I'm so afraid if I loose Buffy (RIP)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sha10ly88

Reaction score
I know I haven't been here much. I have been busy. Can't really explain how busy I have been. I couldnt sleep thinking of what the doctor have said about Buffy's condition. Honestly I am so disturbed over the fact that I will loose him one day. He is still a baby to me. I really love him.

The latest vet that I brought Buffy to was not the same vet that I brought him at first. In fact, I wished I had brought buffy to the second vet if I had known him earlier n had not gone to the first vet. Gosh .... my words are all over the place. I dont even know what I am talking about.

If only I had been there to take care of him. Its just so sad to know that he only enjoyed using his feet for less than 3 weeks of his life. I wish there is more that I could do. The doctor said that because Buffy is still growing, his front left leg which he use to push himself forward had grown backward. Hhhh ... I dont even know how to explain. Practically, Buffy is left with just one good front leg. After the consultation, the doctor did not charge me a single penny. He felt that he didn't do much that could help Buffy and there is nothing more that he can do.

I write this post just to let go what I feel. If there is any useful advice, I would definitely take it. Otherwise ... I dont know. I dont know if I should give up on Buffy. :cry2

Will always love you Buffy ....

Hi Sha

I just went back to the original thread torefresh my memeory re. Buffy's condition. Before you make a decision about her think of the 3 A"s

Appetite; Does she still enjoy eating her food and treats
Activity: Whatever activity she does have does she seems comfortable and painfree or does she appear depressed and in pain

Affection: Does she still enjoy snuggling with her mate and with you...

If she is not presently on pain meds that may help her
Also what is the condition of her skin ?
Does she appear to getany thing out of her life or does she appear to be "just alive"?

This is a very sad situation; I know that you love her a lot :(

Hey Angie

I was waiting for the first person to reply my post hoping that the first reply can put me at ease n go to sleep. Its already 2am here by the way.

Buffy did ace for all the 3 A's. He is not under any sort of medication at all. Even the doctor didnt prescribe any meds for him when we went for the visit last week. Actually... he still enjoys being around his brother. But I seperated them immediately when I saw his brother nudging Buffy's head aggressively. With me, he seemed totally fine. Sometimes he licks me and other times he does bite me.

Buffy's skin around the butt area is always kept clean. I didnt want him to develop any rash. In fact, I think its easier for me to keep him clean after the fur came off itself. I've always tried to position him in the most comfortable way n always keep the surface he is on clean.

What more can I do for him?

I did the physio therapy with him. Due to the renovation in my house, its been hard to spend time with him. So I normally do it at night.

Buffy is not 'just alive'. He has always been active. Whenever I peek into his space, he will always look up at me. If I put my finger near him, he will nudge my finger with his nose, or lick or sometimes give me little bites. When he smells food, he will push himself up like as if he is trying to stand but just couldnt. Then I will feed him some. Everytime its his feeding time, I would sit with him n support his chest till he finish eating n then help him drink.

It is really a difficult situation for him. I have never lost hope on him. Not till that day -- after the visit to the vet. Even the doctor looks like he is giving up. That makes me even more sad. :(

You don't have to pay attention to the vet's reaction ; they often will want to PTS a bun that cannot improve ; they often judge by different standards

They don't often assess that the animal can have quality of life if he is not physically perfect.
Ithink that you can pm TreasuredFriend (Julie) who is very nice and is an expert at caring for disabled buns.

Iwill give you some links from the library to help; I have never had a bun totally disabled but did have one partially disabled. My concern with her was skin breakdown.

Buffy sounds as if he is happy despite his problems which seems to me is a reason to keep him going.
We will help you with him as much as we can :)

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12158&forum_id=10

Buffy's situation is very difficult, but it does sound to me like he is enjoying life. That is the main goal, to keep him happy and as healthy as possible, and if that can't happen anymore, it may be time to say goodbye. I have not had to deal with this at all, so angieluv and TreasuredFriend will have much better advice on this than me, but I think it will become clear when he no longer wants to be alive, when living becomes too much of a burden for him. He sounds alert, happy, and enjoying the good things in his life. Eventually the discomfort from his paralysis may be more powerful than the enjoyment he gets out of life.

I can understand that this is very difficult on you, and you may need help from others who have taken care of very disabled bunnies. Have you joined the Yahoo disabled rabbits group? I think advice from people who have been there, like those people, and of course TreasuredFriend, will be invaluable to you.

