Instagram friend found wild bunny!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JetFalcon

Reaction score
So some guy I met at a Zedd concert, we exchanged instagrams and sometimes he comments on my bunnies on instagram.

But he just told me he found a wild bunny. Like something that he caught a bunny from his cat.

He showed me some pictures of the bunny in a box with some food, it seems tame enough to stay in a box. It's a baby sized bunny, maybe one that fits in your hand. He's not exactly sure, but assumed it was a wild bunny. It's seems slightly more developed than a very newborn baby, where you can barely see signature bunny ears. This one is tiny, but has signature bunny ears so you can't think its a baby squirrel. I would say almost hamster size.

He asked me if I could look after it or keep it. I have 2 bunnies now, but I would make an excuse to have a 3rd bunny if it meant I rescued it instead of adopting another one. Can a wild bunny get along with domestic bunnies?

Or should I raise it for a few months and release it when it becomes more adult sized? Just wondering who has dealt with a wild bunny and rescued one, or if it really needs to be rescued. Or should the guy just release it back into a bush / the wild?

Last edited:
It is actually illegal to possess or care for wildlife without the proper license. Also, a wild baby rabbit that has it's eyes open and is hopping around and eating solid food like grass, is old enough to be out on it's own. If this is the case, I would suggest to your friend to return it to the area where he thinks it's nest might be.

If it is really young and not old enough yet to eat solid food well and be out on it's own, and it's not known where the nest is to return it to, then a wildlife rehabber should be contacted.
https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Conservation/Laboratories/Wildlife-Investigations/Rehab/Facilities

If it is a feral domesticated rabbit, then it shouldn't be released. If you decide to keep it and your two are a bonded pair, just know that introducing a third rabbit into your home can sometimes upset the bond of a bonded pair, resulting in possible scuffles and even the need for separation.

If your two aren't bonded and you want to take this bunny in, or if they are bonded and you opt to take the bunny in, I would suggest initiating quarantine for a month to protect your other rabbits. Or if you decide you don't want to keep this rabbit, I would suggest finding a rescue in your area to take the bunny in.

It is actually illegal to possess or care for wildlife without the proper license. Also, a wild baby rabbit that has it's eyes open and is hopping around and eating solid food like grass, is old enough to be out on it's own. If this is the case, I would suggest to your friend to return it to the area where he thinks it's nest might be.

If it is really young and not old enough yet to eat solid food well and be out on it's own, and it's not known where the nest is to return it to, then a wildlife rehabber should be contacted.
https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Conservation/Laboratories/Wildlife-Investigations/Rehab/Facilities

If it is a feral domesticated rabbit, then it shouldn't be released. If you decide to keep it and your two are a bonded pair, just know that introducing a third rabbit into your home can sometimes upset the bond of a bonded pair, resulting in possible scuffles and even the need for separation.

If your two aren't bonded and you want to take this bunny in, or if they are bonded and you opt to take the bunny in, I would suggest initiating quarantine for a month to protect your other rabbits. Or if you decide you don't want to keep this rabbit, I would suggest finding a rescue in your area to take the bunny in.

The guy is not sure if its wild or a feral domestic rabbit. I'm not sure what he means his cat caught it, like if it tried to kill it but he saved it?

I'll ask him more about it, I don't know him too well, he was just some random guy I met at a concert, exchanged instagrams, and sometimes comments on stuff.

My two bunnies (in my avatar) are currently bonded. At least they don't fight, but I do see the brown one grooming the tan one.

Wild cottontail rabbits leave their babies alone and go back and feed them a couple times a day. Wild bunnies should be left where they are found with the exception of feral domestic bunnies.
Remember, the guy’s cat had it so it would be hard to “leave it where they are found”. He saved it from the cat.

Latest posts

Back