Indoor Dandelions?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KimberlilyKC

Reaction score
Allo, everyone. My bunnies have been adoring all the fresh dandelions leaves and flowers they've been getting now, and I'm thinking of trying to grow my own indoors this winter so they can keep enjoying these minus pesticide residues and much cheaper than store-bought. We've harvested a bunch of seeds for this project. Just wondering if any of you guys have attempted to grow these not so picky plants indoors and how this has worked out for you (can they handle less sunlight, etc.?). Would be interested in hearing about other bunny foods that anyone has had success growing indoors during harsh winters. I know herbs aren't too bad, wondering more about veggies (lettuce and other greens, peppers, etc.).

Hi Kim, I've never tried to grow dandylions inside but last year I grew some in a pot outside during the summer. I actually bought dandylions from the store that had the roots still on them so i planted them and they grew.

This winter coming (depending on where I'm living) I'm going to try to plant carrots in a container, my babies just love carrot tops so hopefully they will grow. I planted cilantro in my garden this year and that is really growing great (way better than my parsley) so i think I will try that in a pot to this winter.

Good luck with your growing. I would think they would need a fair amount of sunshine.

Susan :)

I'm trying to grow dandelion too! :p I gathered a bunch of seeds and planted them in a pot. They are growing! :D

Yeah, our cilantro is also doing better than our parsley, as well as all the other herbs we planted actually. And yeah, that might be the thing that's hard to simulate in winter: sunshine. We can aim lots of fluorescent lights at them, and put them beside the window, maybe that will work... Worth a shot, I suppose.

Latest posts

Back