If You Had Wild Rabbits In Your Yard

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johncdn

Reaction score
I have had wild rabbits visiting my placefor the past few years- mostly mornings and evenings, but they have been seen in the neighbourhood late at night. In the winter all I ever see are footprints in the morning snow.

I have not seen any for about a month.A lot of the gardeners have been using anti-rabbit tactics - fencing, covering their plants at night etc.:X

Have they moved on? Gone to set up their winter warrens?

Has anyone else experienced this?

Some of my Wilds were posted as part of this thread.

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=14337&forum_id=21&highlight=wild

Smokey calls them Street Kids. He's such a snob;)

We haven't had as many rabbits in the past 2 years as the coyote population is up. We see the coyotes even in the day light hours. The red fox are back too. There seems to be a cycle - lots of rabbits, pheasants, turkeysand ground hogs followed by a year or 2 of coyotes followed by more rabbits for a a year or 2 and so on. The wild turkey population seems to be increasing and spreading this year too. We had a mama and babies the barn and she is quite bold.

This has been an odd year for cottontails. In our rehab....our cottontail numbers are the lowest they have ever been. Opossums are way up and squirrels are so far up they are off the chart. In this area...it might have something to do with the serious drought we are in. Our resorvoir is over 15 feet below normal. No rain=no grass. So I guess Mother Nature is working to keep the cottontail population down in this area for the time being.

Randy

We have had wild rabbits around for over 10 years now.

They've kept a home under the shed in the next yard. They share it with the groundhogs. Rabbits go in the front....groundhogs in the back.

They certainly seem a lot less active around this time of year.

Just yesterday I saw two sitting in our garden with very forlorn looks on their faces. Probably because my wife had just cleared out the garden over the past weekend.

I still see them in the fields when I go to work in the mornings. But it'sso dark in the early morning to get pictures of them.
I noticed some are missing as traffic has a toll on them.

I should add "Willowburg" is a city of about 300,000 so it's kind of urban, but there is a lot of green space. I'm about a block from a railway buffer that runs to a creek, and about 1/2 mile from a river.However, I don't recall seeing too many buns5-10 years ago.

Lots of squirrels here always have had - but this year we are lousy with them. I was wondering if their increase was the cause of the rabbit decrease.

Had my early hours interrupted last Saturday by a skunk fight on my front yard:shock:. I prayed for a "draw".

Hi John I haven't seen too many either, however I'm still putting out the carrots every night and they are gone in the morning. I did see one a couple of days ago.

Susan:apollo:

Aw, I'd be sad if mine stopped being around. We have them EVERYWHERE, it's so cute b/c there's always bunnies sharing hay with my horses ;)

Jessi

When I moved here the feral cat population was horrible. On my property alone I trapped 32 cats, and the neighbors together trapped close to the same ammount together.

It took over a year for the rabbit population to begin to pick up and even longer for squirrels to return.

Now I'm even blessed to see an occasional fox. :biggrin2:

I never see them, except this past week I seen one, that I've never seen look like that before.

It looked like a baby deer, but a rabbit.

It was orangish-brown, kinda looked like rex fur in a way, and had white spots on it's back.

Does anyone know what kind that was?

It snowed here this weekend, and all of a sudden, all sorts of rabbit tracks in the snow. Everywhere. We have the big snowshoe hares here that turn white in the winter. Amazing feet. It's funny though b/c I don't often see the hares, but realized today how many there must be with all the tracks everywhere.

Last year the snow was late in coming, and the hares had turned all white before there was any snow. One day, I saw a big white one sitting in the middle of the most green lawn you could imagine. Oh, how I felt sorry for it!

Latest posts

Back