is when my herd got vent disease. That one definitely ended with a lesson.

Netherland Dwarfs! My first rabbit was a netherland dwarf so I have stuck with that. The small space and feed they need is a bonus. I have had some oddball breeds at different times (luckily never two of the same breed at the same time, or i'd probably have more breeds by now with the babies, haha), but now I'm trying to keep my rabbitry free of rabbits that are just taking up space and focus on making better rabbits.

I have 14 holes, but I am trying to get rid of some and replace some so that in the end I will have 12 holes. They are stacker cages, only stacked two holes high though.

Breed, breed, and breed and hopefully get some good juniors for the fall.

9. Long term goal?

Win BOB with a homegrown Silver Marten, and then just keep the line going. I know it'll be hard to keep the rabbits through college, but I am determined not to have to give them up.

I love my buns! :biggrin:

1 month ,I know we are newbs but I've learned, ALOT
Souther Skyes Rabbitry- my daughters name
is Skye they are her rabbits. Southern becOuse
we live in Louisiana.
3. Youth or Open?
Since my daughter is the one that shows her buns
she does youth
4. What's the biggest win you've had so far (not that winning is everything!)? I believe we were told we had best senior even though that's not a big win or anything
5. What has been the most embarassing or 'Ah Ha' moment with raising rabbits?ummm I don't know if I got to that point yet lol

6. What breed(s) do you have and what made you decide to raise that
breed? Netherland dwarfs because the size and shape has alot to do with it

7. What is your current set-up and how many holes or cages do you have? Our rabbits are inside right now, we have 5 holes

I'm hopeing to get someqaulity show kits out of my does, I'm also hopeing to get some really good winsand to increase our holes to ten.

9. Long term goal?
I would like my daughter to learn alot more about the breed as well as rescue.

We are hopeing to improve the breed,we would also like to get my son into showing in youth next year

[align=center][/align]

Since October 2009. :D So 1 1/2 years.

I wanted something that sounded cool... XD I was pretty set on something that had to do with night. At my job, in November 2009, I kept sketching a night scene on a receipt, and noticed that night scenes having shading from dark to light, so it became Shaded Night Rabbitry. :D

3. Youth or Open?
Both! I show my sable points in open, and my other colors in 1 youth show, 1 open (which is how shows around here are generally run).

Open, with a bought: Lots-a-Hop's Kiddo took BOSB of 74.
Open, with a homebred: Shaded Nights' Firefly took BOV of 11, BOSG of 10. (Took 4 BOSG that day)
Youth, with a bought: Willow Glen's Scout has taken 3 BOB's of 20+.
Youth, with a homebred: Haven't shown many (any?), so Firefly with a BOV of 3, BOSG of 3.

Embarrassing? Probably getting teased by my rabbit friends for sucking at hearing.
Ah Ha: figuring out that if you sell everything at 8 weeks, you're not going to get anywhere! But if you keep potential cuties from 8 weeks (through uglies.. hardest part!) until 4 or 5 months, they'll really blossom!

Netherlands! I actually grabbed them by mistake. I was leaving down on my way to OR to get some Spots, and when that wasn't working out, we found Lots-a-Hop's, and grabbed a just seniored buck from them. Knowing what I know now, I'm amazed she let this rabbit go to a newbie... And even more amazed that she had a couple of things on her sale page! She's hardly ever had anything on that page! It's always sold before they have a chance to add it to the page. :p
I also have a Satin Angora. I plan on raising them later on, when I have more space. I just adore the breed. I love the sheen to their coats, and I love that they can be dual purpose.

I currently use stackers in a 9 by 5 shed. I currently have 20 separate cages, and will be splitting some into weaning cages. Should bring me up to about 30 holes.

• Have high enough quality to take BOB at county fair this year, and place well at State Fair.
  • Grand my first homegrown to gain all of it's legs under me, not who it was sold to.
  • Get the sable points up and running again! No more messing around. :p
9. Long term goal?
  • Start producing high enough quality homebreds to catch an elusive BOG, and even better, a BOB. Preferably open, but I wouldn't complain about youth wins.
  • Start working on ear thickness and length.
  • Find a new herd buck! D:<
Ummm. hi. :D

Wow, thanks for sharing you guys...it is so interesting to read how you got started and what's in progress...neat!

I have owed rabbits for 1 year in Feb 2011.