As long as you can provide him with comfort, love, and food that he enjoys, it makes sense to me that living with you is better for him than being PTS.

[[hugs]]

Thanks a lot for all the support. I am trying my best to be by him 24/7. Sometimes I would go out and check on him late at night in case he accidentally turned over. Despite his condition, Buffy is really active. That made me feel so proud of him.

This morning, while I was cleaning Buffy I saw a little reddish part around his butt. It doenst look severe to me. Maybe it is the pressure. Of course I didn't want Buffy to develop the sores. I mean I didnt want him to even start developing little teeny weeny ones. So I took him and hold him for hours on his other side. He actually fell asleep on my palm. And I could see the reddish thing on his butt becoming less obvious. What would you suggest me to do if it happens again? I will contact Julie :) Thank you again Angie.

Can I know what is PTS?

Hi Tony

Thanks to u too. To be honest, I really felt a great relief after I get to share Buffy's condition in here. If Buffy could speak I think he would say "This forum rocks!"

I am keeping Buffy as healthy as possible. I fed him enough. I don't want him overweight. And his urine is fine. I mean its ermm dilute.( Is that how I am suppose to describe)

I am always trying to do my best to keep Buffy happy. In fact I still hope that he can recover fully. That way ... I will always take good care of him no matter how little time I have with him.

This is a picture I took earlier today. I wanted to take a picture of him sleeping but my clumsiness woke him. Or maybe its just impossible to take a picture of a rabbit sleeping.

DSC07852.jpg

sha10ly88 wrote:
Thanks a lot for all the support. I am trying my best to be by him 24/7. Sometimes I would go out and check on him late at night in case he accidentally turned over. Despite his condition, Buffy is really active. That made me feel so proud of him.

This morning, while I was cleaning Buffy I saw a little reddish part around his butt. It doenst look severe to me. Maybe it is the pressure. Of course I didn't want Buffy to develop the sores. I mean I didnt want him to even start developing little teeny weeny ones. So I took him and hold him for hours on his other side. He actually fell asleep on my palm. And I could see the reddish thing on his butt becoming less obvious. What would you suggest me to do if it happens again? I will contact Julie :) Thank you again Angie.

Can I know what is PTS?

PTS means put to sleep or euthanized without pain

I think that you could get some bag balm and put it on the sore; I would contact Julie because she has way more experience than I do with every aspect of care.

You're great bunny mom; Buffy is lucky!!

sha10ly88 wrote:
This is a picture I took earlier today. I wanted to take a picture of him sleeping but my clumsiness woke him. Or maybe its just impossible to take a picture of a rabbit sleeping.

DSC07852.jpg
Buffy is so sweet; what a lovely bunny

Heres more shots on Buffy. I need to know if the way Buffy position himself is normal or not.

DSC07855.jpg

DSC07856.jpg

N this is Buffy grooming himself.

DSC07854.jpg

By the way Angie, I have messaged Julie. Thank u for reminding me of her. [hugs]

for RO mods angieluv and tonyshuman. :hug:

"... Will always Love you Buffy", T, brought smiles and tears. Absolutely, every quality of life day with less-fortunate Buffy will show him you dearly care!

:sunshine::inlove:

He's adorable by the way. As Tiny's Mom, Leaf, JadeIcing know, watch Buffy for the 3 A's. Appetite, attitude, and affection.

His back end resembles the muscle wasting that Karla has experienced in the last year or more. Not moving the muscles causing muscle wasting. His belly looks a bit large, again, this is not uncommon in what I'm seeing in Karla for being fed her rationed pellets and greens/veggies. In the last photo looks like Buffy's ready to tackle cecotrope reingestion to get his squishy vitamin input. Go Buffy.

Stiffened legs from non-use is also normal.

The adorable Buffy picture is heartwarming, despite his unusual form.

With Karla, and other disabled buns I am told, they will find the position that is most comfortable for them even though it looks odd to us humans.

Yes, that position looks fine comparing him to the positions that Karla assumes.

You have a great human caretaking personality. Indeed, the love you show him will never fade away.

Red sores and urine scald will greatly improve by keeping that butt area dry and clean. Silver sulfadiazine cream helps Karla in her butt area. Bag Balm could be more available for you. I gently wipe with tissue after a bladder expulsion or pee moment.

