I would LOVE any PHOTOS or IDEAS for housing TWO unbonded buns?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 25471

Lionel and Murphy
Reaction score
I have two unbonded buns and they both SHOULD be whole house buns, but they can't be out together. I have tried to find a home for my second with no luck yet. I am struggling to fine a creative way to house them both. I love the cool setups - but I don't have much room for two large enclosures. They each have a cage now next to each other, I have posted a pict. I am thinking maybe two levels - with a ramp on the one to get to the upper housing. Or maybe two, two level enclosures so they each have more space. I don't care if I have to build something. cages.jpgIf I only had ONE bun, I would just leave the caged area open and let him go in and out as he pleases.....that is how my other "house buns" have lived......but I have to contain one, when the other is out - and I don't want to contain him to JUST a cage. I would LOVE some photos of a situation where there are TWO rabbits that are separated but next to each other.

How about something similar to this? (I drew in the upper portion.) Each rabbit has it's own personal space - one in the upper level, the other in the area immediately below it. The main area (on left) is available to whichever bun is not being allowed free-roam. So while one rabbit is out free-roaming, the other has access to the rest of the penned-in area.

The upper level could span from the right wall to the center of your 2 windows (in front of the right window but with either mesh or acrylic there so as to let them look out). I'm guessing that is about 4'. If the other dimension (from front to back) could be 5ish feet , then that would give them a "private" space of 20 sq feet plus that same amount in the "shared" common area.

The upper part would need a door with a hop down into the enclosed space on the left and another door with a hop down into the main house for free roaming.
The lower part would also need 2 doors - one with access to the left, the other with access to main part of house.

Attachments

• Kundenbilder-w 2nd level.jpg
    Kundenbilder-w 2nd level.jpg
    955.5 KB · Views: 24
Out of curiosity, what have you tried to "bond" them?
Are they fixed? Both same sex (forgive me for not knowing from your description)?

If you absolutely can not have them together (my questions above will help me give ideas) then I'd suggest small expens side by side with about 6 inches from the other (gives space to not reach through the bars at the other)

My buns are freerun house buns, with no barriers or cages. I have successfully "bonded" my boy to both my girls past & present by "quarentine". I can explain this after you have replied...

How about something similar to this? (I drew in the upper portion.) Each rabbit has it's own personal space - one in the upper level, the other in the area immediately below it. The main area (on left) is available to whichever bun is not being allowed free-roam. So while one rabbit is out free-roaming, the other has access to the rest of the penned-in area.

The upper level could span from the right wall to the center of your 2 windows (in front of the right window but with either mesh or acrylic there so as to let them look out). I'm guessing that is about 4'. If the other dimension (from front to back) could be 5ish feet , then that would give them a "private" space of 20 sq feet plus that same amount in the "shared" common area.

The upper part would need a door with a hop down into the enclosed space on the left and another door with a hop down into the main house for free roaming.
The lower part would also need 2 doors - one with access to the left, the other with access to main part of house.
I like that idea. I don't want to cover the window bc they do look out.

I like that idea....and having a shared area to the left instead of protruding "into" the room. It makes good use of the space. Is that a setup you have (without the drawn on) or was that a photo you found? I am wondering where to find panels and doors to build something like that. Thanks for the ideas!

Out of curiosity, what have you tried to "bond" them?
Are they fixed? Both same sex (forgive me for not knowing from your description)?

If you absolutely can not have them together (my questions above will help me give ideas) then I'd suggest small expens side by side with about 6 inches from the other (gives space to not reach through the bars at the other)

My buns are freerun house buns, with no barriers or cages. I have successfully "bonded" my boy to both my girls past & present by "quarentine". I can explain this after you have replied...
They are both neutered males, Both almost 2 yrs old now and I've have them both since they were 12 weeks old. I've tried everything to bond them ever since they were neutered to no avail. I would be interested in knowing what your "quarantine" method is. I have separated them for a while.....that didn't work either. They both put their heads down for the other to groom (I'm guessing) when they have the pen between them and neither will submit.

@Happy Hollands has some neat cages for her rabbitry. You could do something like that. (she has shared pictures here: Help! Alternative Flooring Options?? | RabbitsOnline )

If you willing to get completely new cages, here is some stuff I found online.

The first one I was thinking you could do 2 of that side by side.

The second, you could do like said above.

For the third, you could maybe get 2 dog kennels and do as said above.

Attachments

• Bunny Cage 1.jpg
    Bunny Cage 1.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Bunny Cage 2.jpg
    Bunny Cage 2.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Bunny Cage 3.jpg
    Bunny Cage 3.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
They are both neutered males, Both almost 2 yrs old now and I've have them both since they were 12 weeks old. I've tried everything to bond them ever since they were neutered to no avail. I would be interested in knowing what your "quarantine" method is. I have separated them for a while.....that didn't work either. They both put their heads down for the other to groom (I'm guessing) when they have the pen between them and neither will submit.
Ohh I see. Boys are a bit harder I hear.

I used an expen to "quarentine". And while one was out the other would be in the pen. They'd run around the pen, smelling at eachother and getting used to each other that way. Then after a week or two of this, i introduced them without the pen.
Sure mine ran around each other, trying to mount the other and as long as there was no fighting/biting I'd let them do this for a while. They'd bow to the other but it took a few times of open visit and having lunch together, getting them to spend time doing the same thing before they stopped trying to mount eachother and just got along.
Granted my buns are of the opposite sex.
But as I said I was able to do this with my male to my first girl, then when she passed and I got my lop, I did the same thing. I had no choice though because the first set they weren't fixed so I had to have them separated and for my new girl, I didn't want her to have a different attitude towards my boy by letting her have open visit before her spay so I waited till after her post op recovery was finished.
That's it. Maybe i just got lucky twice.