My Rabbitry name is Evie's Tulips Rabbitry... My daughter name is Evie. She is my special child since she was born early. And I like tulip flowers.

3. Youth or Open?
Open

I have gotten B.O.S.V and B.O.V

I had my lionhead buck on top cage (Stacking cages) and every time I went in feeding them, He would spray and it would hit me everytime... Yuck!! LOL

I have Jersey Woolies, Lionheads since 2010 And I just got back into Mini Rex last month. I got my first jersey wooly because my father had one. After hes died. I wanted to get one just like him. He was a REW. So then I got a few other breeds (Mini Rex, Rex and Dutch). I didnt like them. So I just stuck with Jersey and Lionheads. I got the jersey and lionheads in 2010. So I got back into Mini Rex's since I feel in love with some Chinchilla Mini Rex. And the wooly fur doesnt brother me (skin and itching like the mini rex fur.) But I love all my breeds.

I have 2 12 hole stacking cages. And I have 2 hutches with 2 holes in each.

Get all babies born and healthy.

9. Long term goal?
My goal for this year is to get a broken lionhead doe. And going to Nationals this year. This is our first year going.

I have got my aunt unto showing rabbits with me. So we are partner in crime! :)

Five years...thought it seems like so much longer.

Blue Camas is a flower around this part of Washington. Our old name was Blue Sky Acres, and it was just long and didn't make any sense. lol. I like Blue Camas much better. :)

3. Youth or Open?
Both! I do 1 youth, 1 open usually.

I've won 1 Breeder's Class Champion, and 2 Breeder's Class Reserve Champs at my county fair with my Mini Rex, the past 3 years with my Mini Rex. Hopefully I'll have more of that line to enter in Breeder's Class thisyear.
BSA's Kailua getting BOB at last year's SYF when I thought she was pet quality! Lol. We kept her, needless to say.

Probably when I mess up answering an EASY question, or something common-sense during Fitting & Showing, especially when it's at State in front of some of the really respectable judges/other exhibitors.
An ah-ha moment? Nothing really comes to mind right now. lol. Maybe when I realized to hang onto my Juniors a little longer and let them really fill out before making a decision on whether they were pet quality or not! lol

I have Mini Rex, Rex, and Netherland Dwarfs. Got into Mini Rex because a friend gave me a doe, and we just fell in love with the breed. Added Netherlands to breed kind of on impulse. lol. I'd had one before, but she was just a show/pet rabbit, now we're breeding and showing. :D And Rex,..well that's an unmentionable reason here. I'm sure you can guess.

I have stackers. Love them! So much better than the wooden floored hutches/plastic cages I had when I first started out. I have...16 (had to count! lol) holes, about 5? empty. Going to be getting much more very soon. :D

Uhm, to get some really nice typed litters this year that will be Seniors for Nationals and the larger shows next year.

9. Long term goal?
Go to several out-of-state shows next year, including West Coast Classic and Nationals. :) Would love to make it to Rex Nationals next year, but we'll see how that goes.

Nope!

4kr wrote:
Hey Everyone,

I've come up with a few 'interview' questions to get to know you guys better, it's just for fun really. I'mcurious to know the answers!

Here we go....

I owned rabbits as a kid (I'm now 50) but in 2005 is when I got into rabbits as an adult.

Our original rabbitry was "El Rey Lionheads" because we live near Mexico. El Rey means "King".

Our rabbitry now is "Tiny's Texas Legends" for the flemish and "Puck's Pranksters" for the holland lops.

Tiny was my first flemish and Puck was my first holland.

3. Youth or Open?
Unfortunately - at the age of 50 - it has to be OPEN.

The win that meant the most to me was when I took "BOB" with a home-grown lionhead - over lionheads I'd brought in from other Nationally known breeders. The judge felt like the doe had potential.

She passed away a while ago - and I'd never put her on the table now that I understand the lionhead standard better and now that lionheads have progressed to the "new look" as I call it.
I never studied colors at all when I started - so I bred a chinchilla colored buck to a harlequin colored doe.When another breeder heard about that and commented "What the h*ll types of breeding do y'all do down there in Texas???" I decided it was time to learn about color genetics.
I've bred lionheads but I am currently breeding flemish giants and holland lops. I also have other breeds in my home but not intentionally for breeding purposes. I would like to get into Polish also - I have fallen in love with that breed.
My rabbitry is inside w/ air conditioning. We're hoping to get a barn soon - but even that will have air conditioning.
I'm currently hand-rearing two "flee-lops" (flemish giant/e-lop cross that I did not intentionally breed). I'd like to see them get healthy and eating solids as they are now 3 weeks old.

