Indorex- how safe is it for a bun that licks EVERYTHING

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcottonl02

Reaction score
I work with dogs every day and although I have tried my hardest to avoid bringing unwanted friends home with me, 3 years later I have now succeeded in bringing flea (s) home who more than happily leapt on my rabbit Benji and set up camp. I haven't seen any flea or got bitten as of yet.

I took him to the vet for a scab I found (wasn't sure what it was so I popped him down), and she found a small amount of flea dirt. She was very surprised to see fleas on a rabbit too!
Anyway he has been treated (with advantage) and I've got some in the cupboard for future use (they only last a week??!! what the hell), and I treated my house with indorex, hoovering every day and have popped a flea collar in the hoover.

Now. My question sounds silly but I just need some reassurance.

Benji has no front teeth and licks EVERYTHING. The instructions stated to treat all pet bedding (which I did, including his indoor cage, as I counted this as bedding as he only sleeps there at night), but NOT to get anywhere near food preparation surfaces or eating utensils.

I covered his bowls with a tea towell when I sprayed the kitchen floor (I hope a tea towell would have been enough?) and then washed them down with washing up liquid like i do normally, just to be safe.

It says "food preparation surfaces and bowls" etc so I am assuming it's not meant for places where the animal is going to eat from/lick.

Benji licks EVERYTHING though! Floors, toes, bags, his bed, his cage, your face; seriously he is a licker. Is this safe to use if I have such a licky bunny??? I left it for half an hour (as stated on the instructions), then opened all windows (in my flat) for over an hour and then let Benji back in his cage only, and then after about 5 hours let him out properly.

My question is, I guess, how safe is it really for rabbits? I've already thrown two bowls away for fear that some of the spray might have got on them, and washing might not work well enough to get it off. After it has dried and been washed off, say, a bowl (IF it got on there in the first place), how safe is that?

I'm going to do the house again next week just to be on the safe side, and I don't want to have to be worrying like this again lol. There is NO information regarding indorex and rabbits on the internet :/

Jen

Here's what I found:

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/furmite/fur_mite.htm

[FONT=&quot]Treatment of the environment is important (boric acid such as [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Fleabusters[/FONT][FONT=&quot]®; Vet-Kem Acclaim Plus® - Sanofi; Staykil® - Novartis; Indorex® - Virbac; acaricide spray). [/FONT][FONT=&quot]When treating a carpet, vacuum first in order to further penetration of the spray or powder. Shampooing and steam cleaning are not ideal; their residual humidity can increase the mite problem. During treatment of the environment, rabbits should be kept in another part of the home to avoid the danger of contact with the products.

So according to this - the product, Indorex is dangerous to rabbits. It doesn't say for how long you have to keep them in another part of the home either......maybe you can contact the manufacturer?
[/FONT]

Latest posts

Back