Incision after spay surgery [Pics included]

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jtt

Reaction score
Hi, I had my bunny fixed 2 days ago and the vet told me that "he" turned out to be a "she", which was a mistake on my part :nerves1.

She appears to be acting normal about 24 hours after bringing her home but I am just curious as to whether the incision appears normal?

I have provided pictures below but I am worried that she may have torn her incision open while running around (I don't think she tore at it as I have been monitoring her and she doesn't appear to have been picking at the area of the incision).

Help would be much appreciated, thanks.

IMAG0673.jpg

IMAG0674.jpg

The way it looks makes it seem like something is wrong to me. Why did he use glue? That could be why it looks bad...
Wait for others to respond though. Try to contact your vet and send the second photo of the incision to him/her.

Oh gosh, yes get her to the vet.

Agnes was just spayed last Friday and you can barely even see her incision. It looks like a faint, small pink line.

Best of luck! Letnus know how she is doing.

Thanks everyone, I've called the vet and I plan to bring her in for them to check out the incision again.

I just brought her home from the vet, she gave her some antibiotic and said she hasn't torn it completely open and she should be fine unless she continued to lick at the incision.

That seems... Odd to me. Has anyone else had their incision rip open that much? Because ours have always been a thin pink line and NEVER looked like that... Did they give you anything to keep her from licking it?

A proper healthy incision shows no redness, and the spot on their belly almost looks sucked in. There may be some slight scabbing at the area from fluid that ooozed out from the exterior tissue, but that is VERY minor. That is a very unhappy incision... looks more like a ruptured abscess or bullet hole.

Glue can be acceptable for boys, but for girls, especially rabbits that hop, they stretch their belly, tissue glue wont hold properly. That hole looks really bad. I would be contacting another vet for a second oppinion. Just be careful, most vets hate being contacted for post spat/neuter issues, often its "not their problem". But if the vet did that bad of a job, I wouldn't be going back.

^^^^^
I agree! How is your bunny doing? So the vet didn't re-close the hole or anything?
Geesh, I dunno. Maybe it's because I just got Agnes spayed so her incision is so fresh in my mind but I'm not kidding, your buns looks really bad :( you can hardly even see Agnes's. I would seriously consider another vet. That just looks like an infection waiting to happen. And how is it suppose to heal with it open like that?

So sorry this happened. Keep us updated and best of luck to your bun!

Poor baby, that looks horrible. My vet also uses glue for girls as well, but just for the skin. She puts real stiches under the surface to pull everything else together, then glues the skin to keep them from licking the stitches. Both of my girls just had a little pink line, no blood. Becky jumped up on the bed the day after (bad momma for letting her out) and had a couple drops of blood, but wasn't that bad.

I hope you were able to get her help and there wasn't more internal bleeding :pray:

Latest posts

Back