Nyx is due soon and I think that even though she nested at 17 days ... Harmony is pregnant took I want to see those litters develop.
9. Long term goal?
I really need to make some hard decisions about breeding vs. rescuing. I have a rescuer's heart...but there is no one within 150 miles breeding the breeds that I do. So do I continue to do it - or what? (I've taken in rabbits recently from the feed store that were adults that got dumped on him - and of course - they're pregnant..).

Breeding is hard - it is not for the faint of heart. You're gonna lose babies and you won't be able to help it sometimes.

You need to have funds set aside for emergency vet visits and medication and you need to learn to do a lot of things yourself - like being able to do sub-q if a rabbit goes into stasis or giving shots for infection, etc.

I also recommend not breeding more than you can keep if you can't rehome them.

So much more I'd share - but it would probably turn into a small book!

Five years.

My rabbitry name is Totally Awesum bunnies, Totally Awesome was my saying for a while -so I made it my rabbitry name.

3. Youth or Open?
Youth

BOB with a JR N.Dwarf
Best U/14 Miniature Lop

5. What has been the most embarassing or 'Ah Ha' moment with raising rabbits?Don't have one

6.What breed(s) do you have and what made you decide to raise that breed?Miniature Lops in Shaded & Tan Pattern, Netherland Dwarfs in Shaded & Agouti, & Enderbies In Slate, Chempagne & Creme. Ive dabbled with breeds over the last few years (Calis, Flemish, Rex, NZW...)but these are the breeds I am sticking with. Its very hard to source quality stock in my area so my foundation stock are from the North Island& ChCh. Theres allot of competition with Mini Lops at showing and I like challage same reason why I chose to breed Enderbies they are hard to breed and they are rare, Netherland Dwarfs have always been my fav breed.

I have5 four hole stackers for mini lops and dwarfs.

1. Breed in quality juniors for the SI Nationalshow in October
  2. Produce my first Enderby litters

-I've always had rabbits since I was 3 or 4. I was a very animal type kid and did really well. So mom always let me have rabbits. And I'm soon to be 25.

-Gorby is a term I got from my boyfriend. Its similar to 'redneck' or jerry rigged, cheap exc... I think it fits me, because I'm far from perfect. So I call it Gorby Job Rabbits.

3. Youth or Open?
-Open. I'm soon to be 25.

-I am newer to ARBA. I shown for years in 4-H and won different things. I think though I'm rather proud of my doe getting 3rd in her class of 12 this weekend at Harlequin Nationals.

-I'm honestly not sure.

-Harlequins.. because they're rare, I struggle with seeing body type and I can kind of ignore that now lol. But I wanted something that if I couldn't sell it, it could still earn its keep by going in the freezer. I also have English lops, which I've liked them for years, and they're more of a side project and a way to help pay for the harlies...and then the fuzzy lops, because I love the wool breeds and was asked to start with something easier like the fuzzies. I love them now.

-Not enough. 16 Adult Harlequins, 4 Fuzzy lops, 5 English Lops.

-To produce some wonderful harlies to win BOB at Convention this year.

9. Long term goal?
-To have a chance with all 3 breeds competing in the top.

-I can't think of anything. but if anyone has questions, I'm always happy to answer =)

Since I was a senior in high school. . .So 4 years

Well We've been throwing around the name Owen's Bunnies Owen because that's our last name. And we already have a t-shirt design. Text saying O Buns! With bunny butts on the front lol

3. Youth or Open?
Open

Several BOB's with some homegrown rabbits.
One Reserve in Show with a bought Tan
One Reserve in Show with a bought Brit

Trying to sell my tans as pets lol Its become pretty interesting

Tan- I love the attitude and personality. The running was just icing on the cake. And I couldn't ignore the color or the challenge
Britannia Petite- Even though i only have two I am definitely liking this breed. I loved Rocky for his calm but sneaky psycho attitude lol

12 cages and one flemish carrying cage for the rabbit who likes to be cage aggressive. We still have one cage packed up and my mom just ordered two 24x24s for the brits to expand. Ill probably ask for four 18x18s for the babies and bucks. So that would take it to 19 cages and still one flemish carrier.

