I'm Moving

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cait

Reaction score
Hey all! I know I haven't been around on the forum for too long (or that active, but let me explain ;) ) but I wanted to let you all know I will be moving rather soon. I just found out Sunday. Now, for the past 4-5 months my mom has been talking about moving. But with my dad overseas, neither parent thought that it would work out. Due to recent happenings, my dad wants us out of the state of South Carolina and back with family in.... *winces* Iowa. And I'm not talking about in a few months. My dad wants us back in Iowa before school starts here (August 8th). Thats less than a month. In this month, I have to rehome a good chunk of my animals. Which as you can imagine, is not going over well. So far I have rehomed 3 hamsters (with 5 left to rehome, and that's with keeping 3), 11 mice (with I think 2-3 to rehome and keeping 20 does and 4-5 bucks). Left to rehome is my RES (who I have a canidate for), my 8 rats (which breaks my HEART as most were rescues and they don't deserve to be passed off to another home. But I have someone in mind to take them) and the 2-3 mice and 5 hamsters. I'm taking with me 3 hamsters (1 syrian, 2 Campbell's dwarves), all my doe mice, a few buck mice as they either have health issues or are favorites of mine, and THANKFULLY CiCi, my rabbit.

But that's not my biggest problem. *sigh* One of my sisters is attending college herein SC, so she will not be living with us. Which was expected, so thats not the major dissapointment. What IS is that my favorite sister doesn't want to move back to Iowa. At all. I understand WHY completely. The part our family lives in is very... em... non-diverse? I think thats how I want to put that. They just aren't ready for my sister, who is *thinks of proper terminology* bi-racial. (I think thats right. Its hard to word this politically correct, LOL.) I'm not sure how I feel about this... I mean I understand, but she'smy favorite. Its not going to be easy leaving her here. She has some family here; her grandmother lives in Charleston. I just... she's my best friend, its going to be too difficult leaving her behind. :(

On top of all that, I was also informed we were putting our 11 year old rottweiler, Jackson, to sleep Wendsday. He is not only old (for a purebred large breed dog), but he has athritis, can't control his bladder/bowel, and he has cancer. He isn't responding well to treatment, and my parents feel it is much fairer to him to let him go peacefully and not have him live in pain anymore. I agree, and think its far more humane that letting him suffer. I grew up with thisdog... I dont want him to go...I don't know how my other dog is going to react... She grew up with Jackson and has neverbeen apart from himsince she was 6 weeks old. My mom says that when we get settled in we can maybe go to an animal shelter in Des Moines and adopt another large breed dog. After Gertie goes (our other dog and also a Rott) she says she'll never have another Rottweiler, because she'll feel like she was replacing them. *sigh*

There are some positive things that will happen when we move. I'll be closer to my family (although the one person I care most about will not be there...). We will have our own house. I like that. My mom says I can start a rabbitry once we get settled. iI like that a lot, too. And I can get back into 4-H guilt free since I can always say my gramma made me, LOL. I'll be closer to the college I want to go to. Well that's about it. Wow, now that I practically listed all the pros and cons, this seems like a really bad idea. :X

I think its best not to dwell too much on it... Its going to happen whether I like it or not so I better buck up and get happy about it. Maybe I'll check to see if there are any good bunny breeders out the Iowa way.

Anyway!! So thats that, just thought I'd let you all know. Caitlin, I'll make sure to visit you now that you'll only be two hours away, LOL.

Thanks for listening to me ramble! Sometimes its good to get things off your chest...

Cait, I love your attitute! You really seem like an awesome person. :bouquet:

I hope all goes well for you in your new space, and that you and your sister find a lot of cheap weekend airfares. :bunnydance:

Good luck! :clover::hug2

sas :)and the gang of fur :bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance:

Thanks, Pipp. :) Thankfully they have internet in Iowa. (ha ha) :DSo I'll be able to keep in contact with folks and my sisters. Besides the phone, of course. :cool:

I'm really excited about the house part of it... Right now we live in a military apartment/unit complex. Lots of CLOSE neighbors, small rooms,and a small back yard. Yuck! The house they are looking at has 3 bedrooms (which is small, since there are 5 of us girls, but the two older ones don't live with us anymore and with my younger sister staying here, all we need is three bedrooms. It also has a nice yard and is not even a block away from my grandparents... I like that part a lot too. Almost all my life except that year we spent in Iowa because my dad had been stationed in Greece/Bosnia we have lived a long way away from family. Now we'll be close again, and all that good stuff. Yay!

See, optimism makes everything seem better. :)

Cait, I like your possitive attitude you are leaving. It is hard leaving a best friend behind. But hey maybe in summer times you can go and hang out with her for like a month or something.

That is a big move as well too. I am sorry for your lost with your rottie come weds.

I love rotties, my brother in law had one named Otis, They had to do the same thing, arthrits and he was only 8 yrs old.

Let us know when you get settled in.

Latest posts

Back