Input wanted for Felv+ kitty

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlopsnWills

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm a regular lurker around these forumsand I was just wanting your advice on something that doesn't have to dowith rabbits. Let me start out by telling you that we have 4 dogs, 5cats, 2 buns, 3 hermit crabs, and a betta. It's a pretty full house!

One of our cats adopted us back in August and we decided to name himJoey. We always quarantine our animals before introducing them and wealways have a checkup before letting them settle into our family. Aweek or two after feeding Joey, we brought him in for his neuter andfound out he had aweak positive for Feline Leukemia. I'm notsure how many people here know about this disease, but it's verycontagious to other cats when they come into contact with them andhaven't been vaccinated against it. (Just another reason to have yourpets regularly vaccinated!)Joey is a very young cat, so we're guessinghe was born with it, unfortunately. He has been living in our playroomoff of the garage with a couch, a kitty bed, a heater, good qualityfood, and lots of toys and we try to give him as much attention aspossible. Is this cruel? We have a shelter about an hour away from uswho takes in leukemia positive kitties, but it would cost me money tohouse him there.. and I've grown very attached to him, and so has myfamily. What would you do? He seems to be happy as he plays with anyoneand loves to cuddle.. we even put classical music on for him. I justworry about him getting bored, yet I know a lot of cats have it wayworse than him.

The vet said he could live 10+ years with health monitoring and shedoesn't see anything wrong with keeping him the way we've been keepinghim. Sorry this is so long, I really want advice! I've also never givenaway an animal.

Hello...I'm so sorry your baby has wound up testing positive for feline leukemia. :(

I honestly don't know much about the disease, as I've never had a kittythat had it, but I can direct you to a site where LOTS of members doknow about it. It's http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/. I suggest posting a thread about this (basically what youposted here), and they can give you lots of information about felineleukemia.

Until then, how big is the room your new baby lives in? It'sprobably just fine, Hun. As long as a kitty has plenty ofspace to run around, play, jump on things, they'll be justfine. :) And, from what you've said, he soundscontent, so don't worry yourself too much, okay? :)

My love to you both!

Rosie*

Thank you so much for the super fast replies!I'm waiting on that forum that you posted Rosie, to get back to me andOK me as a member. I'm thankful you're telling me it's not cruel tokeep him sort of isolated, I worry about him being happy. The room heis in is about 400 sq. feet.. so it's not tiny, just a tad boring. Thegood part about that room is, it's the room my family uses to come andgo from the house most of the time, so he does get a lot of "hello"sthroughout the day.

Well, see...now that's quite good for akitty! He's got lots of love and support, sees people quiteoften, and he's got a good amount of room to play in! Justprovide him with plenty of different kinds of toys, and continue togive him lots of love and attention (like I know you do :) ), and he'llbe just fine! He sounds really content and happy tome...don't worry about a thing. :)

Hi there, I think you are doing a great job!:DMost people who rescued a cat then found out it had feline leukemiawould not keep it, they'd probably release it or have it PTS:(

Sounds to me like he has a good enough life, as long as he has enoughstimulation and has toys to play with like Rosie said, he's got itgood!:cool:

As long as this isn't a problem for you I'd keep it up, you're great!And anyway, how could you give up such a handsome boy!:bunnydance:

Michaela and the girls:brownbunny:brownbunny:brownbunny

Our cats live in a room together. Wetry to get new toys every month and pet and play as much as wecan. In a shelter he'd be in a cage unless he was adopted andbeing FLV + he's not gonna be high on the adoptable list. Ithink you are doing just fine with him.

Our vet told us it's possible for cats to still get this even if they are vaccinated.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it :DYou've made me feel a lot better.

The shelter I was just considering has an indoor/outdoor enclosed areafor all felv+ kitties to live together in a huge area.. theydo not have a time limit, and if somebody wants to adopt them, they getsupport from the shelter for vet bills. It's a really great place. Iwould never consider putting him in a cage for the rest of his life orrisk himgetting put to sleep.

Cats who are vaccinated still have a 10% chance of getting the disease,which is why our other catsdo not come into contact with Joey.

Good thinking on your part, about keeping themseparated. It's not worth the risk...but I'm glad sweet Joeyis happy and has a wonderful home now! Every kitty deserves achance!! :D

I wouldn't want to have him live in a cage, either, or have him put tosleep...what a cutie pie! Like I said, they all deserve achance at a happy life...all animals do! :)

I've always had the belief that animals are here for us to protect andlove and help give a wonderful home to, whether that be an outdoor home(as in wild animals) or a warm, indoor home (for domestics).:)

I think you're doing a lovely job of that. :)

FlopsnWills wrote:
Thanks guys, I appreciate it :DYou've made me feel a lot better.

The shelter I was just considering has an indoor/outdoor enclosed areafor all felv+ kitties to live together in a huge area.. theydo not have a time limit, and if somebody wants to adopt them, they getsupport from the shelter for vet bills. It's a really great place. Iwould never consider putting him in a cage for the rest of his life orrisk himgetting put to sleep.

Cats who are vaccinated still have a 10% chance of getting the disease,which is why our other catsdo not come into contact with Joey.

Aww...thank you! You're so sweet! :)

I'm always so happy to hear when another person is doing their part inprotecting and loving animals. There are so many people thatdon't think like we do...though I think the number does grow for peoplethat do. :)

Wow - what a handsome young cat. He's so blessed to have adopted you.

I think he has an ideal situation considering the facts. The only thingthat would be better - and even then I'm not sure that it would bebetter (considering your family loves him) is if he was in a home wherehe was the only cat.

I think if he's happy and he's well loved and you can be careful aboutnot cleanliness, etc. as you go back and forth between him and yourother cats...(and I'm sure you're great about that)....then you shouldkeep him.

He looks not only healthy - but happy too....you can just sort of see it in his eyes or something...

Peg

That's what I thought, too...his eyes inspire the fact that he looks quite content.

It's funny, I've never thought of it...but a kitty's eyes are wheremost of their communication is. In fact, I think the same ofhumans, too. I think if a person can read the emotion in aperson's eyes, they can understand kitties, too. Of course,kitties use a lot of their general physical behaviour to communicate,too, just like bunnies do, but the eyes really do say it all!:)

I think I'm able to understand most of what my bun girls are sayingbased on the expression in the eyes. Which is good...cuzgoodness knows I don't understand a lot of physical communicationyet! I've read sites, but it's sure easier to understand ifyou're watching live movement. :)

TinysMom wrote:
He looks not only healthy - but happy too....you can just sort of see it in his eyes or something...

Peg

Latest posts

Back