Im sooooo Angry

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krissa

Reaction score
I went to a fair this weekend in Williamsburg,Ohio because my family was going to go. The rides wererickey, and the whole place didnt look too well kept, I didnt ride therides. Then I came to the games area, and as I expected was the boothwhere you throw the ping pong ball into the bowl to win a gold fish.Only . . . you didnt win gold fish, you won a babybunny!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:I was soooo angry! There in the pen were15 baby rabbits crouched in a corner trying to hide from the kidspetting them. One looked just like my girl Merry.

I told the man running the game how I felt and then we left the fair. Ijust couldn't stay there anymore, I was so angry. I wish I couldremeber the company running the fair because I would write them a nastyletter.

Thanks for listening to me vent there, I'm still angry about it.

I think that's actually illegal in someareas! Check your city or state laws. There mightbe something that can help.

Poor little buns. What a way to start!

How cruel to the bunnies and families that justthink these bunnies just want to be cuddled and loved. What arude awakening for both. I am sure those bunnies don't want to bepicked up and carried home, or stuck in those inhumane conditions orlive in the small cage in the hot fair. Kinda off the subject but I sawthe sheet petco provides to tell you how to care for your newbunny(very slim on facts) but even that is better than what these poorguys are getting. :mad:

Why do these places insist on giving away live animals. ugh. They wouldnever think of givng away puppies, why rabbits. It kills me that petstores are allowed to have such poor living conditions for thesefragile animals. Ok I better stop now or I never will. Hopefully youwill be able to contact someone about this issue. The aspca websitetells you your state laws.

our festival used to have that every year...itwas so sad..but they didnt do baby bunnies..only adults... we almosttook one home one year, but we didnt..

Oh ny god! I had no idea they would do somethinglike that. I get annoyed enough when I see them giving awaygoldfish because it is inhumane. I never would have thoughtanyone could be so thick as to give an animal like a rabbit away as aprize. I don't think that would even be legal here.

Let us know if you find the name of the company and they can get several letters!

naturestee wrote:
I think that's actually illegal in some areas!Check your city or state laws. There might be something thatcan help.
I never thought of that (silly me), its mosly a farming areaso there probally isn't any,but I'll check into it.

Ha ha, I found an email address:nasty. Thisshould contact the mayor, Mary Ann Lefker[email protected]

I'm going to state in my letterthat rabbits should not begiven as prizes at fairs, that the atmosphere at the fair scares ayoung rabbit and may kill it and that owning a rabbit is a hugecommitment, not something to be won. The rabbits werenotgiven any way to hide from the children trying to pet themand that is cruel. Any other ideas? I didn't really notice how muchwater they had (I was just too mad). I'm not going to go intospecifics, just that rabbits should not be fair prizes and that I donot intend to return to any of their events.

For anyone else who wants to write the fair took place June 2-4 and was called The Olde Williamsburgh Festival.

Do your local shelters take rabbits?Point out that many of these rabbits may end up neglected and ignoredbecause the parents never wanted these animals, the child one them sothey kept them, and that these rabbits would be more likely to end upabandoned in a shelter, further burdening an already overtaxed system(at least, most shelters are overtaxed).

Use the House Rabbit Society and HSUS as references. You could send the same letter to your newspaper, too.

That's absolutely appalling! Inexcusable.Ibelieve that here in the UK, it is no longer legal to award goldfish asprizes at fairs. Giving any living being as a prize gives entirely thewrong message about the resposibilities of pet ownership.Good luck withyour email and well done for speaking outxx

naturestee wrote:
Do your local shelters take rabbits? Point outthat many of these rabbits may end up neglected and ignored because theparents never wanted these animals, the child one them so they keptthem, and that these rabbits would be more likely to end up abandonedin a shelter, further burdening an already overtaxed system (at least,most shelters are overtaxed).

Use the House Rabbit Society and HSUS as references. You could send the same letter to your newspaper, too.
Keep the ideas coming, I'll wait until the end of the day to send off a letter so I don't miss any contributions. :D

Unfortunately, it is not illegal in Ohio to give animals away as prizes.

I live in Pennsylvania, where it is illegal (excerpt below).Contact your state legislator for information on how to begin theprocess changing the law in your state.

section 5511.1 live animals as prizes prohibited

(a) General rule. No person shall give or offer togive away any live animal, except fish as a prize in any drawing comma,lottery. contest, sweepstakes or any other game. No person operatingany drawing, lottery, contest, sweepstake or other game shall sell oroffer to sell any live animal, except fish comma in conjunction withthee operation of a drawing, lottery, contest, sweepstakes or othergame.

(b) exception.

(1) This section shall not apply to any domestic animal give away orsold in connection with any agricultural, education or vocationalprogram sponsored or sanction by the Department of Agriculture***

pamnock wrote:
Unfortunately, it is not illegal in Ohio to give animals away as prizes.

Grrr, they are still gonna get a letter (a well written civil one)about teaching responsability to children and overcrowding of animalshelters. I've noticed that Ohio doesn't have many laws regardinganimal ownership, its even legal to own Big Cats like tigers in Ohio:shock:

Although it may not be illegal in Ohio, enoughletters may convince the fair to discontinue the practice of allowingrabbits to be used as prizes.

Many people were upset witha vendor who was selling veryyoung bunnies at the Ohio State Rabbit Convention one year.Although there is no legal sales age on bunnies in Ohio, enoughcomplaints were generated to forbid the sales of rabbits from any ofthe booths in future years.

Pam

Idiots! There's a HUGE difference in care andclean up between a fishy and a bunny. Most of those "prizes" are goingto end up at the shelter or tossed out the door. Anything for buck huh?

Oh also, on a horrific bus ride from FL to WA tosee my mother (oooh I shudder to recall that trip lol) I met some"carnies" on the bus. We chatted quite a bit. It's my understandingthat most county fairs hire a carnival company that travels around andsets up in various states/counties for their fairs. You should get thename of the company they hired. I'm sure that wasn't a local company.

Krissa, you may want to contact Herta Rodina atthe Buckeye House Rabbit Society. HRS has a campaign going toget this practice stopped. Herta will able to supply you withthe names and addresses you need, as well as sample letters.

You can e-mail her at [email protected]or check out the other contact info at the websitehttp://www.ohare.org.

Check the newsletters that are there. Fall 2003, one of thenewsletters featured information on theserabbit give-aways which areunfortunately common in Ohio. If you go to the Buckeye HRSweb site, click on 'Harelines' the newsletter. Then you canread the articles about carnival bunnies on page and on page9. There is a lot of information given on how to help stopthe practice in our state.

I have always believed that 2 of my rabbits, Ali and Presley, who werefound dumped in Parma last summer, came from one of thesefairs. They were rescued by my friend who rus a cat shelter.

Latest posts

Back