In serious need of a computer tech

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Last night some how my computer decided to unregister my legal copy of windows vista. Ok no serious issue that can't be fixed.
Well I leave for the day and leave my laptop with my sister who knows a little bit about computers.
When my laptop loads up not to Vista but to some White screen with Red letters that says ERROR and on the top it says can not open file c:\RECOVERY.DAT
can anyone tell me what the heck happened to my laptop

You can try a system restore.
Go the Accessories then System Tools then System Restore. You should then be able to go back to a date when your computer worked. I don't know if it works with Vista, but it is worth a try. You could also google how to do it on vista.

I would take it in for a check up.

Yikes missing rcovery disk means you're possibly outta luck on your own, esp the first disk. Right now based on the excellent forum link above, it sounds like one of the popular reasons for your error is a corrupted master boot record and the way others fixed it was by running the repair on bootsect.exe that is on their recovery disk. There may be other ways if you search online to download something that'll fix the MBR besides using a recovery disk native to Asus. There may be a recovery disk you can download and burn yourself.

One big reason i bought an asus laptop myself is for their 3 year global warranty. Ought to take advantage of that!

virus killed your harddrive....hatgs what it kinda sounds like.
try a reboot...its all you can try, if it doesnt work then your gonna have to take it in

If you have your windows vista disk put it in.
When you turn on your computer hit F8 and see if you can get into a the screen that says safe mode boot. Once that screen comes up there should be an Advanced option you can choose from. Open that up and select Boot from disk.

Follow these steps :
1.Boot from Windows 7 installation disc.
2.Select Language and Next.
3.Choose "Repair Your Computer".
4.Choose the problem windows and click Next.
5.Now, choose "Command Prompt".
When the command prompt window is opened, type "bootsect /nt60 ALL /mbr". This will update the mbr of the hd.
When done, restart the computer.

You have to burn the recovery disks yourself when you get the laptop. There's usually a prompt that comes up reminding you to burn the disks.

Hope you can get yours fixed! I just got a new one last week, but it was defective, so waiting on the replacement.

pamnock wrote:
You have to burn the recovery disks yourself when you get the laptop. There's usually a prompt that comes up reminding you to burn the disks.
Yep, always, always, ALWAYS do this before you do anything. Like before you set up your wifi and internet because guaranteed -- if you start surfing the web you will forget to do this later. It takes like an hour but it's a must.

If you take the laptop to like Geek Squad or something... maybe they can help fix your MBR, if that is in fact your problem.

But seriously, do a google search on fixing MBR. There's probably stuff you can download on a USB drive or burn on a CD with a different computer, and then load it up to use it on your broken one. No windows required, the program runs off the external media.

kirbyultra wrote:
Yep, always, always, ALWAYS do this before you do anything. Like before you set up your wifi and internet because guaranteed -- if you start surfing the web you will forget to do this later. It takes like an hour but it's a must.
So true - UPS just dropped off our new laptop - I'm taking right down to the computer shop to have them do the recovery disks, install spyware and any other things they feel appropriate ;)

Latest posts

Back