Interesting Article

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ra7751

Reaction score
This isn't specifically related to rabbits but it still is relevent to our discussions. I have preached the entire time I have been on this forum about the misuse of antibiotics, particularly Ciprofloxacins like Baytril. Now a small clinical study on humans is confirming what I have been saying all along.....these oral antibiotics severely disrupt the beneficial flora in the GI. The only exception to this article as it relates to rabbits is the use of yogurt which is improper in rabbits....but we do have safe probiotics. The tests were performed using Cipro....Baytril is the animal version of this drug. We have known for years that the Cipro and Sulfa family of drugs was damaging to the GI tract (particularly rabbits and other hind gut fermenters) and we have known that Baytril is quickly becoming ineffective and obsolete due to resistance issues with the bacterial population. If your vet prescribes Baytril....I encourage you to respectfully discuss the possibility of other drugs that are both safe and effective.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2010/09/14/antibiotics-mess-stomach-study-finds/

Randy

ra7751 wrote:
This isn't specifically related to rabbits but it still is relevent to our discussions. I have preached the entire time I have been on this forum about the misuse of antibiotics, particularly Ciprofloxacins like Baytril. Now a small clinical study on humans is confirming what I have been saying all along.....these oral antibiotics severely disrupt the beneficial flora in the GI. The only exception to this article as it relates to rabbits is the use of yogurt which is improper in rabbits....but we do have safe probiotics. The tests were performed using Cipro....Baytril is the animal version of this drug. We have known for years that the Cipro and Sulfa family of drugs was damaging to the GI tract (particularly rabbits and other hind gut fermenters) and we have known that Baytril is quickly becoming ineffective and obsolete due to resistance issues with the bacterial population. If your vet prescribes Baytril....I encourage you to respectfully discuss the possibility of other drugs that are both safe and effective.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2010/09/14/antibiotics-mess-stomach-study-finds/

Randy
nice article randy,..yes antibiotics compromise the intestinal/gut/flora-(bacteria),,--in rabbits as you state--which are rear gut fermenters the flora will not work-properly on the grasses vital to the rabbits existence/-gi stasis is induced--eating,,processing,,poops/stop.//.--use of probotics is a must while giving antibiotics--and they can be purchased at a farm supply store,..just think horses---isn,t that incredible--that the digestive tract is compared to a horse..---sincerely james waller

Latest posts

Back