Injured stray rabbit (GRAPHIC PHOTOS)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackie5681

Reaction score
At my parents house there is a stray rabbit - appears domesticated - been hanging around over a year - noticed a couple days ago large/huge lump over eye - puss in eye - what do we do? was able to get him to eat carrots and drink water.

Have photos but didn't want to just post due to graphic nature.

Sounds like he requires catching and a closer exam. If it's just an injury above his eye it sounds infected. You can put neosporin on it without the antibiotic in it. If his eye is pushed out and has pus then it's probably an abscess and he wont make it long. Would recommend capturing and visit to a rabbit savy vet but it will probably be an expensive visit. Depends on how far you're willing to go for a rabbit that isnt yours.

It appears that he is letting you get close to him. Do you think that he will allow you to pick him up ?
It is not ideal but sometimes a person can trap a bun in a humane trap ; they lend them out at our humane society especially for stray cats, however, could be used for a bun. They also sell them at farm stores like Fleet /Farm .

You could also get a few people to help you and maybe throw a blanket over him; you would need to use some caution as that area is so swollen and infected. :-( :-( very sad to see.
Try to think out a plan before you attempt to get him as you don't want to frighten him away from your area in this condition.
It looks like a huge abscess and even if you cannot keep this bun you need to get him to a vet so that he doesn't have to suffer like this.
If you have a House Rabbit Society in you area they possibly could assist you ...many shelters would probably euth right way although it depends on the shelter so it would help to talk with a shelter in your area (esp. one that adopts out rabbits!)
if you cannot get him yourself I would contact animal control rather than to have him die slowly from this....:-(

Aawww, the poor guy! That must hurt a lot. I would have to do something with him if I saw him rather than him suffering and dying.

he needs to get care as soon as possible. There isnt anything you can apply or use OTC for that bad of an injury. His eye will pretty much need to be removed and he will need to be put on antibiotics

We think it was someone's pet and they dumped him. We're near Seattle. My niece noticed he was hurt a few days ago his eye and ear. We can get close to him and have quickly let him a few times over the last year. No luck ever catching him though. We do have a humane trap and could try that. Don't really have the money to pay for vet care but am willing to take him pretty much anywhere. My niece loves the little guy and calls him her pet. She even named him/her. We don't want to see the poor bunny suffer though.

Oh, that looks terrible, the poor little guy. I agree that you should at least try and get him some vet help to assess what needs doing. That must really hurt. Looks as though he´s let you fairly close so maybe you will be able to catch him fairly easily so he can be checked out.

I hope that something can be done.

Keep us posted! He definitely needs some help, poor guy :(

Sent from my iPhone using Rabbit Forum

When it comes to injured feral/stray animals, I always figure euthanasia is a better option than death by predator or car.
I would try either a trap or if you have an exercise pen sometimes people have luck funneling them into those and shutting the gate. Taking him to your local animal shelter should get him help. That must hurt.

You could also try calling animal control if he stays in a pretty predictable area.

Holy sheet that is a whopper of a something or other. Just when you think you've seen it all. Poor baby.

Wow that bunny really needs help. I would trap him if you can, get in touch with a rescue or animal control if you can't and hopefully they can catch him. I agree, it is not fair to him for that to go untreated. Even if animal control will euthanize him, that would be more humane than him having to deal with that.

Have you been able to get the bun to a shelter or vet? Rabbit Haven is in Gig Harbor and they are good. The rabbits there are very well taken care of. There is a vet in Kirkland, I think it is Exotic and Avian Animal Hospital. There is also All Creatures Animal Hospital in Gorst near Bremerton. These guys are real good, if you go here, you will have to go under me. My name is Marsha. Also mention Prince, he has been seen there the most. Sweetie has been seen only once there.

I hope that you were able to get this rabbit in to get help.

Latest posts

Back