Idea for keeping cage warm

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tori

Reaction score
I know there's another thread similar to this, but I have a specific question, and my cage is indoors.

Its been getting pretty cold in the house and we don't want to use the heater too much, especially right now since it can still get pretty warm. I do have some small blankets in the cage but Jasmine doesn't sleep in them, so I had an idea. The floor is plywood with carpet on top and I thought about putting a heating padin one sectionbetween the wood and carpet when it gets real cold. I'd just have to make sure she can't get the cord. Does this sound like an okay idea?

No. Heating pads are not made to get wet. Bunny may pee and it may get wet. That could be a fire hazard.

Why would she need heat? Buns are better at handling cold than hot.

The only thing cold interferes with is water as it freezes and they cant drink. Many buns live outside and do very well.

I dont like my buns below freezing so I insulate the add-on room they are in. I have a large rabbitry. It gets to 32F most of the winter, some days colder but usually its only for a few hours. If it stays below freezing to long, I move all the cages and buns into the basement till the worse of the cold is over then they go back into the rabbitry. The basement is 38 in winter.
I have done it this way for years and even when I raised rex and satins.

But as long as its not below freezing, your bun shouldnt need anything special. The best thing IMO, is hay!!
I will pack hay in their cages and they tunnel into it. Hay is an excellent insulator!!
Its used for the goats and sheep too in winter and they are outside. If it wasnt for hay, my goats would have problems staying warm in winter. We get to -20F below here in winter.

Hay holds the body heat in.
Its also natural and a good part of the rabbit diet. :)

If the temperature is comfortable for you then it is definitely comefortable for your bunny, lot's of rabbits live outside without any problems :)

I didn't even think about if she were to pee on it. I guess I didn't think about it because she's pretty well litter trained, but definitely don't want to take that chance.

This is why I asked first :) And I'm glad I did!

I think if you're comfortable in your house, even with a sweater on, your bun is fine. They can be comfortable down to 50 degrees or more, and I doubt your house is even that cold.

No its definitely not :biggrin2: I guess I just saw her cuddled up when she's usually stretched out and worried about her. But now I'm certain she's fine. I just love her and care about her :)

Bunnies can tolerate cold much better than we can; it's the heat that's tricky for them, even inside.

I'm sure if the house is warm enough for you, it's warm enough for her.

Last February's ice storm left me without heat for 6 days. Got down to 42 in the house the last day. My 4 house rabbits loved it. They were all hyper running jumping etc. I didn't enjoy having 7 blankets and clothes on in the bed and being up dressed like I was outside.

ed

Latest posts

Back