Interesting eye color question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maherwoman

Reaction score
Hey guys! My bunny Flower (who is about three months old) has one brown eye, and the other eye's top half is brown, and the bottom half is a very light blue. I would be of the thought normally that her eye is just in the process of changing color, except for the fact that it's been that way (completely unchanging) for a month.

Could there be anything to this?

What is this called?

Is this a breed trait?

In addition to the above information, she weighs approx. 4.5lbs and is apparently a lop, though neither ears have fully lopped yet. The tips flop down, but the rest of the part of each ear is more airplane than anything. :)

So, any ideas about the eye color?

Here's a picture of Flower (which is about a month old):

16lboy8.jpg

Thanks guys! :D

Sounds like your bunny may have some Dutch or Blue Eyed Whitein her background.

I've never heard of a particular term that is used for the blue spots, but I've seen them in Dwarf Hotots, Dutchor breeds that have a Blue Eyed White rabbit in their lineage.

Pam

So... like this but upside down?

Feyseye.jpg

That's Fey's right eye. She and Sprite both have mottled blue and brown eyes, although generally more blue than brown. Doesn't it look neat?

They're dwarf hotots, BTW.

Hehe...I would tell ya if the picture worked. :):?

naturestee wrote:
So... like this but upside down?

Feyseye.jpg

That's Fey's right eye. She and Sprite both have mottled blue and brown eyes, although generally more blue than brown. Doesn't it look neat?

They're dwarf hotots, BTW.

Hi Pam!

Thanks for the information! What exactly is a Blue Eyed White? Do you have any pictures of them?

I don't think she's got any dwarf hotot in her genes, as she's already bigger than my Maisie, and Maisie is three months older than her. I do suspect that Maisie has some dwarf in her blood, though, as she's approx 3.5lbs.

I know Flower's eye rings look dwarf hotot-ish, but given that she's about 4.5lbs at three months of age, does that indicate that it could be more of a broken English Spot, or something akin in her genes? I ask because she's also got a honey-colored stripe down her back (though that could, I suppose, be Holland Lop in her blood, too, coupled with the ears and foofiness).

What do you think?

pamnock wrote:
Sounds like your bunny may have some Dutch or Blue Eyed Whitein her background.

I've never heard of a particular term that is used for the blue spots, but I've seen them in Dwarf Hotots, Dutchor breeds that have a Blue Eyed White rabbit in their lineage.

Pam

maherwoman wrote:
Hi Pam!

Thanks for the information! What exactly is a Blue Eyed White? Do you have any pictures of them?

I know Flower's eye rings look dwarf hotot-ish, but given that she's about 4.5lbs at three months of age, does that indicate that it could be more of a broken English Spot, or something akin in her genes? I ask because she's also got a honey-colored stripe down her back (though that could, I suppose, be Holland Lop in her blood, too, coupled with the ears and foofiness).

What do you think?

A Blue Eyed White (BEW) is a type of albinism, but the rabbit has very bright blue eyes.

I think the most likely scenerio is that Flower is a Lop with Blue Eyed White in the background. The spotting pattern in the lops originally came from the English Spot. Her coloring indicates Holland Lop.

minilops: There are large Hotots (now called Blanc de Hotot in the US).

Pam

Nope, can't see it. It says "my image for that link is no longer there". Would it be in the same space as your videos? Could you possibly tell me how to find it from there? :)

naturestee wrote:
You can't see it? I can.:?

Darn Photobucket. I usually never use that site except for videos, but Tinypic wasn't working.

Okay, I get it. Thank you very much!

So, it sounds like (from this thread, and the other I posted asking about something else to do with her appearance) by all indications, Flower is a Holland Lop mix...and by your information, possibly a mix with a BEW. When I look at her, and her features, and from what I've seen, that seems the most likely.

Thank you for the data! :)

pamnock wrote:
maherwoman wrote:
Hi Pam!

What do you think?

A Blue Eyed White (BEW) is a type of albinism, but the rabbit has very bright blue eyes.

I think the most likely scenerio is that Flower is a Lop with Blue Eyed White in the background. The spotting pattern in the lops originally came from the English Spot. Her coloring indicates Holland Lop.

minilops: There are large Hotots (now called Blanc de Hotot in the US).

Pam

Yes, and now I see it on this thread three times! My original post, your response, and now this last one.

I have no idea what's going on.

Lol!! I don't know...computers are weird.

But yes, that is the color I mean, but her eye is split almost exactly horizontally, with dark brown in the top half, a very light blue (like the light blue in your pic) in the bottom half. Both of her eyes started changing the day after we brought her home originally, and that one just didn't finish. It's so strange! I've heard of animals having one eye blue, and one green, and the likes, but to have one HALF of an eye blue and the other half brown? The two colors are on such opposite ends of the spectrum!

maherwoman wrote:
Lol!! I don't know...computers are weird.

But yes, that is the color I mean, but her eye is split almost exactly horizontally, with dark brown in the top half, a very light blue (like the light blue in your pic) in the bottom half. Both of her eyes started changing the day after we brought her home originally, and that one just didn't finish. It's so strange! I've heard of animals having one eye blue, and one green, and the likes, but to have one HALF of an eye blue and the other half brown? The two colors are on such opposite ends of the spectrum!

It's notuncommon to have 2 different colors in one eye. Certain genes can produce a wide array of "marbled" coloration to the eye.

Pam

Latest posts

Back