Injured Cottontail Story

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samara

Reaction score
My husband called me this morning and told me he found a small cottontail on the side of the road that had some injuries. I made up a crate and set off to pick up the wee one.

He was alert and didn't appear to have any broken bones; he had an eye injury and some blood around his mouth. I whisked him right to our rabbit savvy vet who essentially dropped everything to do an exam.

No broken bones! The prognosis was decent; IV fluids, some injected antibiotics and some time outside (safely) at the vet in an Xpen to keep him from stressing about humans. If he is well enough for release he's going home with the doctor herself because she has a farm and land for the little one. If things don't go well, then his suffering will be eased humanely.

He weighed just over a pound! When I opened the hatch to take the crate into the vet's office he was kicked out and sniffing the hay I'd put in. Fingers crossed! They're going to call me either way to let me know how things turn out.

:pray:

Fingers crossed for the wee one!

Hoping he can be released on your Vet's farm to enjoy the rest of his life. Good for you and your husband for giving him a fighting chance!

Keep us updated!

K:)

ZRabbits wrote:
Fingers crossed for the wee one! 

Hoping he can be released on your Vet's farm to enjoy the rest of his life.  Good for you and your husband for giving him a fighting chance!

Keep us updated!

K:)

:yeahthat:

Hey guys - I just got off the phone with the doctor; the little one passed away last night. :( She said he had a lot of brain trauma and it wasn't meant to be, but I thanked her for giving it her all and trying. They gave him fluids, antibiotics, food and shelter....poor little guy just couldn't hang on.

Thank you for all the well wishes :( I'm glad he at least had a shot, you know? Dying by the side of the road seems so awful.

So sorry to hear about this-sounded so promising with the vet availible and all; binky free lil' bun~

Latest posts

Back