Impulse Buys

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaded Night Rabbitry

Reaction score
How many of you come home from shows with impulse buys?

This is two for me, within two months. XD One per show, really. It's starting to get stupid, to be honest. I mean, I raise shaded netherland dwarfs. I have one himi that I'm trying to get rid of. So I bought a black brood doe? Really, Megan? And a brood buck. I baaarely got him under 2 1/2 pounds for the show today. He did beat out the other himis... But I can't keep him at that weight; it's not healthy. (He's a BIG boy... XD)

But she's got this head... And HUGE eyes. And decent ears. Unfortunately, she won't sit period, so I can't tell anything about her general type... But eh.

I'm going to end up with blacks with waaay too many stray white hairs. Perhaps I'll get a litter or two out of her, and get blacks that carry the recessive non extension thingy, for my sable points.

Or I'll use my friend's Chinchilla. Only problem is that she don't know where the pedigree is.

Oh. Wow. I just realized... Only two rabbits out of six bought were planned.

XD What's worse is all of the unplanned buys are better then one of the planned ones. Gooo newbie mistakes!

I would probably come home with impulse buys if there were more REW Mini Rex out there. lol.

Although we did almost come home with an AFL one time...big shocker? It was my mom's idea...:p We ended up giving him back to the breeder. I don't like the thought of dealing with fuzzies and woolies in the extreme heat, I worry enough about my regular-furred bunnies. He was a cutie-pie though.

Emily

we used to make a game out of it, who could not come home wiht more bunnies than they left with- or rather who came home with the least amount of *extra* bunnies. I think i've managed one show to not come home with extras but that was two weeks before i moved from NY to KY.

Well show 1 I went with total of 2 came home with total of 5.The last show I was happy with I went with total of 5 sold 1 and came home with total of 6.

When I went to the state show - I didn't plan to buy holland lops. I had been thinking off and on about adding a smaller breed (but not lionheads) to my rabbitry. However, I was halfway hoping to find an e-lop as a pet.

But then I met the holland lop breeders and was telling them about my fears about stuck kits, etc and they really helped me a lot. I found I was LIKING the breeders (something that was a good feeling after my prior experiences) and I felt like they would be helpful to me.

So I came home with a trio of hollands - and no e-lop.

Last weekend, I went to the show partly with the idea of getting another holland doe so that I could breed THREE does at one time. After two judges recommended I not use the buck I had for breeding - I wound up coming home with an proven holland lop doe, another holland lop buck - and a 5 year old polish doe that was in the raffle. She just looked so sad and lonely and something inside her called out to me. I had also been looking at Polish at the state show and thought they were interesting.

Her name is Angel and she has brought such joy to my life in just a week. I have so much fun with her...and she seems really happy here.

In the past I've brought home a nethie doe that needed a home, a mini-lop, a french lop and I forget what all else that were non-showable and needed homes. Usually I wound up rehoming them at another show...but Angel is definitely staying here.

The rabbits on the raffle tables are what really tempt me. At the state show there was a pair of grey dutch on the raffle table. The buck was a grand champion. It took me forever to talk myself out of trying to get them! :)

Emily

Juliette, my English Spot, was an impulse buy. She stuck her head out of her carrier as her owner was moving things around and I swear she gave me "the look" of "Aren't I just the cutest thing ever?!"

She still is adorable... she carts her stuffed red pepper toy all around and loves when I fill the veggie ball with parsley, dandelion leaves, and timothy grass because she can pull the greens out and that makes the bell ring.

I love Thriantas too but luckily I am out of caage space except for the upcoming Holland litters and an upcoming CG litter... the rule for me is don't go to a show with empty holes in the carriers. Rabbits find a way to fill those holes real fast!!!! :)

Denise

Shaded Night-

Black x sable point is a fine cross. It shouldn't give you excessive scattered whites unless the black has or throws them anyway. I've done several black x sable point crosses and gotten perfectly clean kits.:)

Julie: What colors came out of the breeding? I'm mostly just interested in the genetics.

Denise: I do the same thing, not having extra holes. The only problem is there's always a vendor there! And I can't stop myself from buying another two or hour hole carrier to bring more animals home. XD

Shaded Night Rabbitry wrote:
Julie: What colors came out of the breeding? I'm mostly just interested in the genetics.
It depends what the black carries. Most likely, you will just get black or tort.

If the black carries shaded, you could end up with shaded varieties (sable point, siamese sable).

And if both parents carry dilute, you could end up with the dilutes of all those- blue, blue tort, blue point, smoke pearl, etc.

A lot of possibilities, it just depends what their genetics carry.:)

I've just realised my gorgeous Rory was an impulse buy! :O Saw him at the show, cuddled him, talked to his breeder, fell in love, had to give up one of my other pets (who now lives with a friend who he prefers anyway lol) and now he's mine :) I wouldn't change him for anything, to be honest I don't think I would ever find a rabbit like him if I was looking, he was fate

I was bad when I first started showing I would come home with something new every time! Now I've been much better and have resisted a couple urges.

If I come across an english angora that is priced nice I know I won't resist that!

Silver Star Rabbitry wrote:
The rabbits on the raffle tables are what really tempt me. At the state show there was a pair of grey dutch on the raffle table. The buck was a grand champion. It took me forever to talk myself out of trying to get them! :)

Emily

I probably would of walked away with those two. :p I love Dutch, but a GC Dutch is too boot! :p

Emily

Latest posts

Back