In need of advice. What would you do if you where me?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OK so as some of you know I made a complaint to animal control about some rabbits at a feed store who were in terrible shape with no food or water. That was last week, today I called A.C to find out what happened with the bunnies. The officer told me that they had not gotten around to it yet! I was so mad! So I went back to the store today and two of the three rabbits were still there. Along with three new ones stuffed into a single cage. So I am thinking that tomorrow morning I might go down and buy the lop and take it to animal control and stick it right under there noses. If they won't visit the mess themselves I might as well bring the mess to them. But then I will end up with another bunny, a bunny that might be very sick and is under weight and just SAD. Of course Fraggles hates other bunnies. So I wanna know what you would do? This is the rabbit I am thinking of buying. Don't know what kind of lop he is.
TG9wLmpwZw.jpg

Oh no! Poor babies! Logically I know that giving the feed store money for mistreating rabbits isn't the thing to do because it rewards them, but that rabbit looks like the identical twin of my Rory. Seriously, it looks like a picture of him looking sad, I'm amazed. Wrong or not, I would not be able to leave him at the feed store. You should probably disregard my opinion though.

Take photos. Go to your local newspaper. I wouldn't buy the bunny, if you really don't think Fraggles will bond to him; I personally found it really hard having two un-bonded bunnies. I would drag this thing out into the public; I forget where it was, it may even have been this forum, but someone did that once. It really got results, because the one thing both the shop and animal control will hate is bad publicity. Go back to that shop, and take more pics of the filth, etc.

I would buy the bunny:inlove:. Gosh I have 2 single bunnies an 1 bonded pair. It's a little extra work but so rewarding when the bunnies give me kisses or flop at my feet.

Susan:)

I know how many feel about getting a bunny from a pet store... Me? I right now wouldn't I am full but I have two bunnies from pet stores before I knew better and two after. I wouldn't change that and I won't say I wouldn't do it again. Mind ya one of them has cost us a few thousand dollars most of that in the first two years.

Thanks for the advice. I am very torn :sigh: I DON'T want to give these creeps a cent. But I DON'T wanna leave this lop either. But if I take him how do I not take the red mini rex that's also there. Both rabbits are intact bucks. Plus now there are three more! I can't keep two intact bucks together any I can't keep any of them with Fraggles. I can keep one in our bedroom in the large animal carrier. I just feel so bad for all of them.

Have you spoken to the workers or owner of the store about it? Is it possible they might be getting fed after hours? They, of all places, have no excuse for not having the feed to give them. If you've handled them and know them to be underweight and have doubts they're being cared for, then I'dbug Animal Control to death until they check it out! There's always the newspaper, too.

Yes I did ask an employee about it and he said they could not have any hay cause it makes a mess. He said he would "see" about some pellets. Also I have handled them and they are very bony. There is no excuse for no water bottle. Even if they where given food after hours. This rabbit has nothing, not even a water bottle.

Honestly, I would just go ape. I cant stand to see animals in a state of neglect- it completely burns me! But, even withthat being said, I would definetly think twice about bringing any of these buns home with you... not unless you plan on isolating them from Fraggles. You dont know anything atall about these rabbits and they are clearly "sickly"... it would be a total tragedy if you took one of them in and they transfered an illness to Fraggles.
I know you want to help these buns... do you have a local House Rabbit Society near you? If so, I would contact them and if see if they can rescue these poor rabbits.

That's the part that really kills me is I do not want to expose Fraggles to any illness. These rabbit most likely have ear mites and health problems. I would be horrified if Fraggles ended up sick. I think I need to call the A.C back tomorrow and throw a bigger fit. Sadly I don't think there is a house rabbit society here. There is rabbit haven but she is full and there is NARN "northwest animal rights network" I could give them a call.

If you buy them though then they will just get more and treat them exactly the same. Call AC again now and you might also want to call the newspaper and tell them not only about the pet store but also that AC isn't doing its job. How many days ago did you first call them?

This situation is a bit more complicated than it might seem to be at first.

You have two things to deal with right now
  • The bunnies themselves - getting them help
  • The "store" and getting it so they can't have rabbits there to sell.
Buying the bunnies does help them get out of there - but there also needs to be a follow-up of getting this store so it can't have rabbit again.

As far as Fraggles goes - I would think if you kept these bunnies in a different room - you wouldn't have to worry.

Ear mites? Oh wow - that's a treatment or two of ivermectin - not that expensive. Well - maybe expensive - I buy the LIQUID ivermectin so I can measure out the exact amount I want. That's around $40....

Here is what I would do....I'd go in there with one or two other people (to distract the employees)....and have them talking to them in another area of the store about something else...

...and take a camera and photograph as much as you can - the cages - the empty food bowls (if they have any) - the lack of water bottles - etc. If you can - photograph the rabbits themselves with your hand on them (maybe have one person help you with that).

Then take the photos to animal control - or to the newspaper or somewhere that will help you get attention to the situation. I'd even be posting warnings on Craigslist or something "Bunnies not getting fed at ...." - I don't know what else to say.

Of course if it were me - I'd be getting those rabbits also and getting them healthy and stuff.

Unfortunately - while I do have cage space - I'm way down here in Texas and we'd be looking at $250 or more to ship the rabbits to me - or else I'd offer to help out and then get them homes at rabbit shows.

Which is where I'd try to get them homes if I were you - at rabbit shows. People there are looking for rabbits and often would be thrilled to have a free or not-so-expensive pet rabbit for themselves.

I once rehomed the sweetest mini lop buck that I adored .... for free. I was debating on rehoming him and this gal's 4H leader came up to me and asked how much he was. Turns out the gal had spent all of her money on getting a cage, toys, etc. and had no money to buy the actual rabbit.

You should have seen her face - that rabbit might have gone "Free" to a home - but I know he had a great home....

Just some thoughts..

I agree with Peg, distract and get lots of pictures. Once you have pictures it might spur the humane society to deal with it. If they don't go to the press.

It hurts me to say this, but for now I think the bunnies need to stay or they will just be replaced. I wouldn't give the HS more than two days to deal with it before taking the next step. Without water these poor bunnies are on borrowed time. :pray:

Be a thorn in the side of the AC, the Humane Society and all the rest. Take your pictures to the newspapers and even try calling any other News media--radio and television. We even sent a letter, registered to one shelter asking them to comply with state law or we'd sue them.

Latest posts

Back