I'm at a loss...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wamouse

Reaction score
What a drama!

Ok, so. Every pet store in WA sells rabbit pellets in bags, from bulk. There is no nutritional information on the bags, only the price. There are some supermarket brands, but they have high amounts of carrot and added sugars, so I'm not going to buy those!

Do you think I should just risk it? there is NO brand name anywhere on the bag, it's quite frustrating really. I have a hunch that I may be able to get a little nutrirional info if I look in a stock feeders somewhere, since they sell the bulk bags (I know this because I used to hae a LOT of mce. ;-)) so I will check there.

Ahh, man!
At least he's eating them!

I don't have any idea what to do about your current pellets, but it does sound like a dilemma.

Have you looked to see if you can order anything online? because you will probably be able to check the brand and nutritional info out via the website of the people that make that particular food.

If you did decide to switch brands, make sure you do it slowly, just add about a pinch of the new food, and increase by about a pinch or so every few days.

Fabulous! By any chance are there any local suppliers? You might be able to get it more cheaply through a store or vet.

BTW, I feed Oxbow.;)

What is Oxbow? I hear you guys mentionning it so much and I never heard of it before :?I am such a noob. LOL. I blame Montreal :pI can't wait to buy my house in the quiet countryside :D

Oxbow is a brand of pellets that are very good nutritionally for rabbits. Our vet suggested them. They are a little pricey but that's ok only the best for my babies.

Susan:apollo:

BTW you are not a Noob.

There is another option....if you have high quality hay and access to greens....pellets are not really necessary. A rabbit can live a healthy life (and in some cases a healthier life) without pellets. We have many of our rabbits that do quite well on high quality hay diets. The key to doing this is having the very best hay that can be found along with fresh greens. And regardless, if pellets are offered, they should be in very small amounts. We do offer pellets to some of our rabbits including one of our Flemish. The only reason she gets them at all is that she came from an abuse situation and was nearly starved. But she is over 25 pounds and gets less than a quarter cup of pellets per day. Pellets contain much higher protein that nature ever intended for a rabbit.

This is a topic where everyone has an opinion on the matter. Not feeding pellets has a lot of issues to be considered.....mostly the overall condition of the rabbit. Now a young, nursing or older rabbit may need pellets. Obviously a sick rabbit may need pellets as well. But with out healthy rabbits....we really don't care if they eat pellets and in some cases we don't even offer them. We want to see that hay being eaten.

Just another option and opinion.

Randy

Latest posts

Back