Injured baby! Help! Warning, graphic photo!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Nikkijones, Feb 22, 2019.

Help Support Rabbits Online by donating:

  1. Feb 22, 2019 #1

    Nikkijones

    Nikkijones

    Nikkijones

    New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 22, 2019
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    New Zealand
    So our rabbit gave birth last night/this morning. When I went and found the new babies 1 was lovely and healthy.. the other not so much. Looks like it's head may have been sliced open by mum's nail or something? Definitely the smaller of the two that were born.
    What should I do? Just leave it and see how it goes? Or end it's pain?
    (First time having new baby rabbits in our house!)
     

    Attached Files:

  2. Feb 22, 2019 #2

    Popsicles

    Popsicles

    Popsicles

    Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2018
    Messages:
    1,052
    Likes Received:
    428
    Location:
    England
    Looks like a mengocele, though the photos aren’t very clear. Take it to a vet, or I would probably be inclined to end its suffering. If you wish you can wait and see if it can suckle etc.
     
  3. Feb 26, 2019 #3

    ShaunaDarling

    ShaunaDarling

    ShaunaDarling

    Active Member

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2018
    Messages:
    28
    Likes Received:
    9
    Location:
    Niagara Ontario
    I'm not a doctor but either end that little ones suffering or take her to the vet NOW! from what it looks like that looks like a blood clot or a blister of blood or something. Omg best of luck.
     
  4. Feb 26, 2019 #4

    Preitler

    Preitler

    Preitler

    Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2015
    Messages:
    497
    Likes Received:
    269
    Location:
    Austria (No Kangaroos!)
    I would monitor how it feeds, and competes with its siblings. Just because it does look gross, it isn't a clear indication for suffering - from own experience I can tell that blood blisters do not really hurt, if that's what we're looking at, and rabbits are a tough bunch regarding pain..

    If it doesn't feed, and start to fade, I would considering euthanizing too, but I'm very reluctant to make that decision when there's still hope.
     

Share This Page