Interesting Stasis Remedy

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnydude

Reaction score
Hi there,

I couldn't find a better place to put this, so I thought I would just make a new topic.

Last time we took Amber to the vet for stasis, the vet recommended something interesting. Well, today we got to try it out, and it worked. She suggested syringe-forcing water. Amber was not eating this morning, had small poops, the whole nine yards. Before jumping the gun and calling the vet, we tried the water idea. She had big poops and was eating fine by 3pm. I guess it makes sense, because everytime we take the bunnies in for stasis, the vet gives sub-q fluids. I suppose all the extra water intake must do the same thing.

Has anyone else tried this or had experience with it? Obviously, in more severe cases a vet visit is required, but this seems like good supportive care, or enough to help a bunny until a vet appointment is available. What are some of your thoughts?

Bunnydude:)

Out of all my 14 buns, I have only had to deal with stasis a few times,i watch the whole tribe like a hawk and when i noticed chocolate bunny just sitting there in a corner and not eating i was ready to jump on the situation,i grabbed my syringe and a cup of water,and i just kept on giving her plenty of water and some baby food as well.

The great thing was she didn't fight me,i did it allnight every half hour, i'm sure when she seen me she thought ohh noo here we go again,i would eventually fall asleep and when i woke in the morning i was always scared to check herbut she was fine the next day,back to eating and pooping.but you have to know your bunny,chocolate bunny has been to the vet a few timeswith severe stasis where she needed the injections,her stomach felt like it had a brick in it,and that is when she is rushed off to the vet.

Cassidy has also had the same thing, most times ithappened at night for some reason,i seen him just sitting there and not eating and i'm thinking oh no not again,but i syringed fed him water plenty of water and baby food,i was expecting to take him to the vets first thing in the morning,but to my joy he was waiting in the hall way with the others,no hiding for him.but he has also been to the vets with severe stasis twice,i would never everlet my bunny sufferfor long.

but the few times that i didn't have to take them,i just wonder was it my quick thinking that got them through it.

I'm very close to my bunnies,they live in my heart,i'm always with them,counting them to make sure no one is hiding and when i cannot find one i go on a hunt just to make sure everyone is ok,i do this everyday,a few times a day,im totally obsessed with my buns,sometimes i think they hide to get away from me.

so when i do see one of my bunsjust sitting there and not eatingi grab the syringe and water,even if i have to take them to the vet for stasis i feed them water at home first

chocolate bunny and cassidy have had no problems since *knock on wood*

i cannot stand that look they have in their eyes when they are hurting.

cheryl.....

This was discussed a bit between me and Pipp (SAS) during Mocha's stasis. Hydration is very important, and can be done at home before you get a chance to take them into the vet. When my vet gave me feeding instructions, he had me giving lots of water but only a little food- enough to give her some nutrients and get her intestines moving but not nearly as much as she would normally eat.

When one of my buns is getting small poops, I feed them pumpkin. It's a favorite treat for them, so they'll eat it unless they feel terrible like Mocha did. Pumpkin has a lot of water and in my experience helps treat the problem of the small poops.

Another option is to offer flavored, unsweetened water to tempt the bun to drink more. Some like vanilla or unsweetened Pedialyte added to their water.

Yes!! Hydration, hydration, hydration!

I've been under the impression for quite some time now that the benefits of pumpkin and pineapple juice,the standard recommended treatment on this board actually boils down to this.

The pumpkin is beneficial because of the fiber, but it's also the moisture. The pineapple juice, while it may help dissolve mucus, for the most part is usually only beneficial because it hydrates. (I personally wouldn't recommend it because of the sugar, which can sometimes be detrimental to an already compromised gut. If it was a situation where the energy would be a good thing, I'd be just as inclined to use Pedialyte, although the jury's still out on that one).

Butsyringingwarm water (room temperature, anyway,but a little warmer if there's a chance of hypothermia)when the problem hasn't progressed too far is most often enough to do the trick.

A hydrated mass will move through the tract, plus a hydratedbunny will be stronger when it comes to coping with the problem. Worry about dehydration before worrying about an empty gut.

SAS :)and PIPP :bunnydance:

When cassidy went through severe stasis a few months ago,he went cold,from top to bottom,and i mean he was cold cold,more or less freezing, i cried so much while waiting to take him to the vet . I wasn't going to wait with this one, but i did feed him loads of water,i just never thought of warm water(duh) but i did keep a warm towel around him to try and warm him,then i took him straight to the vet.

Chocolate bunny had severe stasis a few months ago as well but she never went cold, just her ears, that is how i know when something is wrong when their ears are cold.but when cassidy was freezing that was my first experience,and i was thinking ohh man i'm gonna lose him,i had never felt a bunny so cold like that before.

so if i had known, the warm water may have helped him a bit, but like i said i did keep him warm with a warm towel until we went to the vet.

i will think of the warm water next time:)

So, it has worked for other people. Obviously,it is not a substitute for a vet visit, but at least it is something until a vet can see them. Yesterday, it just turned out that Amber went from being fine to being sick, to being fine again in 5 hours.

That's a great suggestion. But of course you bunny savvy people know to be careful syringing to prevent accidental aspiration (water in the lung). If you've never syringe fed a bun, I would recommend getting a lesson from a vet or an experienced person before attempting.
As for the hypothermia, I use a heating pad on low. Put the bun on it and wrap bun and pad in a towel and sit and hold them. It's really important to raise the temp of the bun.

Yes, sfritzp is definitely right. Don't push the plunger too fast. I do it very slow (a few drops at a time). Thanks for pointing that out to everyone:)

Latest posts

Back