Incision site not responding to antibiotics

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Harvey has been on antibiotics for weeks. None of them are working. There are now 6 vets collaborating to figure out if there’s an underlying problem or what’s going on. Has anyone else seen something like this?

I don’t think so as the skin/ flesh isn’t inflamed. Inflammation has been going down. This infection though, has been a nightmare. It’s frustrating because I don’t have any of my dyes and plates anymore so I have to rely on others to do the work and trust their reports. The culture report came back as Staph aureus. The sensitivity report came back as sensitive to everything! But after a week of not responding to any of the antibiotics that should have been deadly I asked the vet to to do a gram stain. It came back as GNSC. That’s not Staph aureus. SMH. Over the past three weeks they’ve been giving her a cocktail of antibiotics, washing the wound out everyday and debriefing the worst part, up by her arm pit. They finally were at such a loss that they implanted two catheters in her to keep the penicillin flowing. It’s been a crazy ride. A horrible roller coaster. The head vet would be talking about possibly putting her down then Harvey would fight through it. One day I would be cleaning her room to welcome her home the next I’d would be digging her grave. It’s been horrible for us and not great for Harvey either. But the vet techs have been marvelous, and made a big play area for Harvey. She’s become their mascot and gets lots of love and spoiling. Every time we visit I see new toys someone’s brought her.
The latest news is that most of the surgery site ( sarcoma removal) is healing, the catheters have been removed, and all that’s left of the infection are a few little pockets around the arm pit where the worst of the debriding took place. It’s also where the worst of the cancer was attached. Oddly enough, the thing that turned things around ( besides so many of us praying for Harvey) was the use some sort of honey. The vet, a rabbit cancer expert, had tried everything, out of ideas and I’m assuming grasping at straws, she tried some bandages treated with some kind of honey.
we aren’t off the roller coaster yet but at least the infection is backing off, finally.

I'm really glad they found something that works. It sounds like they maybe tried medical grade manuka honey. The good thing about the honey is that bacteria doesn't develop a resistance to it like it can with antibiotics, but it actually can help the antibiotics become more effective again. I can't believe what you've had to deal with and been through with this. But it sounds like things are looking much more positive now for you and your bun.

Latest posts

Back