Improving rabbits digestion

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunnys_rule63

Reaction score
Hey guys.:wave:

As some of you may know I am pet sitting my old foster guy, Ben, for 2 weeks. I am so pleased to see him again, but I have some things to sort out with him.:?

I have noticed that his eating/toilet habits are very different to Millie's (who I swear sets the record for the most amount of rabbit poo produced in 24 hours:p). When I put his meals in he doesn't eat them straight away and is especially bad with eating salads and hay. Being a typical boy he is pretty lazy and prefers to snack on junk food.;) (My mum was on bunny duty while I was away on holidaythis weekend and Ben stopped eating in that time and the only thing she could get him to eat was blueberries.:rollseyes)

So my question is this - I want to put him on a bunny 'detox':pbut I'm not sure of exactly how to go about it. Ideally I'd like to take him off his pellets all together for a few days and cut back his salads a bit to encourage him to eat more hay, would this be ok health wise? He hardly eats any hay so I really need to get him to eat more to get his guts working better, and then hopefully from then I could adjust his diet so that he eats more hay/greens and less pellets. I do worry in the long term thatif we don't get thissorted out he maysuffer with statis, and Idolove this little guy a lot.:?He is also a bit chubby so this should help him loose weight as well. I have 2 weeks with him - so I'm turning this holiday into a bunny fat camp for him.:pPoor Ben.;)

Thanks in advance for your help guys.:)

What a shame poor guy. I would wean him down his pellets not cut them out completely. If i need to bunny diet one of mine then i cut the pellets quite dramatically but tend to keep giving veg and loads of hay. I also give cider vinegar in their water and showed a link to the health benefits on another thread in this forum.

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=34684&forum_id=48 thats the link.

I have used it since december and all the buns love it in the water. I mix up a litre bottle with about 2 mls of the cider vinegar in it but it helps with improving digestion etc. the link in the post is well worth a look:)

Hope some of that is helpful:)good luck and let us know how you get on

Latest posts

Back