I want to wimp out of the vet trip

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charliebun

Reaction score
Hi, I just made my account here but have gained very much from lurking in rabbit forums as a first time rabbit owner. Charlie and Bun are due their booster vaccinations this month. I’ll be honest I’ve been putting off making the appointment. This is because they are very scaredy rabbits and I am worried about traumatising them and losing all the trust I have built. They have access to the entire house yet only stick to two rooms (their own bedroom, and sleeping under the bed in the master bedroom during daytime.) Yesterday I noticed a small flaky patch of skin on the back of buns neck. Might be nothing but If mites could be quickly treated before causing discomfort. It was another reason to make that vet appt. So I have booked them in for boosters plus a skin check for tommorow. Thought it was a bonus to do both in one go. I’m even allowed in with them as long as I’m wearing my mask etc. But I’m starting to feel really anxious about it and there’s a huge part of me that wants to cancel. Last time they went in the car was a year ago for neutering and they were shaking and very upset, Charlie didn’t forgive me for weeks and was so frightened when we got home he had to be lifted out of his basket and was all floppy. I have to do this though right? Even though it’s going to be traumatic for them:( please reassure me I’m doing the right thing

Well if they need their vaccination this month you're definitely doing right thing, as well as checking for mites on the same trip. Hopefully this time they will take it easier, and it's not neutering I think it shouldn't be so stressful for them. Please keep us updated on how it went, I will keep my fingers crossed for you :)

Aw no worries.
My two buns are actually going to get a health check and annual vaccinations at 5pm today! It took a while for them to get used to the car but now, my little bunnies are totally happy in the car and will munch on hay while we’re driving.
I think that it’s the best thing to do! Vaccinations do not hurt the bunny at all! Most buns barely even notice it. The vet will do it in a matter of seconds.

It’s great that your allowed to go in with them! I hope I am.

Let us know how you get on!

Thankyou so much for your reply’s! I logically know it is the right thing to do, but feel guilty about it, I wish I could talk to them and tell them there is nothing to worry about! I will be sure to update on how it goes tommorow afternoon! I know it sounds silly but having a bit of reassurance helps me to know I’m doing the right thing and just make myself get on with it 😁

Well if they need their vaccination this month you're definitely doing right thing, as well as checking for mites on the same trip. Hopefully this time they will take it easier, and it's not neutering I think it shouldn't be so stressful for them. Please keep us updated on how it went, I will keep my fingers crossed for you :)
Thankyou! I kept telling myself maybe I could get away without the vaccination as house rabbits, but then all my reading told me that they still need the vaccine, as they go out in the garden and bugs can even come in on salad! I think the fur patch has given me the push I needed to do it! I will be continuously apologising as I force them into the basket lol. Thankyou for the validation

Thankyou! I kept telling myself maybe I could get away without the vaccination as house rabbits, but then all my reading told me that they still need the vaccine, as they go out in the garden and bugs can even come in on salad! I think the fur patch has given me the push I needed to do it! I will be continuously apologising as I force them into the basket lol. Thankyou for the validation
I logically know it is the right thing to do, but feel guilty about it, I wish I could talk to them and tell them there is nothing to worry about!
What stops you from talking to them?? I always talk to my rabbits they understand everything they are very intelligent creatures, also talking is good because it's not like you just doing everything in complete silence. And don't apologise of feel guilty, be confident, you are doing right thing to keep them protected and no need to feel guilty.
Also rabbits understand when you are confident very well and they will feel more confident themselves when they feel that you know what are you doing. Don't ask Hey guys would you like to travel with me to vets to be tortured? There are many ways to make it sound positive, smile, say you love them and you are going on a trip and will meet some nice people who will check your skin condition and will protect you from viruses :)

If they are out even occasionally they definitely need to be vaccinated, there are too many cases people losing their rabbits to those deadly viruses, so they just need to stay protected from them.

What stops you from talking to them?? I always talk to my rabbits they understand everything they are very intelligent creatures, also talking is good because it's not like you just doing everything in complete silence. And don't apologise of feel guilty, be confident, you are doing right thing to keep them protected and no need to feel guilty.
Also rabbits understand when you are confident very well and they will feel more confident themselves when they feel that you know what are you doing. Don't ask Hey guys would you like to travel with me to vets to be tortured? There are many ways to make it sound positive, smile, say you love them and you are going on a trip and will meet some nice people who will check your skin condition and will protect you from viruses :)

If they are out even occasionally they definitely need to be vaccinated, there are too many cases people losing their rabbits to those deadly viruses, so they just need to stay protected from them.
Thankyou so much, it made me laugh out loud when You said about telling them they are going to be tortured! I will try to talk to them reassuringly, this will probably help with my confidence aswell! :)

One thing to keep in mind is that is may not be riding in the car that is stressing them out, rather possibly the carrier or being handled by new people. Maybe introduce the carrier (by leaving in their cage for a few days / weeks) before the appointment so they are fully used to it by vet day. Or buy a new, spacious carrier so there is extra room for them to stretch out and relax. As for the vet techs stressing them out, there is not much that can be done about this unfortunately! You can try to have others (rabbit-savvy family and friends) handle them leading up to vet day, or just simply trust the vet and make note of extra careful handling when you check in. Remember... vets are trained and know what is best for your pet. Personally, there is nobody I would trust more with my fur babies!

Awww I know exactly how you feel. I always get really anxious and feel like I’m tricking them as I’m bribing them with treats to get them into the carrier. And then feel super guilty for putting them through the drive and the vet handling experience ☹️ But it’s always for the best.

Once they’re home again and have settled back in their space they’ll soon forget all about it ☺️

Latest posts

Back