increased thirst?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amberelizabeth

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Layla just got spayed on Tuesday, she seems to be recovering well, although I'm finding her chewing on MORE things when she NEVER did before hand? weird.

but anyways to my question: is it normal for them to have an increased thirst? the weather around her hasn't been to bad (actually only 70 today) and i feel like layla has been drinking a TON of water. i'm noticing she's not really eating her pellets but is eating lots of hay and veggies. maybe that's increasing her thirst.

i was just curious, because i really couldn't find anything to inform me what it'd be like after the spay thanks!:D

1 more question to add on. what do you guys think of "super premium rabbit blend" its a wild harvest w/ timothy hay

my friend gave it to me cuz she had some left over, so i decided to try a little w/ layla since she wasn't eating her pellets, i mixed them together and she went crazy eating all of it and not throwing it out of her bowl.

i can't find any fiber/protein counts on it, but it says that it has a lot of fiber. i think it's probably from a local pet store like petco/petsmart something like that.

thansk again!

I cant really think of any reason for her to be drinking more after a spay. Usually if a bun is eating more veggies than pellets they will drink less water, not more. It could just be the weather. Maybe you didnt notice it before the spay? My buns drink more this time of year.

I wouldnt worry about it unless shes having urine issues. Does everything else seem normal?

And for the pellets, who makes them? I tried researching it, is it Wild Harvest? Does it have lots of "fun" stuff in it like seeds? If so, I would pitch it, that stuff is no good for the buns.

Wild Harvest Super Premium Rabbit BlendI do believe ismade by a company called Eight In One.

It has a16% protein count -- a tad high for a non-active bun, but okayfor younger or hyper buns -- and it's aTimothyHay pelletbut withdifferent veggies incl. split peas,molasses and salt, corn and alfalfa meal and even heat processed soybeans, sunflower seeds, etc, in it, so I'm sure it's VERY high in carbs. So not thatgreat. More of a treat. (Istill want a fiber count tho).

The thirst may have been from the anesthetic. It's a good thing, best that they stay well hydrated.

PS: The chewing maybe areaction where she's stressed andis keeping her mind off her discomfort, which is also good!

sas :)

thanks for the reply guys

i mixed the "wild harvest" (which does have a ton of other stuff in it) w/ her regular supreme plain pellets, to try and trick her into eating them haha! so far so good! i plan to put less and less of the wild harvest stuff into her plainpellets as she gets used to them

Hi,

Increased thirst can usually be traced to the anesthesia which tends to dry them out just a touch.This is especially true if fluids were not administered during the procedure.

You didn't mention pain meds...can I assume she has been on analgesics since the spay?

And it does take a few days for things (hormones) to stabilize. Be patient and understanding and she will be better than ever in a few days.

Randy

Latest posts

Back