I want a dog =[

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undergunfire

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
I'm going to pout, lol. No one make fun of me or anything, I just need to dump on some pet lovers...

:laughsmiley:

I want a Greyhound, really bad....or to at least foster for the Greyhound rescues around here. Every time I go to PetSmart to get more kitty food or something, I go on a Saturday...when the Grey's are there. I am head-over-heals and would just DIE to have a Grey. I am soo in love with them. It is even at the point where all the foster parents are asking me to sign up for fostering, lol!

I have been dogless for THREE years, the longest that I have ever been without a dog . My Beagle, Willie, passed away from Lime Disease. He was my baby.

I loveeee loooveeee looooooveee dogs. Some times I make Ryan sit down town with me on the square, where I HAVE to pet dogs and watch them. If I see a Greyhound....I'm like a giggling little kid.

Ryan is a meanie and says I can't have a Grey because we don't have a fenced in yard, but all the Grey-people I have talked to said they just need long walks and make the perfect "apartment" dogs...as they are couch potatoe's. Then when I tell him that he says we need to wait until we BUY the/a house.

Sometimes I feel down on myself because of my weight and we live in such a wonderful neighborhood and I would love to go walking every night, but Ryan won't walk with me and I would love to walk with a doggie....well...I won't walk alone!

Remind me why I have to listen to the future husband :raspberry:.

*ends her little pouting story*

Amy needs a dog.. on her long walks.. to feel safe ... because... there iz watchers in her neighborhood..

MountainLion_2_PhilHolden.jpg

Amy, my sister has had retired racing greyhounds for over 20 years. They are fabulous dogs. Yeah, they are couch pototoes! But they are very affectionate, sweet temperedand loving. Don't expect them to be too protective. My sister swears if anyone ever broke into her house, her dogs would show them the jewelry box in exchange for a biscuit! But they are protective of her.

Her dogs have their own couch (a futon) and they do need long walks if you don't have a fenced yard. But my sister has lupus and has had several stokes (she's younger than me!) and walking with the dogs has done wonders for her. They are patient and seem to understand that she can't run. She does take them to a dog park for a good run once or twice a week.

Our rabbit club had several representatives from Grateful Greyhounds (a local NY rescue group) come and speak at our meeting last month. They brought a few dogs...The woman told us they can even be trained not to bother with a house bunny! (Ummm... as long as the house bunny doesn't run the "Bunny 500" infront of the dog!)

I think they are great dogs. Make sure you work with a good rescue that will exchange the dog if there are too many issues. (My sister did get agirl that had aggression issues that were beyond her. The rescue exchanged it for another, that worked out really well.) In spite of the fact that they are naturally really gentle, sweet dogs, coming off a track, you are never quite sure what the dog has experienced (abuse?) and how they handled it.

LOL @ Zin! I haven't seen a mountain Lion, so I am really not aaaall that scared. I was told to carry pepper spray and a blow horn, remember? hahahaha...nutty neighbors.

Cathy...great information, thank you! I really don't worry about having bunnies and a dog. The rabbits have their own room and I can close the door or get a baby gate to keep a doggie out....if they won't jump it, lol!

I worry about the kitties taking to a dog, moreover. I think their foster mommy had dogs, though. I am sure, with time, the cats could get used to a dog....as long as the dog is fine with cats...and I know some Grey's are.

I don't want to overwhelm myself with two kitties and a big dog in our little house. The rabbits and rats are in their own room, so they are "out of the way".

With Mallory coming home and Benson possibly not finding his forever home....I think I'll have to wait for a doggie until Benson passes/does find a home and the ratties all pass away.

Our other issue....we work an 8 hour day and are out of the house Mon-Fri for about 9 hours per day...sometimes 10 hours a day we are not here. I worry that that wouldn't be fair for a doggie :(.

Hopefully someday in the not-so-far-away-future I can get my Grey. Being patient is soooo hard, especially since every where I go I "check out" dogs...lol....and when ever I see a dog, I say to Ryan, "Ohhhhh....I want a dooogieeeee!!".

:p

You should go for it! Have you ever taken Ryan with you on saturdays to see the greys? He couldn't say no then. I work at a kennel and the grey's are always everyone's favorite. They undoubtably have the best manners, but are often the ones who seek the most attention. And they laze around A LOT. We've never had a grey, my mom volunteers for great dane rescue, though (adopt one), and danes and greys are very similar in termperment. They only thing is are the rescues willing to adopt out greys to homes without fenced in yards? I Know that for MAGDRL (mid atlantic great dane rescue league) you have to have a fenced in yard, no exceptions or electric fences. They do allow like that green fence stuff for deer. If the rescue you're looking at requires fences, that's a cheap option.

