Identifying hay and possible Stasis

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kleb06

Reaction score
Is anyone able to identify what these are? I’ve been getting hay from a lady that handouts it from her fields but the last few bags had lots of these pods and weeds. I’ve been picking out what I see but I don’t know if it’s dangerous for my bunnies to consume.
Last night all of a sudden my 8 month old Netherland dwarf didn’t want anything to do with her food. Which is extremely weird. Her little body was tight and tummy very firm. She kept laying down like she was uncomfortable. I gave her infant gas drops, massaged her tummy and tried to get her to move as much as possible. I had her vet (2hours away) on standby. Within 90 minutes she started to eat a bit of hay and veggies then had a poop explosion and seemed fine.
One of the only reasons I could think of was the hay. Nothing else changed. Here is what was in it if anyone knows

Attachments

• 52035082-AD65-45C5-AE2B-40DF100F22EB.jpeg
    52035082-AD65-45C5-AE2B-40DF100F22EB.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • B3973D64-7B16-416A-AA96-C9CCCBAD581C.jpeg
    B3973D64-7B16-416A-AA96-C9CCCBAD581C.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 2A9386D8-1A5F-4BC6-9B52-B7801CE0DD1F.jpeg
    2A9386D8-1A5F-4BC6-9B52-B7801CE0DD1F.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
The pods would be my biggest concern. I don't know plants very well, so can't say what it might be, but it would be important to identify the plant to make sure it's not toxic, before feeding anymore of the hay, since you've already had a bun with stomach upset that could be linked to it.

The pods would be my biggest concern. I don't know plants very well, so can't say what it might be, but it would be important to identify the plant to make sure it's not toxic, before feeding anymore of the hay, since you've already had a bun with stomach upset that could be linked to it.
I just got back and the lady told me they were rye heads and wild peas. I did a quick search and although wild peas are not toxic apparently dried pods can cause blockages! I have been removing them from the hay but it is possible I may have overlooked some. I’m going to lay it all out and go over it several times to be sure they are all removed.
It was very crazy how fast she became Ill. I thought I was losing her. It was even crazier how fast she bounced back and seemed totally fine within a few hours.

That's good it's not a toxic plant. Hand sorting through hay is a pain. Years ago I ended up with some bales that I had to hand sort through. I was sooo glad when I finished the last bale.

Yeah, they can get sick pretty fast.

That's good it's not a toxic plant. Hand sorting through hay is a pain. Years ago I ended up with some bales that I had to hand sort through. I was sooo glad when I finished the last bale.

Yeah, they can get sick pretty fast.
It is a total pain!!! I only have a bag, I can’t imagine a bale 😳
Thanks JBun!

Latest posts

Back