Interest in Food Comes and Goes?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

williethebunny

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I adopted my neutered one year old bunny willy about a month ago. Since yesterday, he has had little interest in his pellets. He is still munching on hay but not as much as normal. He is still eating veggies too. Not drinking as much water, but I’ve been sprinkling more on his veggies to make sure he doesn’t get dehydrated. Could he have a blockage? Maybe fur? He pooped some a few hours ago, maybe about 20 poops or so. Not pooping nearly as much as normal but it was some. I’m calling the vets in the morning. I just filled his litter box with even more hay and he’s currently eating some right now. I also gave him a dose of his meloxicam just in case he is in any pain. I couldn’t palpate his belly to feel for any bloat or a blockage since he really doesn’t like to be handled. I’m hoping his appetite will be back to normal by tomorrow. I read that if he was in stasis he wouldn’t flop on his belly because of pain. He’s been flopping all day today but seems lazy and a bit lethargic. Anyone have this happen before? Any advice is appreciated. I also have baby gas drops and was wondering if giving him some would help if he maybe is bloated? Nothing in his diet changed which makes me suspect it’s a blockage. Thank you everyone so much.

So sorry your thread was missed. I hope your bunny ended up recovering ok. Though rabbits with an upset stomach or pain issues, will often be lethargic and sit hunched up, they will sometimes also flop on their belly when they have a stomach ache. But it's a different kind of flopping where they will press their belly to the ground, and often reposition to try to find some position of comfort, which is what it sounds like your rabbit was doing.

What I do in these cases, basically if it hasn't been more than 12-24 hours with little to no food, try gas meds and if no improvement soon after, get to a rabbit vet. Or if there are definite signs of bloat, diarrhea, and/or other serious indications of illness, vet immediately. For future GI stasis issues, this article below is the go to for most rabbit owners.

https://rabbit.org/gastrointestinal-stasis-the-silent-killer-2/

Latest posts

Back