I don't find Greyhounds attractive in the least (no offense) but I wouldn't hesitate to own one. I would be cautious about the cats though and make sure that the dog you get has been fostered with them and is okay. As a sight hound breed, they'll take off after anything that is small and runs fast pretty much. Though, when you get a retired racer, they're about four and much more mellow, so it's hardly a concern if it's the right dog for you.

I'm excited for you if you do! You'll have to post a million pictures.

I know BlueGiants said some greys can get along with bunnies, but I'd be extra cautious, because they have been bred for AGES to do one thing: chase a rabbit very fast! Especiallyif it were a former track dog (I know a lot of the rescues around here specialize in those for greyhounds), it might just be too "set in his way" to train not to chase bunnies. Just my 2 cents.

Amy my hubby is the same way. Right now, it's no dog until I only have 1 rabbit. :Xyeah I know. He thinks 3 rabbits and a dog are too many pets. :DAnd we have our own house w/ yard too! ARRGH! So I understand the frustration and you have my sympathy.

By the way, I didn't want the pool table (hubby's idea)taking up my entire family room...but you know, there it sits. Maybe one day I'll 'find' a dog and bring it home. ;)

So, since I'm not going to give up my cute bun-buns to get a dog, I doubt I'll ever get one.

And it sucks.

lalena2148... don't tell your husband I have 74 rabbits, 2 dogs (including a 9 week old puppy) and a parrot (Oh yeah, and 2 kids and a husband...). And honestly, they are what keeps me sane... (well, just this side ofinsane anyway.)

Greyhounds are such cool dogs! There is a TV show here for parents of newborn babies, and the host of the show is filmed from her home, she has 3 greyhounds. I watch the show just to see the dogs, haha! They are always lazing about on the couch, and they look so affectionate and friendly.

I haven't had a dog since I was under 10, I would like another one day, I miss the dog we had (bernese mountain dog). His name was Lucky because we got him from the pound about an hour before he was going to get put down.

I agree with you Amy, about your work hours being a bit long for a dog right now. But don't worry, I'm sure you'll be on maternity leave one of these days, so you'll be at home allllll day :p.

ok, i'll be up front. grays are not my fave. that would go to labs. but they are in the top ten for me. and i really love the..............darn it! what are the called? the dogs that look like mini gray hounds? any way, love those.

and as to this.............................

undergunfire wrote:
Remind me why I have to listen to the future husband :raspberry:.

erm, well......for starters, it's his house too? and you love him very much and don't want to make him mad? what about my no name mini grays that i love so much and have no idea-I GOT IT!!!! hahaha! they're called Whip-its(no idea if that spelling is right tho:p).

any way what about one of them? just until the house buying happens tho, don't want to let him con you into giving them up totally, LOL!

i'm gonna go find some info on the whippy-its:)P.)(yes, i'm feeling silly:p:p:p:p:p!!!) be back soooooon!

Whippets may look like a miniature greyhound, but do not have the same personality as Greyhounds. Not even close! You have to know EXACTLY what you are getting into with Whippets.

Italian Greyhounds are the ones that look like miniature Greyhounds.

My heart is set on a Greyhound. I LOVE large breed dogs and Grey's have totally stolen my heart.

This is where I would probably adopt/foster from:
http://www.gpa-az.com/index.html

I looove Oliver and Cash!

I can dream. Hopefully within the next year (I hope not more!) I can have a doggie! Well, foster or "try out"... at least :p.

ETA: I just bought a used copy of Retired Racing Greyhounds For Dummies on Amazon for $6. Hopefully this will really teach more and prepaire me more for the future when I get a Grey. I love the "For Dummies" books.

I'm with you Undergunfire! I want a dog, well puppy, badly! My dog Goldie passed away less than two months ago and my older sister's dog is living with us but he is old too. I have never ever had a puppy, sad isnt it? So I want one, a young one like 7 months would be fine too. I just want a dog that I can train myself so I can teach it all the tricks. lol

Although I don't want a greyhound, sorry but I just don't like how they look all skinny and ugh!

Still thinking about a Grey!

I really want a grey brindle Grey.

I found a site with the most adorable Grey collars & leashes, for when I do get a Grey:
http://www.2houndsdesign.com/

I found a Grey forum and joined it!

Aaaaaand, my "Retired Racing Greyhounds for Dummies" book should be in my mail box tomorrow!

:p

Latest posts

Back