Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JazzPizzazz

Reaction score
Hi there!

I have looked online and there is much debate over whether domestic rabbits belong indoor or outdoor. I personally think that it would be great to let my little Netherland Dwarf, Jazz, live inside (of course after I get her desexed). But, my parents, whom I live with disagree.
Please tell me your opinions on where rabbits should be kept and why.
I have a Netherland Dwarf doe, named Jazz, my sister has a Miniature Lop buck, called Lightning, and I also have a Beagle called Tess.
Tess and the rabbits get along, as Tess’ maternal instincts override her hunting instincts, so is not a concern (the rabbits aren’t even scared of her!), but Jazz and Lightning don’t, but I hope that getting them desexed will help them. They currently live in decent sized hutches outside and have a pen, where they can dig little burrows. My dog has her own room, but likes to go outside; she occasionally comes into the house. I want the best for them, so will take any advice. I also am very passionate about animal rights, so I really want them to live their best lives!
=: 3
Thanks for any help,
JazzPizzazz.

Attachments

• C42B29B0-D166-493B-B6FE-8703B5402890.jpeg
    C42B29B0-D166-493B-B6FE-8703B5402890.jpeg
    274.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 3AE9C786-2E3E-4446-86AF-94710B73C492.jpeg
    3AE9C786-2E3E-4446-86AF-94710B73C492.jpeg
    109.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 80021589-2F47-4271-81EE-B104F3962094.jpeg
    80021589-2F47-4271-81EE-B104F3962094.jpeg
    414.9 KB · Views: 2
Hi there!

I have looked online and there is much debate over whether domestic rabbits belong indoor or outdoor. I personally think that it would be great to let my little Netherland Dwarf, Jazz, live inside (of course after I get her desexed). But, my parents, whom I live with disagree.
I have a Netherland Dwarf doe, named Jazz, my sister has a Miniature Lop buck, called Lightning, and I also have a Beagle called Tess.
Tess and the rabbits get along, as Tess’ maternal instincts override her hunting instincts, so is not a concern (the rabbits aren’t even scared of her!), but Jazz and Lightning don’t, but I hope that getting them desexed will help them. They currently live in decent sized hutches outside and have a pen, where they can dig little burrows. My dog has her own room, but likes to go outside; she occasionally comes into the house. I want the best for them, so will take any advice. I also am very passionate about animal rights, so I really want them to live their best lives!
Thanks for any help,
JazzPizzazz.
I has most of my rabbits and guinea pigs live outside .
Now , I don't agree with rabbits living outside through the entire year , like in the winter , but mine always live outside in the summer . (except for 1)
The biggest threat to buns outside is predators and harsh weather .
Our cages are prepped for that kind of thing, and we have a large , secured run

The only one , jasmine doesn't really like it out doors .
She lives in a big room and is Only in her pen at night.

Depending on your weather , and predators , you might want to have a chat with your parents?

I has most of my rabbits and guinea pigs live outside .
Now , I don't agree with rabbits living outside through the entire year , like in the winter , but mine always live outside in the summer . (except for 1)
The biggest threat to buns outside is predators and harsh weather .
Our cages are prepped for that kind of thing, and we have a large , secured run

The only one , jasmine doesn't really like it out doors .
She lives in a big room and is Only in her pen at night.

Depending on your weather , and predators , you might want to have a chat with your parents?
Thanks!

Myself have both indoor and outdoors bunnies. It all depend on what the bunnies like and what they need. Some bunnies will be a lot happier living outdoors while other will fit better indoors.

Then it depend on the environment and predators. If you have an outdoor bunny they must have a friend, they can’t be alone outdoors.

I have had both outdoor and indoor rabbits. It gets cold in my area and rabbits can handle cold, as long as they are protected from the elements. Rabbits have a hard time handling hot temperatures and can get heat stroke. The best place keep your rabbits depends on where you like to spend your time. I liked to spend a lot of time outdoors, so keeping rabbits outside was enjoyable to me. But it looks like your parents are the ones who decide where you keep your rabbits. If you need to keep your rabbits outside, I encourage you to find other outdoor rabbit people who find joy in spending time with their rabbits and learn from them.

I have had both outdoor and indoor rabbits. It gets cold in my area and rabbits can handle cold, as long as they are protected from the elements. Rabbits have a hard time handling hot temperatures and can get heat stroke. The best place keep your rabbits depends on where you like to spend your time. I liked to spend a lot of time outdoors, so keeping rabbits outside was enjoyable to me. But it looks like your parents are the ones who decide where you keep your rabbits. If you need to keep your rabbits outside, I encourage you to find other outdoor rabbit people who find joy in spending time with their rabbits and learn from them.
Thanks!

Myself have both indoor and outdoors bunnies. It all depend on what the bunnies like and what they need. Some bunnies will be a lot happier living outdoors while other will fit better indoors.

