I'm TERRIFIED of my new rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gizmo14

Reaction score
He's so loving and kind when he's relaxed but becomes vicious when I try to touch him or interact with him. He's nipped me multiple time (which might I say hurts very bad) and I have no idea what to do. I can't ever get him back in his cage once I let him out but I don't think it's okay to not let him out. PLEASE HELP?! He terrifies me and I don't want to make the situation worse!!

He is two, not fixed, and I found him on Craigslist from a home where they didn't take the best of care of him as far as I can tell.

Get him neutered. Next, stop letting him train you--you need to train him. Not easy or ouchless but it needs to be done or neither of you will truly be happy. Study up on rabbit behavior so that you'll be able to let him know your the ALPHA and don't let him bite you without the act having a consequence or you're just letting him know he gets his way when he does that! Very bad precedent to set. You need to set the ground rules as none of his previous caretakers did. It will take time and persistence but life will be easier and the reward is you'll end up with a little pest that will want your attention and that is absolutely the greatest reward. I've found the easiest way to put our buns up when their time out is over--we have a cardboard apple box, the kind that has a nesting top and bottom--I cut a hole at both ends and put a litter box full of shredded newspaper in it. It gives them a place to hang out and play in and when it's time to go up they are trained to go inside so I can pick it up and put one of the holes at their hutch door so they can egress into their hutch. A couple I still have to herd to the box while the other 4 will head right into the box when I step over the barricade.

While the neuter will help some, the main problem lies in the previous owner. Too often, rabbits are left alone in a corner of a room after the "honeymoon phase" wears off, making the rabbit revert to a somewhat wild state. Sit close to your rabbit, whether he's in the cage or not. Feed occasional treats by hand so he knows you mean no harm. It WILL take time. Talk to him, sing to him, read to him, whatever interaction you can. My bun is a 5 year old male, and is not neutered. He was not too used to being out of his cage and handled when I forst got him in November. Now he can't get enough. Don't give up, and don't be scared..... rabbits can pick up on that.

As for getting him back in his cage, I use Craisins. I shake the bag, and let him smell what I am offering. Then I hold a Craisin in his cage until he hops in. Feed him, and close the cage. Start by feeding him a few outside of his cage so he knows the smell and taste, then begin to use it as a bribe.

Last edited:
My bunny, Shirley, used to be scary too. When I first got her, she would nip me a lot. However, she's come to trust me a lot more. When she nipped me, I would hold her head down with my hand and make an (involuntary) noise of pain. Someone else on this forum, I don't remember who, told me that. It has worked really well so far.

Latest posts

Back