Intact male and spayed female bonding?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AshAndMaple

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has experience of successful bonding between a spayed female and an intact male?

My male, Ash, went in to be neutered yesterday, but had a reaction to the anaesthetic and stopped breathing for quite a long time. Luckily my vet and her colleagues were able to bring him back, but it was very touch and go. I don't want to risk his life again, which is why I currently don't think I will try and get him neutered again.

I realise bonding might be complicated as he might just want to mount his sister all the time, but I'd like to try. I don't want any judgement for not neutering him, as I said he nearly died and the vet couldn't pinpoint why.

I have that pairing as free roam house bunnies.

https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threa...bond-with-intact-buck-what-to-consider.92855/
After my previous buck died a year ago I have the second one in my house, bonding was no issue at all. Dotty is a very calm and patient girl.
The only downside is that at some times of the year there is some spraying to mop up, and I give Dotty lots of possibilkities to get away from him when she has enough, like hidey houses, big boards leaning against the wall, A ramp to the window sill where she likes to lounge behind the curtain and so on. If he tries to mount her she just hopps away, at 90% of the time it isn't too bad anyway.
I think it settled down considerable after he was about 1 1/2 years old.

Totally depends on the personality of the rabbits. Some male rabbits can be pretty laid back. You'll just have to try it and see.

Glad your guy made it through ok!
Thank you, he seems back to normal today, just eating a little less than usual.

Ash is very chilled out, but I know whenever they've had brief interactions (i.e. sitting on the sofa with Maple while Ash is free-roaming), he grooms her and then tries to mount her. They're both very interested in each other and interact through the mesh of Ash's pen. Maple gets quite jealous when Ash is getting attention, but my main concern is that she would attack him if she found his advances irritating or wanted her territory back. I've been talking to the vet bc this past week she's been spraying over the walls while I've been out, I wondered if it's bc I've started a job with different hours, but I don't know why she's started now when she was spayed mid-November.

Thank you, he seems back to normal this morning, just eating a little less than usual.

Ash is very chilled out, but I know whenever they've had brief interactions (i.e. sitting on the sofa with Maple while Ash is free-roaming), he grooms her and then tries to mount her. They're both very interested in each other and interact through the mesh of Ash's pen. Maple gets quite jealous when Ash is getting attention, but my main concern is that she would attack him if she found his advances irritating or wanted her territory back. I've been talking to the vet bc this past week she's been spraying over the walls while I've been out, I wondered if it's bc I've started a job with different hours, but I don't know why she's started now when she was spayed mid-November.
I wish he could have been neutered, but I can't justify it now. He's such a lovely little bun, yesterday was horrific 😢

I wish he could have been neutered, but I can't justify it now. He's such a lovely little bun, yesterday was horrific
Thank you, he seems back to normal today, just eating a little less than usual.

They lie next to each other with the pen in-between them, but today Ash has sometimes been grunting at her when she's nearby, which I've never noticed before.

Latest posts

Back