Im new to registering rabbits and I have some questions.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flemishnooby

Reaction score
So I recently bought two full grown giant chinchillas, the male is named tucker and the female is named fiona. tucker has a tattoo in his ear does that mean he is registered? and if not how do i register them?

Best ask the breeder you've got them from.

As far as I know registering and stuff is not as rigid and well organized as with other animals, so you might want to know more details.I definitly have no clue about the situation in Peru, but I think getting in contact with local people engaged in breeding rabbits would be the best thing to do.

Last edited:
Tattoo in the left ear is just an ID tattoo from the breeder. It's needed for showing but it can be anything - it's just to tell rabbits apart. A tattoo in the right ear means they are registered - the tattoo has to be done by an ARBA licensed registrar after inspecting the rabbit and its pedigree, and the tattoo is either an R in a circle OR it is their registration #, which starts & ends with a letter with some numbers in between (like X123X). Some people & some county fairs will also tattoo in the right ear for their own purposes. The vast, vast majority of rabbits are not registered. You don't need to register them to show (all they need for showing is an ID tattoo in the left ear), and making pedigrees is something a breeder does on their own so most people only register a rabbit once/if that rabbit earns enough winnings to be grand championed. If you're still interested in getting your rabbits registered you can check out this link here: https://arba.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/HOW-TO-REGISTER-A-RABBIT-CAVY-.pdf

Tattoo in the left ear is just an ID tattoo from the breeder. It's needed for showing but it can be anything - it's just to tell rabbits apart. A tattoo in the right ear means they are registered - the tattoo has to be done by an ARBA licensed registrar after inspecting the rabbit and its pedigree, and the tattoo is either an R in a circle OR it is their registration #, which starts & ends with a letter with some numbers in between (like X123X). Some people & some county fairs will also tattoo in the right ear for their own purposes. The vast, vast majority of rabbits are not registered. You don't need to register them to show (all they need for showing is an ID tattoo in the left ear), and making pedigrees is something a breeder does on their own so most people only register a rabbit once/if that rabbit earns enough winnings to be grand championed. If you're still interested in getting your rabbits registered you can check out this link here: https://arba.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/HOW-TO-REGISTER-A-RABBIT-CAVY-.pdf
Can you look up the ID tattoo to see more info on that rabbit?

If the rabbit only has a tattoo in the left ear then most likely not. The only way you could get information on that rabbit is if you know the breeder who owned the rabbit or had the rabbit’s pedigree.

Latest posts

Back