What Maureen says, vets often judge by different standards.

Shay-, I'm so glad you're not limiting yourself to a vet who may be less patient for Buffy or feel he's not worthy. Vets and their opinions, treatment, can vary...

Please Give Buffy some kisses and strokes!, PM comin' over.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Personal experience with disabled buns: I brought Karla to the University of Wisconsin Vet School for a consult (referred by Karla's primary vet) a couple years ago. They have done great things for Cara's rabbits and I hold them in high esteem. The vet who saw Karla told my husband and I, ... not many people would care for a rabbit like Karla...

You excel in all you're doing for Buffy. ~ Have hope T!! Buffy will let you know, when or if he loses his desire to be in his disabled form.

We contemplated a euth' call last December for Karla, but it was a combo of drugs (Gabapentin, Amantadine, Rimadyl... etc.) that she was receiving. We pulled the Rimadyl and the spark reappeared in her eyes!! She's on Metacam, and occasional Buprenex injections for pain management.

Oh thank god I know someone like you and many others here too. Without this forum, I could have been lost. I will try get the balm. I am not sure where I can get the bag balm but I will definitely search for it. Is it harmful if Buffy licks it?

Reading your post and how you handle ur bunnies really inspire me. It made me wonder why it seems hard to have a great doctor for Buffy here. Eversince Buffy had this condition he had never been given any injections or combo of drugs. He only had vitamin B becos he didnt poop or urine due to trauma and that was all.

Poor Buffy... :(

I have a disabled rabbit. Smitten recently became disabled. She is still lively and active. She and her partner cuddle and groom each other. He does the places she can't reach. I make sure she iskept clean and keep her pen clean as well. Smit has one side she likes to lay on so I do have make sure that there is no skin breakdown.I bought apooch padfor her to lay on.I've usedrugs and blankets but she reallyher poochie as I call. I bought two, one for her lay on and the other is usually in the wash. I use neosporin and baby diaper rash creme for her skin. I will also apply vitamin E. It is a labor of love.

Have you contacted the Singapore HRS? They might be able to help.

I did quite the same things. Except for the Vitamin E. Could u tell me more about it? Buffy likes to lick. I did put some cream on his butt before but he could lift his butt up n lick the underside!! He is really strong to me. Such a fighter. For that I had to stop putting creams on him.

The recent vet that i went to was one of the recommended vets by HRS for rabbits. I have to admit that I am disappointed but I am not giving up especially that I have read alot other post made my other bunny lovers who were or still in my position. I am truly inspired by them n that has built my faith for Buffy.

pla725; Labor of Love. :bunnyhug: !

T, will share from my experience situations of recommended vets on a society list. More than my fingers can count, retold personal experiences from fellow bun owners will urge me to never recommend dr. so and so. Also another case of a vet in a different state, on a list. Personal phone feedback indicated "they"
couldn't wait to get out of the office. :shock: So you do need to rethink things on your own.
It's good that you're doing so! It's okay to admit disappointment from your personal encounters with a particular vet. Helps us all.

Gratefully RO has a network of disabled bun parents and members who can inspire, inform and share. Praises to RO for being that team, 24/7.

With regards to licking off creams, is there a way to apply the cream and lap hold Buffy for several minutes of beneficial soak-in time? Just like Buffy, disabled Karla consumes anything creamy or foreign on her skin.

Little strongman Buffy has that twinkle, happiness look in his face! You go, Mom T!

Great to hear Buffy has the enthusiasm and butt-lift boost.:sunshine:

Leaf, are you moderating on this thread? I thought T would be helped by experiences you had with your splay-legged kids? Short of time to find your handle for a PM.

Kathy krsbunny, are you lurking?

Thanks Treasured Friend for getting my attention. Sorry I've been "out of it" ... dealing with human family medical issues.

Ditto what others have said about the 3 A's ... and trusting your "gut" to know whether to follow a vet's advice. Doctors and vets trained only in Western Medicine have a natural (and understandable) inclination to want to "fix" things ... and many respond by suggesting euthanasia when they are unable to accomplish that. It is, indeed, a blessing that we have that option when our pets are truly suffering.

