Im 13 and just got a baby bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats for your baby bun, best tips it’s to interact as much as you can with your bunny in a pen while letting her explore you. Use pellets as treats to encourage her.

1. Don’t force yourself onto her too much, otherwise you can get a really defensive bunny that might bite. So let her slowly get to know you and interact, the best way to a bunny heart it’s through the food.

2. You can already start to train her to use a litter box, will become so much easier to clean the cage :)

3. If your bunny love pellets, best it’s to limit it already as kits. But it’s only if she will mainly eat pellets and not the hay.

4. Rabbits main food is hay, so even though she may seem to be starving don’t fall for her cuteness. Home made treats and natural treats are better than store bought. For example for treats are leafy greens/veggies (healthy treat), fruits (only small bits, too much sugar) and tree branches with leafs on.

5. Around 12 weeks you can slowly introduce greens, a bunny can’t go through big changes of diets otherwise their stomach can get upset.

6. Keep an eye on droppings, it will often show how the rabbit stomach feels. If it something wrong put the rabbit on a strict hay diet until it becomes better.

7.Around 3 months to one year, she will go into a teenage period and her behaviors can change. She can become territorial and become a whole different bunny then what you are used with. But they will often calm down later on, spaying will also help. During this period many abounds or sell their bunny again. Which is quite sad.

Have a big sized litter boxed with litter and hay. Make sure water and pellets are also near by.

The most important when litter training it’s to keep everything around clean, with no droppings and urine anywhere else in the cage. When your bunny urine, you will need to hide the smell after cleaning up, which you can use water and vinegar.

A bunny will often go to places where they smell urine as the litter corner. If your bunny already have a corner where she goes, you can place the litter box their and sprinkle a bit of bedding with urine on. To make the litter box smell :3

Can say during the teenage period. Bunnies will often lose all the litter training, but they often keep it clean in the cage but outside will be a battle.

OK thanks any potty traing tips I've never done that
I found litter box training to be easiest when there is no other bedding in the cage or play pen. My 14 week old boy was going potty all over his cage when I first brought him home. I removed all of the bedding from his cage except for what was in the litter box, I topped the litter box with hay and he has gone potty in his box ever since. (Except for occasional peppercorns in his play pen) My 12 week old female has been off and on with her potty training but we've gone over a week now with just one pee puddle in her play pen. She needs to have multuple litter boxes filled with only hay. These strategies seem to be working for me but I'm sure others here will have other ideas for you that have worked for them.

Your bunny is adorable!!

Also, you don't have to spend lots of money on fancy pet store litter boxes. I bought a set of 2 tall sided Sterlite storage containers at Target for $5 and that's what my small dwarf bunnies use. They had shorter cat litter boxes but they were accidentally peeing right over the sides.

I just went to Target and got a large plastic tub. It's about 1.5 ft tall and it works great! Any cat litter box will also work. I would say it should be big enough for your bunny to stretch out in. Also, I would include a Timothy hay feeder or put Timothy hay on one side of the box because bunnies like to eat while they're pooping.

Latest posts

Back