Injured bun, need help please

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My male bunny was injured and his private parts are horrible - looks like either he clawed, bit or chewed on his genital or the other bunny in the pen did it to him - I have never seen them fight at all - but I am new to rabbits. They have a nice hutch and play pen area. I took injured bun to vet - she was very surprised - main concern was if bun was urinating and he is. However its now been 4 days and the poor little things injury still looks awful. I am curious if anyone else has ever seen anything like this and what to expect as far as recovery time? The vet really didn't tell me, I do not have a "rabbit" vet in my area. She did give the bun an antibiotic shot. Bun is eating - drinking (seems to be a bit less) and is urinating and pooping. Do you think he will recover? It still bleeds a bit - not constantly - just see spots of blood every now and then. I appreciate all answers as I want to be sure I am doing everything correctly. Thanks!

Don't know anything about it, but wanted to post my support. If the vet is not too worried and he is eating, pooing and peeing it sound like it will just take time. You could try talking to another vet and get a second opininion. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will see this thread and respond. Prayers for your little guy.

I will move this to the Infirmary area for you in hope of getting more replys.

Can you get us a good clear macro photo of the area so we can see how it looks? The vet should still have been able to help you, bunnys wounds arent that different from dogs/cats wounds. Is your bun leaving the wound area alone?

Well he licks at the area, which is typical of animals licking in the general area to clean themselves. But the vet did not think there was any repair so to speak that she could do - it just looks raw and open.

Licking around the area is acceptable, licking the actual wound will prevent it from healing properly and may extend the healing process and keep the wound open longer. Try and find some bitter spray at a vets, (not the pet store stuff, you need some that can be safely sprayed on an open wound), or if all else fails he will need a cone.

You need to keep the area clean, if there is any dirt in the wound or it gets grungy or pussy around or in the wound it needs a cleaning (from you not him). Warm water, add a squirt of antibacterial soap like Hibitain (not that stuff we wash our hands with that has lotions and this and that in it) grab some gauze or a light wash cloth and use that to mix the soap into the water a bit, and gently clean the area, pat it dry with a dry cloth and youre done.
He should be kept on towels for the next week or so. You can also try applying antibiotic ointment like polysporin to it, but make sure he doesn't lick the area.

A picture would still be helpful.

i am keeping the area very clean, used an antimicrobial wash - diluted then rinsed well, very gently, then applyed neosporin - as much as he would let me - i am keeping clean sheet/towels in area where he sleeps. I have just been so alarmed by this - I have never seen anything like it and again no very little about my buns as I rescued them and took them in and I am in the learning process. I did not realize they would fight - they are very loving towards each other almost all the time and whenever this accident occured - I did not see it. I will try to take a picture and post it.

I had a rabbit who was bitten and injured very badly in his genitals.

The vet had to reconstruct his genitals and it took about 100 stitches to put everything back together. He recovered fully but he was on antibiotics and pain killers for a couple weeks.

I was also cleaning the area with Betadine to keep it clean. Zeke also had to wear an e-collar while he healed so he wouldn't rip the stitches out.

He was injured when he humped another bunny's head and got bitten during a bonding session. It ripped a quarter sized chunk of skin off.

When he healed, he peed sideways and would get urine scald on his leg if I didn't keep the fur on the inside of his leg trimmed short. But he did just fine and it didn't seem to affect him.

I would advise on keeping the area very clean and getting him some pain medication.

-Dawn

Even though you don't have a rabbit vet in your area, maybe take him to another vet for a second opinion? They may not be a rabbit expert, but they might have more experience than the other vet.

How does the skin look? Red and angry, or more pinkish? It worries me that it still bleeds. That would indicate to me that it needs stitches or wound glue. I agree that a second vet visit is a good idea. An anti-inflammatory/pain med would be helpful, like metacam (meloxicam). A lot of times we have to take our bunnies to emergency vets who don't know a ton about rabbits for a quick immediate fix, and then we have to follow up with a rabbit vet at a later time.

Latest posts

Back