Indoor pen materials?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vanillabun

Reaction score
My room is really big (approx 3x5 meters, maybe even bigger) and half of it is empty, so I decided to build an indoor pen for my rabbits. But I need help with two things:

- What material should I use for fences? At first I thought of buying one of those green plastic nets you buy at hardware stores, but then I realised it could be a bad idea, since the rabbits might chew on it and destroy it.

- What material should I use for bedding? Again, I thought of using synthetic grass, but it's also a bad idea because of the same chewing issue.

Thank you all for your help, have a fantastic day!:bunny18:

What about fleece or towels for bedding? As long as your rabbits don't swallow the material they'll be fine, but you'll want to litter train your rabbits (it can be done, but its easier if their fixed) have you thought about using a dog playpen or an Xpen for fencing? And yes, plastic material like netting should not be used, something made of strong metal would be ideal.

An x-pen is perfectly suited to the task. And if your rabbit is potty trained (easy to do) then there is a variety of flooring options. Even carpet can work with many rabbits.

Here's a sample of an x-pen being used as "a cage."

sams x pen.jpg

Metal is always the best option with rabbits. An x-pen, like suggested or those adjustable cubes (I don't know how it's called in English) which are primarily used to build things like bookcases but that people use a lot to make pens or cages with. They are not that expensive and are convenient because you can really make whatever shape is the best for your room with them.

If your rabbits have a litter tray, they don't need any bedding. I would actually not to put anything on the floor as rabbits like to lie there to keep cool in summer. Besides things like carpets / synthetic grass... can be eaten and will retain bacteria / dampness which can provoke pododermatitis. I've had rabbits inside my house for years and they were in my room in a parisian flat for 5 years before that and they didn't damage the hardwood floor at all. There are a few poops to scoop out and some hay but I think it would actually be a lot harder to clean if there was soft bedding there. You can put a cushion inside the pen so that the rabbits can lay on it if they really want something soft (mine have a pillow, wrapped in a cover so that they don't open it and eat the inside - they only use it when it's cold and won't go near it in the summer).

Latest posts

Back