International Travel with Bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eberiusatt

Reaction score
I'm at a crossroads.

My husband and I are moving abroad to Germany from the USA. We would like to take our bunnies with us In the cabin, but every airline I've called (and I have called and emailed a LOT) that goes from the US to Germany has told me that rabbits are not allowed on international flights.

I'm looking into shipping them, but considering how fragile rabbits are, I'm leaning against is HARD unless someone here can tell me its not as bad as I'm thinking.

Is shipping them just a ridiculous idea? I should re-home them, right? I will bend over backwards to take them with me, but not at the expense of their well-being...

So, can anyone enlighten me on what shipping them would be like for them?

Is taking them with us a lost cause? My heart is breaking at the thought of leaving them behind. But, again, I'll do what's best for them...

I know a lot of people who have shipped rabbits internationally for breeding stock. It is very expensive! But they seem to have good success with it although all the rabbits they have shipped have been in excellent health to begin with (unlike that continental giant in a relatively recent case where it died on the flight and now most the airlines won't touch rabbits). You need to get health certificates in the US to even fly, plus often each country will require other specific things. On top of that, is the shipping cost. Often if you have multiple rabbits I've seen people put a few _wire show carriers_ (they allow for more air flow; which is necessary in this situation where air flow and temperature is such a concern) stuffed with hay in an airline dog crate. This way you pay per dog crate instead of per rabbit. Each country is different though; I don't think any shipped rabbits to germany (mostly asia)

Have you looked at any pet-specific shipping websites? A few hours on a plane shouldn't be terribly bad. It's not bumpy like a car ride, so the only stressful part for them would be the car ride.

Thanks for your replies!

I've spoken with the German consulate and there's no restrictions on my rabbits coming into the country. They said they don't even need health certificates! Of course, I will be getting them done anyway.

Cost wise, I'm willing to go pretty high to keep them with us...

I haven't looked into pet specific shipping websites yet, but it's going to be my research starting now.

Myself know it’s pretty common among breeders to ship their bunnies. But remember to vaccinate the bunnies.

We in Europe have the bunnies diseases. Maybe that’s why it dosen’t exist any rules about bunnies because USA don’t have those ^^

Latest posts

Back