Get some baby Brits
Get a tan doe out of Chevys mom so I can have someone to replace her
Buy a good brit doe possibly
Buy some more heard does.

9. Long term goal?
Get up and running in chocolate and blues
Take some tans to Nationals
Do good at convention

Hai :D

1. How long have you owned rabbits? 17 years now

It all started with one 3 lb Netherland Dwarf.... Since 1995, I have gone through 35 breeds and have finally found my heart breed in Mini Lops.

3. Youth or Open? Open... Have always been Open.... I was in 4H before that.

4. What's the biggest win you've had so far (not that winning is everything!)? BOB with a Holland.... BOSB with my first GC Mini Lop.

5. What has been the most embarassing or 'Ah Ha' moment with raising rabbits? When my californian doe was delivering on death row, and was bred by a buck that hadn't dropped....

6. What breed(s) do you have and what made you decide to raise that breed? Mini Lops are what I raise now. I have decided on them because they are a good size, have good sized litters, great personalities, and are wonderful mothers. Not to mention that Mini Lop people are the BEST!

7. What is your current set-up and how many holes or cages do you have? My current set up is in the spare garage. I have 24 holes. Mostly 24*24, with one 3 hole stack of 24*30, 1 18*30 and 2 30*30's with pans.

8. What is your short-term goal with your rabbitry (now until October)? To continue to improve while moving my name along in my pedigrees.

9. Long term goal? To consistently produce GC's.

10. Anything else you'd like to share? In all the breeds that I have ever had, Mini Lops, Himalayan's, Californians, and Rex are the best breeds ever!

Oops... I didn't see that the one question was about my rabbitry name....

My rabbitry name is Tucker Creek Rabbitry. I fought over it with a friend of mine who actually lived on Tucker Creek Road. I grew up about a mile away from the road, and thought it sounded better than Youngs River Rabbitry. Nuts to say, I won, and 17 years later, I still have that name, where as my friend sold out..... Also, I no longer live anywhere near Tucker Creek, but still like the sound of it, and my surname is TCR. I like that a lot. :)

I have owned rabbits for 6ish years

My first ever mini rex rabbit, second ever rabbit was a tri mini rex named Ace. He truly was a special rabbit, he passed away just a couple weeks ago too. Hence Ace Rabbitry.

3. Youth or Open?
Both? Open for Angoras and youth for Mini Rex

Runner up Best of show. LOL the judge said that if the other rabbit hadn't one then my lil' Foody bunny wouldve

When I entered 4 junior mini rexes in a show and realized I had put them down as does when they were all bucks. I fail at life ;D

Mini Rex, because of Ace. Then I have French Angora too because my mom is in the wool buisness and she needed a fur bunny.

An airconditioned shed, automatic food, um 7-9 holds depending on how many I need at the moment (I take them out of the shed sometimes)

Keep my rabbits happy and healthy, no breeding until October (too hot)

9. Long term goal?

To breed a smaller version of the french angora.

Ummmmm I dunno :p

20+ years

My current rabbitry name is Shannon's Hop Shop, it's a spin off of my original name, Shannon's Lop Shop. Under the previous name I mainly had Holland lops but now I only raise Mini Satins. Hence the hop shop instead of the lop shop :)

3. Youth or Open?

Showed in youth for ten years, went to college and sold my herd, became the local 4H rabbit leader for the last five years and just started my herd again with Mini Satins in Red, White, Black, and Chinchilla.

I won 1st place Solid Senior Doe at the San Diego 2001 ARBA nationals in youth my last year of showing as a youth. Well over 100 rabbits in the class. I had won 14 BIS with my Holland Lops in three states.

Most embarassing was easily when I was showing a rabbit to another breeder and my mom decided she was going to go play with the kids and slide down the carnival slide, so she stole my carpet from under the rabbit I was showing to go pay with the kids.

I was alwas in love with Satins, we had a breeder in Arizona that was like family and she showed large satins, I however am not into anything over 6 pounds because I don't like breaking my back at the show table :) So in 2005 when mini satins were approved in white I began to think about it, then last year my favorite color reds were approved I was sold.

Stackable cages, 32 holes with a flush clean system from BASS equipment.

Breed some quality kits for the fall show season.

9. Long term goal?

Win BOB with a Red satin and BIS with a chinchilla satin.

Not at the moment. :)

Latest posts

Back