Infection After neuter

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minilop

Reaction score
Hey guys.

Last night I got Cao out, and flipped him over to check out his healing. Not good. :(He had the stitches out about two weeks ago - But had a few other little problems. Nothing Big.

But now, It looks like he has got a nasty infection down there, with alot of pus and open wound. He is going to the vet tomorrow morning, and has had an injection this morning, and one for tonight still to go. We are also spraying 'down there' with some anti-infection spray. Poor Cao. If it's not one thing, it’s another!

He has been separated from Colin again, even though they only JUST started getting along. Gah! We thought at first it was the mounting etc that did it, but now I don't think it is. Anyways, I will update tomorrow with what the vet said.

Thanks. :)

I'm not sure the treatment is enough. They used to think that a single injection, or two, of penicillin was all rabbits could handle. Now, the treatment calls for every other day injections for at least a week, I think 2 is better. I'm not sure a topical spray will do anything. You may have to go back for a longer course of injectible antibiotic.

Good luck!

yea they are consumate groomers,and i am sure the area was itchy,and pulling out the stitches are easy to do,sorry to hear the area got infected,but it is one of the risks of surgery:nerves1,sincerely james waller

Hi,

What injection are you giving? And am I correct in thinking you have not been to a vet yet? And I would be very cautious on any "antibiotic spray". Some of these products, especially that are designed for humans or other animal species, may have components that might not be in a rabbit's best interest....better safe than sorry. And my next question is more for the vets in general....when are you people going to graduate into this century? There is a miracle product (and it truly is) called "Vet Bond".....it's tissue glue. Even with spays, we insist on internal absorbing sutures with a final close with glue. And with neuters, glue is all that is needed and that lessens the chance for infection or irritation from external sutures. And if this infection is due to the sutures...that brings up some other concerns.

I would also be concerned if the vet just prescribed an antibiotic without a culture. The correct protocol would be to start a broad spectrum drug while performing a culture.....then switch the drug to one indicated by results of the culture. While numerous pathogens can cause soft tissus infections, one that must be seriously considered is staph...and certain strains of staph are becoming or are already resistant to most of the drugs that can be safely used in a rabbit....and that is why a culture is so important.

Randy

I'm sorry your bunny is struggling. Given it's winter over there I'm fairly sure this is irrelevant, but if you have flies around please make sure to check him regularly (at least three times a day) to make sure he doesn't have any eggs or maggots on him which can lead to flystrike.

It's a huge issue over here at the moment, which is why I'm saying it and it probably is not an issue for you because of the season you are in.

Just couldn't not say :p

Thanks guys for your speedy replies.

Claire – There were two injections. I think they were mainly pain-killers. Mum had to inject him, so she knows what they are - but is at work at the moment.

James – He had a head collar on when he had the stitches in, but they got taken out two weeks ago. He only just got infected.

Randy- I’m pretty sure the injection was a painkiller, as it was Sunday night when I wrote this, and he was going to the vet in the morning. You were correct, but the vet was organized. Mum took him in as she works there, and is bringing him home tonight. He isn’t home yet. The antibiotic spray is a type of Iodine thing, made as an anti-infection for animals. It is safe and made for all pets, and we diluted it with water as well so it wasn’t strong.

Our vets do have the glue, but for some reason prefer not to use it. I did ask. The stitches did not cause the infection, as it was after they were taken out, with him running around. Probably my fault, And I know that. It makes me feel terrible.

Like I said before – The drug was only a painkiller or anti-infection thing. Thanks for all the information – you obviously know your vet info. :)

Flashy- No flies here. To cold. Thanks though.

Update -

Cao's infection is called Pasteurella, and it is a virus caused by his wound opening up. Apparently it takes a long time to heal, and we have been given some more anti infection drugs to cure it, that have to be given every morning.

Here is a page about what Pasteuella is.

My poor baby. Even though it isn’t too bad at the moment, I wish I could have caught it earlier.

http://www.rabbitnetwork.org/articles/past.shtml

Minilop wrote:
Update -

Cao's infection is called Pasteurella, and it is a virus caused by his wound opening up. Apparently it takes a long time to heal, and we have been given some more anti infection drugs to cure it, that have to be given every morning.

Here is a page about what Pasteuella is.

My poor baby. Even though it isn’t too bad at the moment, I wish I could have caught it earlier.

http://www.rabbitnetwork.org/articles/past.shtml 

Not all that important, but the 'bacteria' is Pasteurella, it's not a virus. It's just one of the more common bacteria (bacterium?) affecting (or infecting) rabbits. They test to find out which bacteria just to be able to prescribe the antibiotic that best combats that strain, but otherwise it's not all that relevant. It's still more correct to say your rabbit has an abscess or an infection, not that your rabbit has 'Pasteurella'.

Pasteurella also commonly causes a respiratory infection so the term is often used for that, although I don't think that's correct either.

And I doubt it's anything you did. These things happen.

Hope with the new drugs he recovers quickly!

sas :bunnydance:

I am concerned that the antibiotic spray isn't enough. It sounds like povidone iodine (betadine), or a diluted iodine. This will only kill bacteria on the surface of the skin, not those inside the abscess/infection. I think he should have more frequent dosing of an antibiotic, either oral or injectible. For instance, when Benjamin was neutered, we washed the wounds daily with betadine to keep them from getting infected--it's more of a preventative than something that will treat an already established infection.

The vet told us not to spray the anti infection spray any more. It wasn't hurting him at all, but apparently it wouldn't be very affective. He now has to have any injectable drug every morning for three days. He also had two others before this, so that is a total of 5 injections lately. He really isn't all that happy at the moment. Pip - Should I say, it was an Infection from his neuter wounds. That makes more sense. :)

Best wishes for his recovery.

I had an infection in my arm/hand from a cat bite late last summer... the bacteria was Pasteurella. :) Apparently it is a resident bacteria in cat mouths.

Denise

Latest posts

Back