Injured baby! Help! Warning, graphic photo!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nikkijones

Reaction score
So our rabbit gave birth last night/this morning. When I went and found the new babies 1 was lovely and healthy.. the other not so much. Looks like it's head may have been sliced open by mum's nail or something? Definitely the smaller of the two that were born.
What should I do? Just leave it and see how it goes? Or end it's pain?
(First time having new baby rabbits in our house!)

Attachments

• 20190222_131113.jpg
    20190222_131113.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 57
  • 20190222_131118.jpg
    20190222_131118.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 50
Looks like a mengocele, though the photos aren’t very clear. Take it to a vet, or I would probably be inclined to end its suffering. If you wish you can wait and see if it can suckle etc.

I'm not a doctor but either end that little ones suffering or take her to the vet NOW! from what it looks like that looks like a blood clot or a blister of blood or something. Omg best of luck.

I would monitor how it feeds, and competes with its siblings. Just because it does look gross, it isn't a clear indication for suffering - from own experience I can tell that blood blisters do not really hurt, if that's what we're looking at, and rabbits are a tough bunch regarding pain..

If it doesn't feed, and start to fade, I would considering euthanizing too, but I'm very reluctant to make that decision when there's still hope.

Latest posts

Back