Indoor home layout

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olnem

Reaction score
1B4C8215-70BD-4D49-AB5B-6F8D0BFDBAC8.jpeg 3503C8EA-2992-4BA1-A7C6-FF49C0FCE8B7.jpeg Hi there. I have two rabbits that have been with us from 8weeks old. They are 3 this year.

Originally I had them in the house in a hutch but I didn’t like it as it was big, bulky and a nuisance to clean. They went outside in summer last year as my mum looked after them while we went away on holiday. Since then they have lived in the garage in a wooden hutch. I would like to have them living in the house again but struggling to find a suitable solution to living space and don’t really want to cage them.

The photo attached shows they’re layout now but it’s not working as they kicking the litter out and all over kitchen floor (even though they don’t move from carpeted area. This morning I woke up to find they had weed on a corner of the carpet and pooed on the kitchen floor next to their food bowl. They are litter trained but still poo/wee in other places too.

I like the house to be clean and presentable but struggling when the bunnies make such a mess. My husband is close to banishing them from the house completely.

I have spoken to a few people now that say they have no problem with their rabbits in the house; they don’t cage them, their free to move round; they don’t make a mess on carpets etc.

Does anyone have any tips to help me?!

If they aren't moving off of the carpeted area, then they don't like the slick floor. Some rabbits just won't go on slippery floors while others don't seem to care. If yours won't go off the carpet, that is the same as being confined in a cage the size of that little rug -- no room to run at all.

If they wee outside the litter box, then they aren't litter trained. Stray poos are pretty common, but a litter trained rabbit only pees in the box.

Perhaps you can create a space just for the rabbits with an exercise pen (or 2). You could put down a non-slick flooring or a carpet just for them. The attached photo gives a rough idea of how a pen can make a decent (though minimum) size space for a rabbit to run around.

Attachments

• sams x pen.jpg
    sams x pen.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
That’s great thanks!

If they aren't moving off of the carpeted area, then they don't like the slick floor. Some rabbits just won't go on slippery floors while others don't seem to care. If yours won't go off the carpet, that is the same as being confined in a cage the size of that little rug -- no room to run at all.

If they wee outside the litter box, then they aren't litter trained. Stray poos are pretty common, but a litter trained rabbit only pees in the box.

Perhaps you can create a space just for the rabbits with an exercise pen (or 2). You could put down a non-slick flooring or a carpet just for them. The attached photo gives a rough idea of how a pen can make a decent (though minimum) size space for a rabbit to run around.

Latest posts

Back