Identifying Single vs Double Mane Lionhead babies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 25471

Lionel and Murphy
Reaction score
I know at only a few days old a distinct "V" can seen on the back of a baby if it will be a Double Mane. But if that window has passed (I am looking at 3-4 week olds (not to take possession until 8 wks !!) But what is then next phase/age sign that I can tell what they are?? Or should they still show a V at this age too?

I do NOT breed lionheads and have only my experience with Nala to educate me on them... but you'll be able to tell 100% when they shed their juvenile coat. For her, it was around 5-6 months of age, though I believe it can occur a bit later.

These are pics of my (single-maned) lionhead right before and after she blew her juvenile coat (she also permanently lost the skirt around her hind-end):

Such a cute pair. Yours has the same coloring as the litter I am looking at. I am hoping to be able to tell before I get him (at the 8 wk mark) . My Harley had his mane and the "foof" around his butt come and go over the years.

Latest posts

Back