However, animals with "disabilities" have much to teach their humans if we are willing to listen and learn. A splay-legged rabbit named Ebony was part of my family for 5+ years. He was sweet, brave ... and completely unaware that he was "differently abled." By not being "socialized" to view such differences as things that need to be "fixed", we can learn important lessons that help us accept what "is" as simply that ... neither good nor bad, but simply what IS.

Relax and trust your love for Buffy to guide you to the choice that is best for both of you. Whether you have days, months, or years together ... it will be as it is meant to be.

Hugs to both of you.

Kathy Smith

PS Members of Singapore HRS may be able to guide you to local resources for the special care supplies you will need to keep Buffy comfortable. Burt's Bees products were recently recommended to me ... but don't know if they are available there.

Another issue with the vet's perception I'd like to point out is that they often try to see whether or not the animal has any quality of life. With a rabbit, this is impossible to tell when they are stressed at the vet. Often owner's will make excuses for their failing pets and the vet (because they're not emotionally attached) tries to distinguish whether the animal is actually suffering at home.

It's more easily done with dogs and cats.. rabbits are so quiet and hide their illness/disability so well, and don't openly display happiness in strange situations.. some vets just can't grasp how to judge them and may assume the worst.

When I had Felicia "Bunny" who was paralyzed in the rear and couldn't move around at all, I had people telling me she should be euthanized. Although I had her for only about a week, I could tell she wanted to live. She ate great, she enjoyed attention, she was aware of her surroundings.. she seemed to be a very happy bunny despite her serious issues. I could tell she was fighting and she wanted to live. It was clear to me. But when I worked at the vet if I saw a rabbit like that come in, I would assume it should be euthanized, too.. because I wouldn't SEE it's desire to live, I would see it as an animal who is not likely to recover and probably has a poor quality of life. That's not always true.. but that could easily be assumed when evaluating an animal that you don't know personally and don't see every day.

Suggestions:

-I don't think Buffy should be euthanized.
-I would consider a full support cart (wheelchair) and see if he adjusts to it. If anything, it would help with physical therapy and get him in a position for a few hours a day that will relieve the pressure of laying on his side.
-I would offer plenty of chew toys, bells, chew blocks.. objects with different textures and smells so that he won't get bored and will have plenty of mental stimulation. Perhaps a stuffed toy that he can snuggle with and groom.

Lastly.. I want to mention that my bun died likely due to a blood clot from the lack of mobility in her hind legs. I can't stress the importance of exercising the legs daily. I know that it was likely my bunny had the clot before I got her, as I exercised her legs and massaged her muscles 3 times daily.. but remember that lack of motion in the legs can cause blood clots which, if a piece breaks off or if the clot moves, can cause sudden death. So this is an important part of maintaining a paralyzed bunny.

Thanks to everyone here. Most of all ... thanks to Angie.

To me ... I totally dont have experience of animal doctors. I only think that animal doctors here are expert with dogs and cats only. I felt that they can never handle little pets like rabbits and hamsters. However, like I said I don't have experience with animal doctors. I did admit that at first I lost hope on Buffy too but it didnt come across my mind to put him to sleep. I only lost hope to see him running and hoping around again but I still want him to be well n live his life and be the happiest bunny... at least the happiest in Singapore.

This morning... I found Buffy turned over on his other side. I felt so guilty that I didnt check on him at night like I used to. I totally dozed off n didnt hear a single thing the whole night. It was Sunday and I had a long day indeed. So I turned him over to his original position and then Buffy started to get hyper. That was a good sign for me. I thought he could break a bone or something becos of struggling the whole night to get up. At least I am sure he did not struggle from 10pm to 6am in the morning. The last time I check him was at 3 or 4 am. However, I know that Buffy normally stays still when he cant turn back himself.

Angie, remember when u said that Buffy's tummy seemed buldging? I was wondering if I have not been observant enough. Does anyone else here see that too? Like I said I wanted to post a picture with a better angle of Buffy but the USB port of my laptop seemed to give me problem but I will get it posted here as soon as possible.

Also ... yesterday afternoon I discovered something like a bite at his paralysed foot. Its like Buffy had biten himself at the foot. However, it did not bleed. It just left that little part at one of the toes furless and red. So I bandaged that part. I didnt want him to bite on it over n over since I dont know why he did that. Then when I took the bandage off today I can see that theres fur growing already. Does buffy feel it when he bites his leg like that?

Thanks again everyone.... :group:

Latest posts

Back