Then it depend on the environment and predators. If you have an outdoor bunny they must have a friend, they can’t be alone outdoors.
Thanks!

@Hermelin makes a good point -- outdoor rabbits should be in bonded pairs. I understand there are two rabbits, but one is yours and one is your sister's. If you get them fixed and do bond them, just know that bonded rabbits must remain together 24/7. That means that you'll have to figure that out. If they bond, you can't keep yours in one place and your sister keep hers in another. Bonded means they stay together - whether indoors or out. (If they are outside, they are at higher risk for RHD.)

If they won't be bonded, then it's best for single rabbits to live indoors. Your parents may not be aware how common it is to house rabbits indoors. They may also think that rabbits will make the house smell. But with the right housing set-up, there is no reason for indoor rabbits to be smelly.

I've kept my rabbits all indoors. Our climate is far too hot for outdoor living anyway. But since I've housed indoors for so long, I decided to create a website to share what it can be like to house indoors. The photos, articles (& some videos) on my site might serve to help show what it is like. A picture can be worth a thousand words, so maybe some of those photos may help your parents see what it could be like.
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/

Hi there!

Thanks for any help,
JazzPizzazz.
I have Bunster indoors. Currently, she isn't spayed so i don't have a friend for her (also my parents probably wouldn't like me buying more animals😄). The vets around me are pretty expensive for 'exotic' pets (as bunnies are apparently exotic:rolleyes:;)). So, I prefer her to be indoors. Also with all the snow and heat here, i don't like the thought of her outside in a cold/boiling cage. Anyway, we are companions, so, I like to see her each day even if she can't be free-roam.

@Hermelin makes a good point -- outdoor rabbits should be in bonded pairs. I understand there are two rabbits, but one is yours and one is your sister's. If you get them fixed and do bond them, just know that bonded rabbits must remain together 24/7. That means that you'll have to figure that out. If they bond, you can't keep yours in one place and your sister keep hers in another. Bonded means they stay together - whether indoors or out. (If they are outside, they are at higher risk for RHD.)

If they won't be bonded, then it's best for single rabbits to live indoors. Your parents may not be aware how common it is to house rabbits indoors. They may also think that rabbits will make the house smell. But with the right housing set-up, there is no reason for indoor rabbits to be smelly.

I've kept my rabbits all indoors. Our climate is far too hot for outdoor living anyway. But since I've housed indoors for so long, I decided to create a website to share what it can be like to house indoors. The photos, articles (& some videos) on my site might serve to help show what it is like. A picture can be worth a thousand words, so maybe some of those photos may help your parents see what it could be like.
Thanks!
Good points, I’ll definitely tell my parents!

The website is so detailed and not biased at all! My mother is looking at it right now!

What can i do if i do not have two bunnies? Can't BunBun stay alone in his hutch, if I play with him? 😕

What can i do if i do not have two bunnies? Can't BunBun stay alone in his hutch, if I play with him? 😕

The reason why they need friends when living outdoors is to not be alone most of the day. We can’t keep them company all the time and they can’t come to us when they want a bit of love and seek attention.

You will have nothing to worry about but living many years outside alone, will get lonely and bunnies will often get depressed and feel a bit down. They will be less active, some lose apatite and will just be a passive bunny. Having a friend they will never be alone, they will have some to sleep next to, groom and seek attention with.

I know my first outdoor bunny he lived outside alone. He often just sat in a corner and did nothing, he would eat and was extremly clingy when a human or cat walked by. The rest of the time he just sat in one corner in the cage. I owned him when I was a young kid and didn’t know better.

You can let Bunbun have a stuffed toy to keep him company, so he have some one to snuggle up to and groom when he wants. It often helps but a friend would be the best. They have done a research about what’s work best for bunnies, friend is the top and then stuffed toys :)

Sorry if I hijacked this thread. I will start a new one to talk about this. I will probably give him a stuffed toy and spend more time with him. Thanks! :)

Sorry if I hijacked this thread. I will start a new one to talk about this. I will probably give him a stuffed toy and spend more time with him. Thanks! :)
Hermelin explained it well. One of the reasons an outdoor rabbit gets lonely is that even with the best intentions, it isn't realistic for a person to be spending loads of time outdoors with the rabbit. Think of it this way. If you were to spend every single day (rain or shine or snow or wind or cold or heat) sitting outside with your rabbit from 1:00 in the afternoon to 5:00 pm -- (how unrealistic is that??) -- that would be 4 hours every day. I think the average person would not be able to keep that schedule. But even if they did, that would mean bunny would spend 20 hours every day (24 - 4) completely alone and by himself. Twenty hours out of every 24, alone. This is why single rabbits do better indoors.

Thanks everyone! My parents have let my rabbits live inside a big area of the garage. They have a fence between them to prevent kittens, but sniff eachother.

Latest posts

Back