I'm Actually Hating Gus at this Point

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plasticbunny

Reaction score
It's true, I'm actually hating Gus right now.

I'm trying treats - he rarely takes them from me. I sit with him in his pen and he boxes me. I sit with him on my lap and he bites me. He thumps at me when I walk in his room. He can't be bought with food, snuggles, pets, or baby talk. I lay on the floor in his room and he stays in his pen. He won't get curious and come over to me. He's on my lap right now, sulking.

*sigh* I'm at a loss. There's no way around it, he just hates me and I'm starting to return his feelings. I know that the best I can do is keep at it and be patient. But some days, it feels hopeless.

nblllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllv (Gus actually just typed that)

hey dont worry, you're trying your best!

I had a bun called Mischief who had attitude problems and was aggressive. At times i just felt like crying becos she seemed so hopeless, but other timesi felt so excited because she did something positive for once, like hopping onto my lapor hopping over to me:)

Maybe you should try a different approach with Gus? Dont pick him up or put him on your lap just yet or even try to pet him, he will probs get grumpier by the sounds of it ;), dont let him know your getting annoyed with him,keep being cheerful and chirpy! You could move his pen into a neutral room, open it and just sit nearby reading a book, maybe with his dinner next to you. dont touch him or anything just ignore him so he knows he is safe around you. Even if he stays in his pen, dont worry, keep trying each day until he is more relaxed.

Not sure if you have tried that or not, but i think you are doing well, keep up the good work and good on you for being so patient, even if you feel like you are struggling,we all have tough times like this at some point!:biggrin2:

I know how frustrating it is, my bun used to be right where Gus is now, except I couldn't even have Reuben on my lap! You will get there, you really will.

I used to read aloud to him, so he got used to me being there, and the sound of my voice. I used to read about forensic science to him; he must be the smartest bunny in town now!

Dear Gus,

Please stop being a grumpy pants and show mamma some love! OR ELSE! OR ELSE i will be a sad panda.

:sosad

I am kinda in the same situation with Merry, though she hasn't bitten or boxed me but she is cautious and doesn't trust me completely so wont let me pet her for more than a few seconds, if at all. I'm trying to be patient with her too. He'll come around im sure. Didn't he start giving you kisses at some point?

Thanks for the support, everyone :).

I really like the idea of reading to him, and I haven't tried it before. I know the key is PATIENCE but I've never been very good at that before, lol. Tomorrow, I am dismantling the pen in his room and giving him the whole room as his home. It may help, or it may make him more skittish, we shall see.

Gus was like this ever since his neuter, a good six weeks before Molly passed. Good thinking, though.

Don't loose heart. It took a good 6 months before Cinderella would trust me. I got so upset about her reactions and fear. I ended up reading Watership Downs to her and Houdini. At first I didn' think she would ever come see me. After a while of him using me as a speed bump as I read she finally came over and then would dart away again. By the end of the book she would lay pressed against my hip, but I still couldn't pet her. I read the sequel to the book to them. By the end of that book I could pet her for short periods of time. Now I can finally pick her up and have found that she likes to watch tv (TLC is her favorite channel). She gives kisses but will stil nip when she is ready to go back to her house.

Don't give up. Fear is such a strong emotion in rabbits (I feel that all aggression is based in fear).

Latest posts

Back