Injection site reaction?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnydude

Reaction score
Late yesterday, I found a nasty, scabbed over wound on Devon's back. It was 11 o'clock at night when I noticed (Thanks, Devon:?!). We called the emergency vet and she said to wait to see our regular vets since he was eating/drinking/acting fine.

So we just got back from the vet's, and her belief is that it's an injection site reaction from the three doses of sub-q's he got a few weeks ago for his stasis. Luckily, she didn't see any pus and said it seems to be healing quite well. We'll keep an eye on it to make sure that he doesn't develop any pus. He already has an appointment scheduled for follow-up bloodwork next Monday, so she'll take another look then.

Right now there's no immediate cause for concern, but has anyone else heard of something like that happening?

Matt:cool:

P.S. On the bright side, she said his stomach and gut sounds are remarkably better, even though he hasn't gained back as much weight as she had wanted. Not bad for a bunny who was as sick as he was.

Yes, that can happen. I'd say keep and eye on it, and it should be okay.

Hi Matt,

A skin abscess is quite common with injections especially if the injection is a littleirritating like penicillin...but that is a risk anytime you stick a rabbit. That is why it is a good idea to move the injection points around. I am using the flanks more and more as they seem less likely to develop these abscesses. They are usually self resolving. A bit of basic Neosporin or SSD might be helpful. Sometimes they do scratch the area...just watch for that.

Randy

Ive heard of this happening lots of times. Just keep an eye on it (or if you have some on hand you could put some neosporine or silvadine on it to help it heal).

Glad to hear our boy's ok!

Thanks for the responses everyone. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on it. He's tried to get at it a few times, but he doesn't seem to be terribly bothered by it.

I was thinking about it today and its all starting to make sense. For a few days after he recieved fluids, he would freak out when anything came near or brushed up against his back. I just feel bad that I hadn't noticed any sooner. And, truth be told, I only found it by accident when I did. I was just petting him and noticed it when I felt a bump.

If he ever needs any more injections, I'll ask my vets how they feel about injecting him on his flanks. Thanks for that bit of info:D.

I haven't had a problem with any of my rabbits, but i am sure it can happen. We have to give our bunny "boof" weekly injections of penicillin, and he has never had any adverse reactions.

Latest posts

Back