I like that idea. I don't want to cover the window bc they do look out.

I like that idea....and having a shared area to the left instead of protruding "into" the room. It makes good use of the space. Is that a setup you have (without the drawn on) or was that a photo you found? I am wondering where to find panels and doors to build something like that. Thanks for the ideas!
It's just a photo I found online. For the upper part in front of the window, the panel could have a piece of plexiglass so they can still look out.
In the photo, they just used a hardware mesh for the panels. You could use 1x2's as framing. You could also make use of wired closet shelving (bottom photo). You can get all kinds of creative in deciding how to build it to your liking.

I've made a plexiglass home-base cage for free-roamers, and also used an old oven cabinet to make a cage. Hinges or zip-ties can be used for swinging doors. Hook and eyelets for closing...
Here's a sampling of some I've made just to help get you thinking about various options for 'walls.'

Attachments

• 100_2787.JPG
    100_2787.JPG
    270.7 KB · Views: 8
  • main cage watermarked with frame low res.jpg
    main cage watermarked with frame low res.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 8
Ohh I see. Boys are a bit harder I hear.

I used an expen to "quarentine". And while one was out the other would be in the pen. They'd run around the pen, smelling at eachother and getting used to each other that way. Then after a week or two of this, i introduced them without the pen.
Sure mine ran around each other, trying to mount the other and as long as there was no fighting/biting I'd let them do this for a while. They'd bow to the other but it took a few times of open visit and having lunch together, getting them to spend time doing the same thing before they stopped trying to mount eachother and just got along.
Granted my buns are of the opposite sex.
But as I said I was able to do this with my male to my first girl, then when she passed and I got my lop, I did the same thing. I had no choice though because the first set they weren't fixed so I had to have them separated and for my new girl, I didn't want her to have a different attitude towards my boy by letting her have open visit before her spay so I waited till after her post op recovery was finished.
That's it. Maybe i just got lucky twice.
I think you DID get Lucky!! I had two boys before these and they were fine. Never thought they wouldn't "eventually" get along. As I said its been close to 2 years. My husband has been very patient with me dedicating a large part of our space to our buns....he loves them too. Its just not only do they not get along...they territorial poop and even pee occasionally - they are totally trained. They are just both trying to be the main man. They never tried to mount eachother - they just go right to tornado-ing, pulling fur (I assume "trying" to bite) but I don't let that go for long. They've gotten out together by accident and it ends in a tornado (though usually it has involved one getting into the others area at the same time they are there) But I have done the neutral route and also swapping cages. Nothing has worked so hence, I would like to be able to keep both in some sort of acceptable arrangement. I cry when I think of rehoming my one, but so far I have been so picky who he goes to, I haven't been able to anyways. My husband wants a little normalcy to our home back. I want to setup up something nice (and hoping to be able to accomodate both) Thank you for the replies! I see there are some more photos posted. Can't wait to look thru and hopefully get some ideas. My husband is very handy and creative - hopefully looking thru a bunch we can come up with something!

It's just a photo I found online. For the upper part in front of the window, the panel could have a piece of plexiglass so they can still look out.
In the photo, they just used a hardware mesh for the panels. You could use 1x2's as framing. You could also make use of wired closet shelving (bottom photo). You can get all kinds of creative in deciding how to build it to your liking.

I've made a plexiglass home-base cage for free-roamers, and also used an old oven cabinet to make a cage. Hinges or zip-ties can be used for swinging doors. Hook and eyelets for closing...
Here's a sampling of some I've made just to help get you thinking about various options for 'walls.'
Ooh...more ideas. That one photo or the repurposed table? I think - looks like it has refrigerator shelfs for two of the sides. Well, this gives me something to think on during the rest of the COVID stay inside days! I am going to start designing (and looking for some furniture to possibly repurpose. I got some cool ideas for flooring and beds and shelves. I apprecaite all these posts. I love that your goal is to help make every bunny a happy one ! Thanks to everyone in this forum.

@K1marie I want to get these from Amazon so I can foster if needed 🥰💞 but they're always sold out when I go to purchase. Many rescues I follow use them. Maybe they could be what you need.
https://www.amazon.ca/SONGMICS-Playpen-Exercise-Enclosure-Transparent/dp/B07Q5Y5FQ3
I hope you keep your buns. Just because.💗
Good luck with whatever ends up happening.
Happy new year
Thanks. Happy New Year to you too. I have seen these on Amazon....I think my buns are too aggressive for this. They lift up my heavy xpen bc they have gotten out in the past and are convinced they can escape anything. (thats why I hate having them share "out" time. They are both unhappy when they are limited to their cage & pen. But at least they DO get out and get to run free for part of the time.

Thanks. Happy New Year to you too. I have seen these on Amazon....I think my buns are too aggressive for this. They lift up my heavy xpen bc they have gotten out in the past and are convinced they can escape anything. (thats why I hate having them share "out" time. They are both unhappy when they are limited to their cage & pen. But at least they DO get out and get to run free for part of the time.
I sure hope you can find a workable solution so both buns can stay with you ❤️

Latest posts

Back