I’m frustrated

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katiecrna

Reaction score
I’m just vented to fellow bunny owners....

I am so frustrated with my bunny. I love her to death but she is so hard to take care of. She is free roam in her own room, 2 years old. She is so distrustful of everyone and it’s exhausting. Cutting her nails is so hard. I’ve tried every technique and I just can’t get her to calm down. Today I cut her wick and I feel terrible. She hates being brushed and I can’t keep up with it because she acts like I’m abusing her whenever I do it. Trust me... I am super gentle and she really is a spoiled rabbit but she is so difficult to properly take care of her...

I just want to take care of her but it’s so hard.

How much time do you spend with your bunny? And when you do spend time with her, what do you do together? It can be really hard to gain their trust when they are in their own room and don’t have that much time with you. Not saying that’s necessarily the case here :)
Some rabbits can just take a long time to earn trust and to come out of their shell, they all have different personalities. Is she spayed? My rabbit is so much nicer without all those hormones!
She sounds like quite the diva! I feel for you!

My rabbits won't let me cut their nails, so I have to take them into the vet for it. It's more expensive, but I don't want to manhandle them or force them; I don't have anyone to help, so it's easier to take them in every few months.

Mine never liked brushing much, but this year totally hop away if I even try. They'll let me pet them, though, and pull out loose fur while petting. I just roll with it... they're not entering a beauty pagent, so if they don't want brushing, I'll respect it and do what I can while petting.

So... yiou're not alone :)

How much time do you spend with your bunny? And when you do spend time with her, what do you do together? It can be really hard to gain their trust when they are in their own room and don’t have that much time with you. Not saying that’s necessarily the case here :)
Some rabbits can just take a long time to earn trust and to come out of their shell, they all have different personalities. Is she spayed? My rabbit is so much nicer without all those hormones!
She sounds like quite the diva! I feel for you!

I spent a lot of time with her. She is just a diva. My brother is also temporarily moved into her room and is always there with her and she hates him as well. She is spayed.

Some breeds are more independent. Sit on the floor and be a rabbit. Let her come to you and make sure that most of the time when you visit her it is for casual bonding time; not grooming. Some rabbits never take to the grooming. I’m sure she adores you at all other times. Also, when you play with her, try it in a neutral space. The room is now her domain. She will be protective. Neutral spaces can be a big help.

Some breeds are more independent. Sit on the floor and be a rabbit. Let her come to you and make sure that most of the time when you visit her it is for casual bonding time; not grooming. Some rabbits never take to the grooming. I’m sure she adores you at all other times. Also, when you play with her, try it in a neutral space. The room is now her domain. She will be protective. Neutral spaces can be a big help.

The problem is she doesn’t leave her spade without me picking her up and she hates that.

I have a diva boy, SAME way. Although, loves me very, very much any other time, will turn his back on anyone involved in trimming his nails. Our trick? An old t-shirt, and as katiecrna said, teammwork. Put the bun in it all the way, wrapped everywhere. Pull one foot out a sleeve, trim, put back, pull another out. I have my boyfriend craddle him tightly, so he feels supported and safe, and I try not to pinch his toes with the hand that isn't snipping the nails. I think being touched down there is very odd to them. Cutting quicks will happen when you're new, just keep some cornstarch on hand, and lots of apologies (aka treats). Try taking a flashlight and shining it underneath the nail, you'll be able to more clearly see how far the vein runs. If at the end of the day you're not comfortable enough to do it, it's a pretty cheap expense as far as rabbit health to have their nail trimmed as needed by a vet (I find about 2-3 times a year is pretty average for our boy, but he also comes outside with us, meaning he digs and wears them down on his own pretty well).

I've had bunnies that were just totally frustrating too. It sounds like it's more than just trimming the nails and sometimes we just need to vent :)
With all that said, just in case you haven't seen this video, and I'm sure you have... here's a great one on trimming nails demonstrated on a bunny who apparently has never had their nails trimmed before. Just in case it helps. Good luck and keep us posted.

I think it helps to take your bunny to a place your bunny doesn't usually go to trim nails. You know how when you take a bunny to the vet and they always sit still on the table, I think part of that is its a strange place- they don't know where to go are where to jump to. So if you take your bunny into a room they never usually are in, this sit more still. Also, I put on really strong reading glasses, so I can see what I am doing. And that above video is really good.

My rabbit took almost 2 years to bond to me. I know it’s hard but try to be patient. Try feeding her her veggies by hand or sprinkling them around you. Just sit there not moving while she eats, don’t try to pet her. If you do this continuously she will learn that you mean no harm. It may take a few months or a year, but once she trust you enough to climb on you to get treats or food, gradually start trying to pet her. Just do a few strokes on her head when she comes over to say hi to you. She may lose some trust in you once you start touching her so give her lots of treats and food by hand. I like to sit or lay down and put treats on me, so my rabbit has to climb on me to get them. Sleeping on the floor with her will also give her a chance to check you out/become less nervous with you. I would get a baby gate and put it in the door way so that she can see, hear, and smell you all the time. She might even come to the gate to beg. Try not to get to frustrated at her to much if she’s shy/scared it will all work out in the end.

Also try not to pick her up unless it’s ABSOLUTELY necessary

I still can't trim Bunster's nails but I'm waiting for the day I can lolol. If there's a HouseRabbitSociety near you I heard they do nail trims for a low price. My friend takes her rabbit on a drive because he gets scared and stays still enough for her sister to trim his nails.
Can you coax your rabbit out of her space with treats? Bunster is very very food motivated.

I never have to cut my rabbits' nails as they all love to dig! I always check every few months but it seems that they keep their nails nicely trimmed by themselves! :)

Latest posts

Back