Ideas to trim my bunny’s nails

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bella's mom

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My bun is almost 4 months. I took her to get her nails trimmed at the vet at the end of March. The pet store near my house trims nails once a month, we missed out the last time as she would not get in her carrier! Her nails are long and she won’t let me pick her up to hold her. I’m scared to do so as I don’t want to hurt her. Is there such thing as a scratching post for bunnies? Kind of like cats? One that I can leave in her cage? Or have any of you made your own scratching or nail file device? She’s squirmish and doesn’t like to be held! She’s more head strong than my two teenage children...lol. Thanks everyone,
Bella’s Mom!

Hi! As far as i know there isn’t a scratching post like cats for bunnies. It would save so much time if that was the case haha but i know pepper doesn’t like being picked up and being held either... i dont know where you are but if you live in canada/alberta/calgary there is a store called pisces and it does free nail trimmings. And you can go any time just schedule a day first. Most pet stores to my knowledge will do nail trimings whenever, maybe phone around and see. When you find a place try putting Bellas carrier in her cage and then when she goes in you can lift her out and take her. If she doesn’t want to go in try to tempt her with a treat. When you go in to get her nails done though ask if they can show you how they do it. I did this with pepper and i clip his nails at home now. Make sure you have a blood clotting powder incase you clip to close. If they are sold out cornstarch is a good substitute. :) Hope that helped!

Bunny Burrito!

Wrap your bunny up in a towel, try to keep them calm and relaxed. Then take out one foot at a time to clip nails. You can look on youtube for videos of this! And how to clip her nails properly! And I second the comment about having a good clotting powder nearby, accidents happen but if you're diligent, it doesn't lead to anything bad. Just your bunny won't like you very much for the following few days haha. But little clips every few weeks can help keep the Quick of the nail (nerve ending) shorter and less of a chance to clip it. I clip my bunny's nails just a bit every 2-3 weeks so for one, he can get used to it and realize I'm not hurting him, and two, so the Quick doesn't grow out too long and I accidentally hit it when I need to do a larger trim. Treats right after and sometimes before helps your bunny know that s/he's safe in the Bunny Burrito ^_^

Hi everyone,

My bun is almost 4 months. I took her to get her nails trimmed at the vet at the end of March. The pet store near my house trims nails once a month, we missed out the last time as she would not get in her carrier! Her nails are long and she won’t let me pick her up to hold her. I’m scared to do so as I don’t want to hurt her. Is there such thing as a scratching post for bunnies? Kind of like cats? One that I can leave in her cage? Or have any of you made your own scratching or nail file device? She’s squirmish and doesn’t like to be held! She’s more head strong than my two teenage children...lol. Thanks everyone,
Bella’s Mom!

I don’t know how you felt about the vet visit to trim nails, but I find it much easier with Bennie. Have you ever trained her to be comfortable on her back. I know bunnies don’t really prefer that, but with Bennie, I have gotten him to where he doesn’t squirm at all if I put him on his back which makes things like trimming nails and cleaning his feet so much easier. I did it with him a lot at first to show him nothing bad would happen and that he could trust me and once he realized it wasn’t so bad and that it benefits him when I need to do certain things, he has gotten to where it is just a normal routine. I even tell the girls at the vet clinic that he will let them trim his nails if they hold him belly up and he does great!

You shouldn’t put a bunny on its back, it can induce Tonic Immobility. They look calm but it is a state of shock. The bunny burrito is how I do it too, really works and usually keeps them pretty calm too. You should not use human nail clippers though as they are designed to cut thin flat nails, not rabbits thick round nails. It is also Easier to cut wonky when using human clippers.
Practice handling her without actually clipping her nails so that she realises it isn’t such a bad experience, and give lots of treats if she is being good while handling :) good luck!

My suggestion is... clip your bunnies nails in a strange place they have never been before. Like go outside and sit in the car and clip their nails. Being in a strange place where they don't know where to run to or where to go— so they tend to sit a lot more still.

Also, adding... I do put my rabbits on their backs in my lap. But I do it for short amounts of time. If clipping nails usually do one-two paws at a time and then rests the rabbit upright in between. So they don't go into the deep hypnotic sleep.

Also, I think you should be able to get your bunny to let you hold it for short amounts of time on their back in your lap so you can check their private parts and make sure they are clean etc.... I really have to be able to do that with mine. I have jersey woolies which have long hair and I have to trim fur around their private parts if they get matts or poos stuck so its part of my grooming routine. I do everything with them in my lap usually on the sofa. I try to get it done fast so they are not on their backs too long. No one has died yet.

I find it fairly easy to do my new Zealand's nails with them on a table with them sitting on a piece of carpet. I just pull out a leg and trim those nails, then on to the next. At first i would have someone put a hand on their back to sort of hold them in place. But after a few trims. They all just sort of sit there now and let it happen. Believe me. I have a few that the worst part is picking them up.

Thank you so VERY much everyone for your awesome feedback. You are all so awesome! @Pepper89 , @Cookiemonster, @lilnaugrim , @Bennie_bunny_mom, @Popsicles, and @squidpop and @UFCreel . All your suggestions are great. I will try to convince her to get into her carrier with treats again. Smart bunny! :D We love having her in our family. She brings joy to our family and keeps us on our toes! I am slowly touching her paws and under her paws and she seems to be getting better with me. I love the Burrito pose and I will eventually try that. I like the suggestion of cutting her nails in a new environment. She still squirms when I go to pick her up. I hope that eventually she will jump into my lap and she'll be ok for us to carry or pick her up. I don't want to overdo it and have her be scared of us. She's a delight and you are all so awesome for your great suggestions and feedback. Happy Saturday to you all!!

@UFCreel , I think that's the main problem, is handling Bella. I am afraid I'll hurt her as she's so skittish! I think once I get over the fear of it I will be fine. Also, my husband and kids don't feel comfortable enough to hold her in a hold so I can trim her nails and I know they don't feel comfortable to cut her nails. I was fine with my cat and guinea pig, they were not squirmy. @lilnaugrim, I teach and work with students who have special needs and behaviours so I am used to being the "mean" person :D what scares me is that she just started thumping two days ago... I think she's starting puberty :O so she will be getting fixed shortly!!

All the other suggestions are awesome (I might be adding a couple to my repertoire) but I thought I'd share our process for our furfriends (2 guineas + 2 bunnies): As my fiancé holds them while I clip it already helps and I use regular nail clippers as I find them easier but if 1 of them is feeling particularly agitated about trimming that day we do 1 paw and later do another etc.

@Milyvan , thanks so much for your response and suggestions. I used to have a cat and guinea and they were great, Bella is so squirmy! I will see if someone gets the courage to hold her for me :D I have heard that many people use regular nail clippers as it's easier!! :) Thanks again and happy Saturday :)

Also I think this is a good video of how to pick up your rabbit. And one thing I've noticed about picking a rabbit up- try to pet and then adjust the rabbit so it head faces toward you before picking up- and don't pick from behind -facing away from you, becuase that triggers their instinct to run away.

All really good suggestions and I do love those bunny how to videos, shes pretty good!
@squidpop im glad it works for you but it’s not a suggestion you should be spreading. There is no need to put them on their back, I check my rabbits bum regularly by having her upright in my arms, rather than flat on her back. Any good vet would tell you exactly the same thing, that it is dangerous to put a Rabbit, as a prey animal, on its back.

Hey!

Do they have a ladder in their pen or somewhere in the house? I’ve got a two tiered cage in the house and I’ve stuck sandpaper to the ladder and it’s really good to keep the nails short. I’ve had my buns 6 months and I’ve only had to trim their nails once! I still check once or twice a month just to check it isn’t causing any soreness etc but it never has, just worth keeping an eye

@Martha,
Thanks so much! I have heard about the sandpaper. I will look on Pinterest and see if I can come up with a creative idea. I don't have a ladder but I can see if I can get creative! I appreciate it and what a neat idea. I am thinking of trying to file her nails. I was able to touch her paws and nails and she didn't squirm :D

@squidpop , thanks for the videos. I will take a good look at them :) I love watching videos of cute rabbits! Thanks @Popsicles for your suggestion as well. :)

Latest posts

Back